Sub 2:00 Half Marathon thread (Read 2396 times)

hectortrojan

Miele – hows the course for your 10k? are hills involved? It so, I would do hill work one day a week and tempo/interval/hard one day a week for next week and so on. whats your goal for 10k?

Npaden – congratulations! 3:48:09 it is great timing. way to go for the first marathon. your hard work paid off.

Doctorjen – good job in getting runs on regular basis. Weather seems extreme there. It is amazing that your are recovering from the race and still ran 45 miles for the week! it is exciting that you are going to try another race for BQ this year.

Bluerun – congratulations! Excellent timing.

Wolfwalker23 – your ran your 15 miles in the exact time that you wanted to! Great job in pacing. Last time I mentioned about never running out of water and I ran out this Saturday!

Gosling – good to hear that you are recover and your shins are feeling fine

stever1966 – it is exciting that you started training for your first marathon!

me – had a good week running. Ran 40 miles for the week. I had the slowest long run this Saturday. Ran first 5 miles with wife and a friend and it was fun. Ran for total a little over 16 miles @ 13.15 minuets/mile. I was feeling so tired that I walked most of the uphill. When I finished the run, temperature was in 80s and I felt miserable. Ran out of water 30 minutes before finishing and couldn’t keep my heart rate down even on downhill and walked a lot. When I was about to finish, I was going so slow that a biker in his 60s told me to pick it up. Wife had to go to a meeting on Sunday and I asked her to drop me to the trail head and ran 12 miles at 12.06 min/mile. It was a great weekend.

EdithRevisited

If you ask

Nathan - congratulations on a great race!  The weather was perfect for sure.

Docjen - so nice to hear that you are hitting the dirt, along with the roads.  There is an interesting article in Runner's World about running on different surfaces.  Plus it is usually so peaceful in the woods.   I think your plan for November is a good one.

Bluerun - congrats to you for a most excellent race.  Hope you are feeling better.

Wolfwalker - your fast runs sound great but it is probably a good idea to slow it down a bit.

Gosling -  a September race in NY may be great, weather wise.  It usually feels nice after summer running.

Stever - yay, and welcome to the wonderful world of marathon training!  What a long and crazy time it is!

hector - a 12 mile run sounds like great recovery after your struggle the day before.  Good for you!

Miele - thanks for inspiring me to run a hard race... thought of you and your tired legs as I was running....

Me -  was waiting for the official time to be posted... So I ran a 10 mile PR of 1:22:33!  I was hoping to beat my previous time of 1:25 so I was super excited to crush it...heehee.  It was a beautiful, small race that was held for runners who "don't want to run with 40,000 of their closest friends" (Broad Street Run in Philadelphia).  It was on a towpath, with a gravel surface, 5 miles out and back.  My first mile was run at an 8 min pace, needed to slow it a bit.... And settled into an 8:15 pace.  Was scary; didn't know if I could hold it but it didn't feel crazy hard so I decided to see what would happen.  Each mile i was happily surprised to see I was maintaiNing that pace.  The last two miles I decided to just stay on pace bc I was so afraid to hit a wall, didn't want to speed it up, only to burn out before the finish line. (Wasnt racing anyone but myself). I won third in my age group which was a HUGE  surprise (my bro got first in his AG).  Was a nice time out, I wore my red socks, but was unable to enjoy the Mexican food at the post race (cinco de mayo) as my tummy never fairs well after a hard race, sipped my diet coke and went home tired and happy.

Three weeks until the full Marathon.

• Charlie Horse Half Marathon - May 25
      • PA Grand Canyon Marathon - July 27
      • Labor Pain 12 Hour Endurance - August 31 (50k...or more!)

bluerun

Super B****

Thanks for the congratulations!

