First 5k? (Read 650 times)

This Saturday there is a local 5k. My long run scheduled for my marathon training is at 14 miles. I have a ten miler scheduled Thursday, five miles on Friday, and then the long run. Since it's just a 5k, would this be alright to just add on the other 10-11 miles I would need later that day? I've never ran a 5k, but would absolutely love to run it.
      This Saturday there is a local 5k. My long run scheduled for my marathon training is at 14 miles. I have a ten miler scheduled Thursday, five miles on Friday, and then the long run. Since it's just a 5k, would this be alright to just add on the other 10-11 miles I would need later that day? I've never ran a 5k, but would absolutely love to run it.
      Call me old-fashioned, but I wouldn't sacrifice or shorten my marathon training long run to run a 5k. What I would do, however, is move things around to accommodate both. For example, can you move your 14-miler to Sunday? The 5K on Saturday could replace your Friday 5 miler, since by the time you add in warmup/cooldown, you could be around five miles for the overall race anyway. In theory, a 5k on Saturday shouldn't really harm a Sunday long run, even if you go all out at the race.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

protoplasm72

Sure, I'd do it. I've run a hard 5k + 16 more easy miles instead of a normal 19 miler while training for my last marathon. I just tried to do the 16 as soon as possible after the 5k.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Call me old-fashioned, but I wouldn't sacrifice or shorten my marathon training long run to run a 5k. What I would do, however, is move things around to accommodate both. For example, can you move your 14-miler to Sunday? The 5K on Saturday could replace your Friday 5 miler, since by the time you add in warmup/cooldown, you could be around five miles for the overall race anyway. In theory, a 5k on Saturday shouldn't really harm a Sunday long run, even if you go all out at the race.
          I 2nd that emotion.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

kcam

How bout warming up with 3 or 4 very easy miles, run the 5k then run an easy 5 or 6 as a cooldown? My last 5K I biked 4 miles to the race, warmed up with 3 easy miles, ran the race, ran another 3 easy miles then hopped back on the bike back home for another 4 miles. The one before that I ran to the race - 4.5 mi - did the race - ran back home - 4.5m. Worked out really well for me - I think I'm now a believer in a good, long warmup for a short race like a 5K.
              Wow, mixed opinions lol. What about doing my fourteen on Friday and then the 5k on Saturday? I have Friday and Sat. off from work. Sunday is out of the question, have a 5.5 hour road trip.
                What about doing my fourteen on Friday and then the 5k on Saturday?
                I vote for this. Knowing that your are still building your base, I just think its important not to give up that 14 mile workout. I know some might disagree, but I personally think a 14 mile run is better for marathon training than a 3 mile race followed sometime after by an 11 mile run.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

protoplasm72

I just noticed you started an ITBS thread in the other forum. I change my vote to ice your knee and take the weekend off. ITBS does not get better if you continue to run. It only gets worse. You take a week off now and you might be able to finish out your training normally. If you keep running you could end up sitting out much longer.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

I just noticed you started an ITBS thread in the other forum. I change my vote to ice your knee and take the weekend off. ITBS does not get better if you continue to run. It only gets worse. You take a week off now and you might be able to finish out your training normally. If you keep running you could end up sitting out much longer.
                    As odd as it is, it hasn't bothered me lately, which is why I was questioning if it would be ITBS...
                      You said you're running 10 miles on Thursday. Do you think you'll recover enough from that run to run 14 miles the next day? If I did that, I don't think I'd be too psyched about my 5k time.
                        You said you're running 10 miles on Thursday. Do you think you'll recover enough from that run to run 14 miles the next day? If I did that, I don't think I'd be too psyched about my 5k time.
                        It's never bothered me before. A little bit of leg stiffness is normal after running to me. And, I'm not planning on going out and being the number one contender at this 5k.
                          I've decided against the 5k for a number of reasons. 1.) I have Fridays and Saturdays off from work (I'm a youth pastor, so Sundays are taken up by church and studying) thus if the 5k happened, I wouldn't have much of a rest this weekend. Therefore, Friday morning I sleep in and do my 5 miler at some point. Saturday morning I'll rise early, run the 14, and then relax and the rest of the day. 2.) 5k's cost money...I like my money right now too much to drive 30 miles and pay to run a non-USATF 5k...plus gas is $4.20 3.) My ITB??? or whatever it is was tender. After the tempo run on Monday it hasn't hurt. Today's 10 miler was good, I could feel slight pressure on it, but it feels 100 times better....still, I'd prefer not to strain it too much by running 24 miles on TH, F, and then doing a 5k race on Saturday. Thanks for the input though guys. 5k's come and go...right now, sleep is important to me. Smile