10 year old running a 1/2 marathon... thoughts? (Read 2887 times)

I have a nephew who turned 10 a couple weeks ago that wants to run the mini-Indy next May (or whenever it is) with his mom or dad.  He's a decent runner, and mom & dad could both pace him, but he's never run more than a 5 mile race.  

He's run in a couple 5k's as well as a longer run (5 miles) and he really wants to run longer distances.

The Mom & Dad asked my wife and I what we thought.  (We don't know much, but I know people who do... y'all).

So, my question is, should he?  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I'd say if he wants to do it, and wants to do the training to complete it safely, let him do it.  I'd suggest that he follow a program to systematically build his long run up so he doesn't get injured in the process or during the race.

It doesn't sound like anyone is pushing him to do this.  He won't be the first 10 year old to run a race of this distance, and won't be the last. I sometimes follow the running of a boy who's my son's age (both are 12 now)  from the chicago area that runs longish races like 10ks, 10 miles, 1/2Ms etc. He does quite well for his age, and once won the chicago youth athlete of the year in the Chicago Athlete magazine.  The dad was interviewed and said he doesn't push his kid at all. If anything, he has to hold him back because his son wants to run all the time. 

There are definitely worse things in life than having a child that wants to run long distance races. 

mdolley

Funky kicks 2019

I think it's a lot for a 10 year old's body.  He wants to do it but he doesn't really understand the wear and tear on his body.  He could be setting himself up for injuries as a future runner.  There must be some research out there, or perhaps the parents could make an appointment with a physician who is also a runner to get some professional feedback.  I let my boy run a 10k at that age but I told him 14 or 15 before a half marathon.  He has his whole life to run, why risk an injury so early in life

Feeling the growl again

I'd suggest to Mom and Dad that they try to keep the pace easy and fun for him during the race.  Start with him far back in the pack, as in that particular race this will guarantee he can't blow the door off at the start.  A few longer runs in practice would be good, but since he's not racing for performance here I'd be careful about some big training plan at that age.

Other than that, I did far dumber things at that age.  I can't see how a single HM is a big deal that will wreck him, I assume he has proper running shoes and all.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

The Atlanta Half Marathon (ages 14 and up) is among the largest half marathons in the US.

A friend is letting her 12 year old run the half. The mother runs 40 mile training run  like most people run 15 milers.Could be genetics.

Any 15K's  in the area.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Just a dude.

I ran my first and only half marathon when I was 12ish.  No big deal.

I started running at 10.  I decided to do the local firecracker 10k.  No training except walking my paper route.  I ran 54 high.  My parents just kinda drove along the course to make sure I was ok.

My next run was the same race a year later.  I ran 54 low.  Same basic training. Same parents in the car type thing, tho I think they stopped and checked on me fewer times.

After that I got hooked up with a local running club and ran about once a week with them.  One of those guys paced me on the half marathon (just under 2 hours on a really tough course).  I also ran a 20 mile race and a 43 mile run over two days when I was 12ish.

I remember a day where I wanted to go to a friend's house that was in the next town over.  Mom told me she wasn't gonna drive me, so I would have to walk if I really wanted to go.  I ran about 9 miles each way to hang with my buddy for like 5 or 6 hours on a Saturday. I lived in a pretty small town, and it was a while ago.  I wouldn't recommend telling some 13 year old girl to run across New York City by herself... but for that time and place it was no big deal.

The 10 year old in the half marathon sounds like no biggie, especially with running parents there, as long as they aren't pushing him into it.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Chris UK

You may find this article interesting -

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=13368

As someone who has had some experience of running long distance at an early age I would say go for it.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Thanks, everybody.  Very helpful. 

Now, I've become an "expert" thanks to y'all and I can guide them to some credible opinions and considerations.

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Zee5229

Just let the kid have fun with it. I am 16 yrs old and am training for a marathon.Just make sure he dosen't push himself too hard and offer lots of encouragement.

What's the big deal? Aren't kids in Africa running miles to and from school? If their bodies can handle it then why can't Americans kids handle it? I remember running 5 miles when I was 12 without ever running much. I remember I was tired at the end but was fine the next day. I see two sisters in Houston who run a lot of races including the half marathon. They look younger than 10. They do well, however, I do see their parents pushing them too much. I just don't get it when the dad is on a bike pushing the older one. In my opinion, he should be running as well. 

ultramarathon/triathlete

Check out the HBO movie Marathon Boy.  

He ran tons of halfs by age THREE.  He also ran some ultras (42 miles I think) at around age 6 maybe?

Good movie too.  Weird story though.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                        Gatorade Endurance Team

mep5555

My youngest son ran the Indy Mini as his first half marathon in 2009 at age 7. He ran the first 10 miles with me at a slow pace, then took off on his own for the final 5K, which he did in 25 minutes (after a 1:47 first 10 miles). He's 10 now and has run quite a few half marathons and trail 25K's. His older brother ran his first half with his younger brother last year at age 10. So yes, he should be fine in that race...there are lots of kids who run the Indy Mini.

squirrelrunner31

My youngest son ran the Indy Mini as his first half marathon in 2009 at age 7. He ran the first 10 miles with me at a slow pace, then took off on his own for the final 5K, which he did in 25 minutes (after a 1:47 first 10 miles). He's 10 now and has run quite a few half marathons and trail 25K's. His older brother ran his first half with his younger brother last year at age 10. So yes, he should be fine in that race...there are lots of kids who run the Indy Mini.

7? I'm impressed, kid has BIG potential. . .  I can't wait to let my 9 year old read this.  He likes 5k's, ran first one at 4 years old but I can't get him to "want" to do anything longer LOL. . . tough for me because I am a distance runner.  Great job to both of your kids!

Kieker

I'm a retired collegiate T&F coach and certified USATF Level 2 in endurance events and sprints.  Having a young kid run an endurance race like a 1/2 marathon is absolutely inappropriate and abusive...even if the kid's desire IS to run such an event.  it's completely irresponsible for a parent to allow a child that young run such a race.

I'm a retired collegiate T&F coach and certified USATF Level 2 in endurance events and sprints.  Having a young kid run an endurance race like a 1/2 marathon is absolutely inappropriate and abusive...even if the kid's desire IS to run such an event.  it's completely irresponsible for a parent to allow a child that young run such a race.

Why?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes