Philly Distance Run / Another shameless brag (Read 675 times)

I am still amped from yesterday and my 2 daughters don't seem particularly impressed with the old man ...

DW is from Philly and I used to live there so we make an annual pilgrimage ... I run this race and then we catch an Eagles game after will her HS friends -- tailgating, etc -- it's a fun day -- DW is a rabid Eagles fan.  Yesterday was literally perfect.  52 at the start ... bright blue skies ... 12,00 runners.  [Ryan Hall nudged me out for the win.]  They did a wave start which was new.  The first corral goes out with the elites.  Then they waited a full minute and walked the second corral up to the start pad ... then started the next 1,000 runners.  I would assume that they did this for the whole race.  The effect = no crowds ... no need to jockey for position -- I thought it was as great way to start especially for a larger race so that you don't get trapped in a crowd. 

As for me ... locked myself out of the hotel room having forgotten my sunglasses about 30 minutes before the 7:45 start.  Finally got someone to let me back in the room and sprinted the mile to the start.  One of the volunteers must have seen that stressed / sick look on my face and slid me into my corral even though they appeared to be closed.  [Pay it forward.]  30 seconds later - National Anthem -- then racer start you engines -- off goes the first wave.   I suppose I got a pretty good warm-up and didn't have time to get stressed out -- too close for comfort though.

This year my half's have been 1:38 [May / PR]]; 1:52 [Aug -- was sick and it was hot and humid] ... last year I ran this race in 1:48 [PR at the time] ... yesterday I PR'd with a 1:33:37 ... I am pretty stoked!

2012= under-goaled

Many congratulations, man.  Maybe you should do a one-mile sprint before all your halfs!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Haven't seen you around much Slimbo, great to see you're still making excellent progress.  Taking fifteen minutes off your PR in a year is amazing stuff.

Hope the conditions for Steamtown are just as good for you, the three weeks will be behind you before you know it.  Best of luck!

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

nice racin'. 

you probably had the adreneline running.  Which I suppose could get a guy running out too quick in a long race.  Way to control your pace and run on to a huge PR. 

The voice of mile 18

well i'm impressed! fantastic race.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Prince of Fatness

Now if the Eagles would have won it would have been perfect.  Nice work!

Not at it at all. 

Many thanks for the props.  It's appreciated.

Tim - Eagles loss was tough -- but Vick becomes active next week [aka -- hide your beagles cause vick's an eagle.]

Ed - I promised the DW that I would limit my RA crack habit to early AM uploads -- just busy as well ... but I sneak the lurks now and again.  Looks like you are setting up for an Ultra.  That recent 5k was stellar ... I understand that Albany is a really fast course -- good luck!

Doug -- maintaining my clydesdale status ... although I have been inching closer to the 200 lbs bar.  The wave start really let you feel settled into a race pace almost immediately -- talking myself out of the usual early race stupidity that has plagued me.

2012= under-goaled

ultramarathon/triathlete

way to go man, great time!  Damn that Ryan Hall!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                  Gatorade Endurance Team