Tapering for half marathon (Read 63 times)

RepRhi

I have my first half marathon 27th March so getting into taper. This week I’ve maintained my strength (weight) & stretch sessions did one light run staying in zone 2 one steady run neither was more than 3.8 miles. Tomorrow I was going to run approx 6 steady miles.

What would you suggest from Monday? Two slow paced runs next week, scrap the strength just for core / mobility or use lighter weights for the strength?!

I normally get up early to train should I scrap the early morning alarm too to get rest?!

alexgreen1943

Can you give me some tips on running? My school is holding a game competition next week, and I will be running. I am practicing daily in the morning and evening for it, however, I need a mentor for better skills. Your help would be appreciated.

SMART Approach

I typically don't recommend much of a taper for a HALF. I actually call it Replenishment vs Taper. You don't need 2 weeks of replenishment. Depends on if athlete is fatigued, sore etc. Typically the less fit runner needs a bit of a break because they over train. The week of I would not do much for strength work after Monday.  I would keep running but just a bit less and watch intensity the 3-4 days leading up to it. Also bump up carbs a bit a few days before event.  If you over taper or take it too easy you risk losing some sharpness. Your body starts to lose skill if you take too much time off going into a race.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

All About that Pace 2024

+1

I typically don't recommend much of a taper for a HALF. I actually call it Replenishment vs Taper. You don't need 2 weeks of replenishment. Depends on if athlete is fatigued, sore etc. Typically the less fit runner needs a bit of a break because they over train. The week of I would not do much for strength work after Monday.  I would keep running but just a bit less and watch intensity the 3-4 days leading up to it. Also bump up carbs a bit a few days before event.  If you over taper or take it too easy you risk losing some sharpness. Your body starts to lose skill if you take too much time off going into a race.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I tend to agree about minimal tapering for a half.  Without knowing what you've been running for training, it's hard to say exactly, but I'll generally stop my harder workouts 10-12 days prior to a half and stick to single-digit mileage, easy-effort runs.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

alexgreen1943

Can you give me some tips on running? My school is holding a game competition next week, and I will be running. I am practicing daily in the morning and evening for it, however, I need a mentor for better skills. Your help would be appreciated.

I am practicing according to your given techniques and tricks. I feel improvement, so thanks to you.

CoralProfite

Typically the less fit runner needs a bit of a break because they over train. The week of I would not do much for strength work after Monday.  I would keep running but just a bit less and watch intensity the 3-4 days leading up to it.