Tom Cruise (Read 1037 times)

Wing

Joggaholic

Uber-douche Kevin Costner is the master of this.

I notice Jackie Chan always plays himself

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I thought Daniel Day-Lewis did an incredible job as Lincoln.  One of the few times I've forgotten that somebody is acting.  I'm going to see the movie again, after I brush up on my Civil War / 13th Amendment history.  I'm going to drag my three kids to see it, too.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I watched Adventures in Babysitting a few weeks ago for the first time in about 20 years.  A pivotal (if anything can be pivotal in such a movie) scene involves the group encountering the tall, muscular, gruff owner of the body shop.  He looks like Thor.  This is a big deal since the little kid in the movie loves Thor***.

And holy shit, it's Vincent D'Onofrio.  This is a total WTF, especially for those who got to know him in Full Metal Jacket.

See also: The Cell, Men In Black.  That last one is kind of one of those makeup/effects-driven roles mentioned earlier, but it's still a looooong way from Private Pyle.  As is his character in NCSI: Whatever City.

+1 to the praise for Mr. Cruise in Born On the Fourth of July, even though that was one of my most uncomfortable theater experiences ever.  I don't remember why, but it was just me and my grandfather.  The scene with the hooker was...well, almost as embarrassing for me as it must have been for Mr. Kovic.

And Jeff Bridges is both The Man, and The Dude.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Menace to Sobriety

Vince Vaughn is the WORST when it comes to people not stretching at all. I find Wedding Crashers unwatchable because of him. Old School is borderline unwatchable. 

His commercial stuff is all very formulaic, but check him out in "Made" or "Clay Pigeons".

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Ultra Cowboy

Daniel Day Lewis made quite a stretch from Last of the Mohicans to There will be Blood.  Haven't seen Lincoln yet though.

WYBMADIITY

Save

zonykel

Geoffrey Rush does all kinds of characters. Even after winning an Oscar, he still did supporting actor jobs. As far as actors with a small bag of tricks, most of the cast from "friends" does the same thing over and over. And when they try to do something different, they suck and they are not believable.
              MrNamtor

Daniel Day Lewis made quite a stretch from Last of the Mohicans to There will be Blood.  Haven't seen Lincoln yet though.

Seriously worth seeing.

The difference between DDL in There will be blood or Gangs Of New York and Lincoln is incredible.

In defense of Tom Cruise though, did anyone mention "Born on The Forth of July"? Because he was amazing in that movie.

I won 2 tickets to see the latest Tom Cruise movie b/4 it actually is released.   I am considering going only because there is free snacks and beverages.

John Rustle

^^^fussy biatch

So I just happened to be perusing Tommy's list of movies on IMDB and was blown away by the amount of AMAZING directors that he's worked with.  Pretty impressive.  Just add Fincher and Aronofsky to make it complete. Big grin

noraW

Part-time Ninja

I actually really like Minority Report. Not a personal favorite but I did find it entertaining.

One of my favorite actors is Edward Norton.  Loved Primal Fear, loved Red Dragon, and who can forget Fight Club? He doesn't play the same role over and over again.

Women are like angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we continue to fly, on a broom, we're flexible like that...

xor

He was also the best Bruce Banner.

contentious, but how's about Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind vs 98.2% of other Jim Carrey flicks?

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

HermosaBoy

One of my favorite actors is Edward Norton.  Loved Primal Fear, loved Red Dragon, and who can forget Fight Club? He doesn't play the same role over and over again.

He was amazing in American History X!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

contentious, but how's about Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind vs 98.2% of other Jim Carrey flicks?

I can go with you on that one.  A couple of other big surprises along those lines for me were Will Ferrell in Stranger Than Fiction and Steve Carrell in Little Miss Sunshine.  Must be something to do with the double "r"s.

You know, the discussion so far has sort of focused on dramatic acting, but how about comedic actors with decent range?  I would not put Jim Carrey in that discussion, but I always like Hank Azaria when he comes out from behind the mic.  And Christopher Guest is not only a genius director, IMO, but he always comes up with great characters in his and others' movies.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

You know, the discussion so far has sort of focused on dramatic acting, but how about comedic actors with decent range?  

perhaps that could apply to Sasha Baron Cohen (look, no "rr"s) in the not too distant future, as he's to play the lead in the Freddie Mercury biopic.  

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.