Wolf -- I don't actually run that many miles... by necessity.  My body can't handle it.  I often wonder what I might be able to do if I could train like a normal person, but ... I prefer my bones intact.  Oh, and re: the diluted sports drink thing, there was a section in Fitzgerald's new book regarding the differences between fueling options (gels vs. sports drinks, etc.) that you may want to check out.

miele -- I have no idea what's up with the shoulder cramping, just that it's happened before and I didn't die!  No clue what causes it, though.  Maybe one day I'll be motivated enough to figure it out...

gosling -- the knee feels okay now, but I can tell my ITB isn't so happy... it feels really knotted up in there.  I'm seeing my PT later this week, so I may ask him to do some ASTYM on it before it gets any worse.  And yes, I have had several bone scans, which is how I know my bones suck.  I'm due for another one in October, and if it doesn't show improvement, I just might cry because it means I've spent all this money on an insanely expensive drug for nothing.  Which September 15 half were you eyeing?

stever -- of course, sub-1:40!  But I may need to wait until next year for that when I can run this race again.  Flat is good for PRs, and all.  And I think it's also good for even pacing, because I NEVER do that; I tend to try to keep an even effort, and with hills, that doesn't equal even pacing.  I hope your daughter sticks with it, that would be awesome for you both!

hector -- oh, who cares what other people think?  You got it done, and that's what counts!

Edith -- congrats on the PR!

me -- I ran a very easy half hour on the AlterG today, and now I'm not supposed to run until next week.  I hate that, but I'm going to listen this time, since I don't want a repeat of what happened after Jerusalem.  (See: shins still being annoying.)  It's weird, I guess it's because of the hills in Jerusalem, but after that race my quads were insanely sore, and this time they're fine... but my glutes are sore.  Which I guess it good, because it means that they were working hard, and supposedly most people don't engage their glutes when they run.  So, yay for my butt.  I still can't walk down stairs normally though... thank you, Achilles.  I'm getting a looong sports massage tomorrow.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

miele

Godzilla

gosling-  I'm with you on the heat thing.  But, then again, I always think it's good to train in the heat for a fall race.  Just like you're planning.  But the heat plus the Southern humidity just chews me up and spits me out.  Yay for no shin pain!  Have fun in California!

stever-  docjen's daughter followed the C25K plan very successfully.  I hope your daughter enjoys the process and gets hooked.  Sometimes I see people running with such an easy, light, smooth gait that I'm sure they must've started young.  I don't suffer from that kind of gait.  Welcome to marathon training!

hector-  Both upcoming 10ks are pretty flat.  One has some rolling hills and is run on fire trails in a park.  It's a beginner's trail race.  Not at all like Edith's trail races.  Once I feel I'm back into the speedwork, I'll incorporate hills.  I just want to do it slowly so I don't suffer a burn out like last time.  Speaking of Edith, JV means junior varsity so Edith was making the junior varsity boys' track team eat her dust.

Way to tough out a very difficult run!  That's definitely a mental victory.  Then you turn around the next day and run 12?  Nice.

Edith-  Congrats on the PR and AG win!  Fantabulous!   You should wear those red socks every race.  Good mojo.   Are you now officially tapering for the full?

blue-  I figure if you're going to cramp up during a race then the shoulder would be the perfect place to cramp.  I could be wrong about that but I'm just imagining that if I were to cramp and could pick the spot that would probably be it.  I've read that about runners not engaging the glutes.  Sounds kinda strange since you'd think the glutes would be pretty active.  Hope the massage helps.

me-  Ran 6.5 today with 3x1600s.  I didn't really expect even splits since it feels like I haven't done any speed work in forever.  7:41, 7:44, 7:49.  Not too bad but next time I'll try and hit 7:45 consistently.  Felt pretty good, though.  Then I went to the gym and did a leg workout.  I tried to take it easy since I stopped doing the legs a while ago.  I think I'm going to be sore tomorrow nevertheless.

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

I had no takers for a sub 1:45 Half thread - Can I join you all here?

I have not yet run a half - but will do my first at the Boston Run to Remember on May 26th - I would love to break 1:45 - but that may be pushing it......girls gotta dream, right?

Tara

Ready, go.

gosling

I had no takers for a sub 1:45 Half thread - Can I join you all here?

I have not yet run a half - but will do my first at the Boston Run to Remember on May 26th - I would love to break 1:45 - but that may be pushing it......girls gotta dream, right?

