Running with Glasses (Read 292 times)

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I can't see the big "E" on the eye chart. I have to run with glasses.

For years I've used an older pair of glasses, with a Croakies brand strap, to keep the glasses on my face. However, I recently left my glasses on the floor and, not surprisingly, they got stepped on. One of the arms of the glasses was sticking out at a 90° angle up from the rest of the frame - it's not supposed to do that. While the kind staff person at Lens Crafters was able to bend them back into shape, there's only so many times you can bend a paperclip until it snaps. So too with these old pair of glasses. I'm in the market for a new pair of glasses to wear while running.

For you who wear glasses while running, do you use your everyday glasses for running?

I haven't, because I find the sweat to really get my glasses pretty nasty ... particularly over time (including rusting/corroding metal parts of the frame, etc.).

Do you get speciality sport glasses for running?

Do you buy a cheap pair to use just for running?

Or do you just run blind and hope you don't die from running into a tree (I've done that) or tripping over a curb (I've done that)?

Thanks, all!

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Hip Redux

I have a pair of sport sunglasses for running and older pair of regular glasses for when I don't need sunglasses.  For me, running blind would be a bad idea lol

Walk-Jogger

I run in my everyday glasses, which are frameless and very light weight plastic lenses. My sun glasses are larger and are real glass, polarized and heavy and have a full-frame, and I've found I really prefer to run in the lighter-weight regular glasses and wear a running hat to keep the sun out of my eyes. The polarized lenses also make it hard to read a Garmin or other LCD screen.

Retired &  Loving It

GinnyinPA

I just wear my regular glasses.  They are much too expensive to have more than one pair.  I don't even have prescription sunglasses any more, I just wear clip-ons.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have 3 pair of Rx glasses...regular, photochromic Adidas frames for running/cycling, and polarized sunglasses in the car.  It's an investment in comfort, safety, and the health of my eyes.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Birdwell

I use my regular glasses as well.

I spent good money on a pair of Nike sport sunglasses that have been used 3 times in the past two years.

npaden

I've thought about buying some of the "free" glasses you see on Facebook and other places where you just need a prescription and pay shipping and handling.  I think it's coastal or something like that.

They might be ugly but who cares when you are running.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

npaden

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Mmmmm...beer

I just wear my regular glasses for most of my early morning runs.  If it's daylight out, then I have my contacts in and sunglasses on.  I haven't had any issues with either my glasses or sunglasses slipping.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I have 3 pair of Rx glasses...regular, photochromic Adidas frames for running/cycling, and polarized sunglasses in the car.  It's an investment in comfort, safety, and the health of my eyes.

I agree about the investment. Considering that I buy glasses about once every two years or so, it comes out really well ... much better $$ per day or mile than a pair of running shoes, and just as important!

My problem is this - I have a very large head. When I go into Lens Crafters or another such store that has thousands of frames in stock, there are usually only about 10 pair of everyday glasses that actually fit me which I'd consider wearing. Unfortunately, I have found that many of the "sports" frames designed for athletes don't come in my size.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Joann Y

I wear my regular glasses when I run. Sure they get sweaty. I like to consider that part of my quirky charm. I've used contacts in the past and didn't like them. Recently I bought some new glasses thinking that I'd use the old sweaty ones only for running. I don't know, the new ones are really annoying me. My prescription is getting too strong, I think, so these new glasses make my eyes hurt when reading. Like having to hold the book far away from my face to get kind of comfortable. Sucks getting older but the advantage is that I'm back to the  old glasses and the quirky charm and I really good give a sh*t what anyone thinks ; )

Joann Y

Maybe this calls for a poll!

not lazy, just tired

Not sunny -regular glasses. Sun - prescription Oakley sunglasses. Photochromic sounds great.

Not if it makes sense.

#artbydmcbride

Maybe this calls for a poll!

I enjoy polls!  

Runners run

I do not recommend running with wine glasses.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR