Finally Qualified for Boston (Read 507 times)

Please check out my post in the General Running. Got in at 3:57:47--age 64. Better yet--it was 13 seconds faster than my first marathon back in December, 1977!!--I think running negative splits on the second 1/2 helped. My 65,000 miles probably didn't hurt. LHR training worked for me. I ran more miles in '07 than I have since the early 80's by using LHR stuff. Mind you I have always trained on the slow side. I think that has been a big help in keeping me healthy and on the roads closing in on 32 yrs in April-and still loving it. Nick
    jeffdonahue

Congrats to you Nick! That is awesome. I think I need to drop like an hour and 15 mnutes off my best marathon to qualify for Boston. At my speed I think I qualify when I turn 75.
        Wow, very impressive - great job!
        "Better to take the slow approach then the no approach."
        My Quest to a Marathon blog.262quest.com
          Absolutely fantastic news Nick, way to go! When you visit the Hub of the Universe, I owe you a beer.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Way to go Nick, I remember you from the old CR forums and Runzone when you set this as your goal. To finally achieve it has to be very fulfilling. I never had a doubt that you would do it. Congratulations...and good luck at Boston!
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Running on the ocean

Yippy Kay-Ay! You rock! I'm 36 and my fastest marathon is 4:22 Confused ... Awesome! Enjoy when you're running the streets of Boston.

You know when you're running a ultra marathon because the pain actually starts to hurt
              -- Jakob Herrmann
              my running achievements