Tara

Many people in this thread are pursuing or already running sub 1:45s (sadly I am not one of them!) You'll fit right in.

gosling

Edith - Awesome job and congrats on the AG award! I bet that gave you a nice confidence boost going into almost-taper-time.

Hector - Sounds like a great weekend!

blue - Was thinking about the Dutchess County Classic. I have a wedding in Westchester that weekend and my parents have a house in the Hudson Valley so I'd just stay upstate the whole weekend. It's nice to have the childcare as my husband most likely won't travel with us. I haven't even looked in the city yet though so I may change my mind and run one there instead. My sister lives in Windsor Terrace and I could probably rope her into being my cheering section/childcare also. DCC is cheap and small though, right up my alley Wink

miele - Nice intervals! How do your legs feel after your week off?

tara-welcome, I think with a 10k at 43:39, a sub 1:45 HM should be doable. My 10K is 47ish and I have run 3 HMs between 1:44 and 1:46. yes you can do it.

Steve

5K/22:33   10K/47:52   21.1K/1:44:06  42.2K/4:07:37
                  2014 Goals: 5K<22:00 10K<45:00 HM<1:40  FM<3:45

hectortrojan

EdithRevisited – congratulations! Way to beat your previous best. Being 3rd in the AG is awesome!

Bluerun – good job in running easy for 30 miles and taking it easy. Its good to fully healed before getting into regular workouts.

Miele – I like your plan of not doing a hard workout before feeling normal. Being burn out during the race week is the worst thing we can do to not perform best at the race. Thanks for explaining the meaning of JVSmile nice interval run

TaraC – welcome! Your PR for 10k is 43.39. You definitely will run your first half under 1:45 with enough training.

Me – turned out that my back to back long runs on weekend made me very sore. Rode a stationary bike yesterday. Was so tired that I slept an hour more than normal. Ran a slow easy rung today (just little over 6 miles in an hour). If I feel normal, I would do a hard workout tomorrow. If not, will do only easy runs for rest of the week and taper would start after that.

Tara - welcome.   My pr for 10k is 45ish and I finished the half mara recently in 1:42....   You are going to be just fine.  I wouldn't be surprised if you broke 1:39 barrier.  Keep it up, and we will support you Smile

Edith, sweet 10 miler!  That is fast for sure.  You truly killed your old PR.  As for me,  I will be running nothing but slow runs from now until race day.  My marathon goal pace is 8.00 and I will be running 8:45's and 9:00s from now on.  Maybe a couple shorter tempo runs with 8:30 being the fast target.  Nothing under 8:30 I promise  ( evil grin Big grin )

HectorTrojan :  Ya you put some serious miles down that weekend.  Especially on trails!!  You have 12 days left, no more hardcore workouts brother!! Just rest up and stay loose.  Run those easy miles and your past training will do the rest.

Me-   I will do two runs today.  One 4 miler here in a hour or so, and another 4 miler tonight.  Both slower paces.  Until then cya guys and take care.  

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

npaden

Finally got my race report finished.  It's a novel.

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/647ef8c8d2df40f2bdae1c741b00009e#focus

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

bluerun

Super B****

miele -- hey, if you were using a Garmin, they're not 100% accurate... so those splits look pretty darn good to me!

TaraC -- welcome!  1:45 is definitely not a stretch for you with a 43: xx 10K; I just ran a 1:44:49 half with a 50:35 10K PR.  (And, okay, it's a soft PR since I broke it during said half marathon, but still.)

gosling -- aw, Dutchess County is too far for me to want to travel, but I am considering which fall half to do and it would be funny if we wound up doing the same one!

me -- I had my sports massage, which was all sorts of exquisitely painful, but it helped SO much.  I'm itching to run again, but I will be good and obey my PT's orders.  Hmph.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

miele

Godzilla

Tara-  Welcome!  There are several people here with a goal similar to yours.  Unfortunately, I've got a ways to go since I'm still trying to break 1:50 but we're all trying to get faster.  I'll echo the others in saying I believe you can do it considering your smokin' fast 10k.

gosling-  Legs are feeling pretty good, thanks for asking.  Actually, they would feel better except for the fact that I might have done a little too much at the gym.  I'm pretty sore today.  It felt good at the time, though.  Are you in California now?

hector-  I'm not surprised you're extra tired after the back-to-back runs.  You're really good at listening to your body and taking extra rest when you need it (wish I could do that) so I expect you to be back at it shortly.

Wolf-  How was your double?

blue-  Ha!  Now I've got an excuse when my pace is off.....it was the Garmin!  Of course!  When are you cleared to run again?  Glad the massage helped.

stever-  Howdy!

Nathan-  Great race and great RR!!!  I think you ran a very disciplined race and it paid off in the final miles.  The water stops sounded horrific and very stressful but I guess that's part of racing.  How're you feeling today?  Other than euphoric, that is.

me-  Well, I'm a bit sore from the leg workout yesterday so I skipped my run today.  I'm sure the soreness will be worse tomorrow but I'll still run 5-10 depending on how bad it is.

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

Npaden > Awesome race report! Heck of a race for sure. Congrats again!!!

Hey Miele, I didn't get to run a double because I saw a lot of storm clouds coming. I ran a full 8miles instead of two fours. The first 4miles I wanted around 9 min pace and I got a 9:10 which was fine. The way back I wanted a 8:30-8:45 ish pace and I got a 8:29 pace. It averaged to   8:49 pace for 8 miles. Felt really easy but I did not like the feel of running the 9:10 pace. Somewhere between 8:40-9:00 my stride seems to change and was kind of forcing me on me heels which I don't do. For 3 out of the 4 miles I was grumbling about how my feet were shuffling and not strides. My feet were kind of going out to the side instead of behind me ugh... It was just wierd. Once I picked it up the pace a little bit, the rest of the run felt effortless. I recovered in the ice pool with protein meal. feeling great now!  Good luck on your miles tomorrow, may the recovery-force be with you!

Oh..  today during my run I was coming to an intersection.  4 lanes with a divider in the middle. Imagine 2 lanes going north 1,2 and 2 lanes going south on the other side of the divider are lanes 3 4. Ok So I am waiting patiently at the crosswalk and I am on the major bike / running / horse trail here.  The walk light comes on and there were no north cars in lanes 1-2. I started to jog across and noticed two southbound cars coming downhill in lanes 3 -4.  Sooo after reading all these horror stories on this forum I have been making sure to look at these cars and make sure they stop before I cross.  I crossed lane 3 as that car was still maybe 50 yards away and the car in lane 4 was stopped still.  I barely made it into lane 4 and the #$#$@ jerk in lane 3 runs the red light at 50mph and misses me by a close call.  I threw up my hands in the WTF position but he never even saw me or the light. i was wearing a bright green shirt too..... If there had been a car coming across the other lane or ME or another family or something ugh.... $#%%# that guy.  Angry MORAL OF THE STORY =  PLEASE PLEASE everyone take extra care when crossing streets and running with traffic.  These idiots are too busy texting and twittering instead of watching the road.  Be safe out there and stare these cars down, its your life!!!

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

hectortrojan

Wolfwalker23 – ideally I shouldn’t have done back to back long runs, but I only get the change to go on trails on weekends and last Sunday wife was going to be away for a couple of hours so I couldn’t resist going back on trials. I listened to your suggestion and didn’t do any hard run today and going to do only easy runs till the race. How do you like running twice a day?It is insane how some people drive. I have noticed people crossing red lights a lot of times where there are no cameras installed. Drivers need to realize that we can kill someone if we are not carefully while driving. Sometimes I feel like getting into road biking, but because of the same fact I back off from getting into road biking.

Npaden – read your race report. Seems like you enjoyed the entire race. Your splits were awesome. Great job doing so. Didn’t look like it was your first marathon! now take some time off and recover. I remember you mentioning cutting miles to spend more time with family after the race. I am sure you family would love that.

Bluerun – good job in listening to your doctor and taking it easy.

Miele – when I realized that taking extra rest when needed is not slowing me down, it became easy to do so. You did a good job in not running because you were sore too!