Hot chocolate 15 k DC (Read 985 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I do think internet message boards and facebook and suchlike help cause online mob effects, where you get kind of silly over-the-top emotional spouting off, which can kind of obscure the underlying issues. Probably this one is especially subject to that effect...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

Ok, same topic from me because I'm not familiar with the theme/hook/whatever about these races.

What's so cool about "Hot Chocolate" that 20k people would pony up 45 bucks for a 5k????

Everything screwy about this race is VERY screwy, but this seems pretty odd too.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Ok, same topic from me because I'm not familiar with the theme/hook/whatever about these races.

What's so cool about "Hot Chocolate" that 20k people would pony up 45 bucks for a 5k????

Everything screwy about this race is VERY screwy, but this seems pretty odd too.

Yeah my friends who ran them were women and liked the idea of I run for chocolate.  But the price is ridiculous. 

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JimR

Sounds like RAM has realized people will fork out good bucks just to do something they can literally accomplish for free, and social spam is a good way to achieve that.  Read this person's account of the event and how they came to sign up:

http://twentyfivebeforetwentyfive.blogspot.com/2011/12/hot-chocolate-15k-race-recap.html

Ghirardelli (sp?) chocolate apparently gets people to do react with emotion rather than logic.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

http://twentyfivebeforetwentyfive.blogspot.com/2011/12/hot-chocolate-15k-race-recap.html

Yeah, sure.

But she also complained that she was famished during a 9 mile race.  And that they should have fed her on the course.

Really?  Famished?  During a race?  Of just 9.3 miles?  And that is the race's fault?

Really?

Anyhow, last marathon I ran, total suckage.  No way hot chocolate could have come even within an order of magnitude of that one.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Anyhow, last marathon I ran, total suckage.  No way hot chocolate could have come even within an order of magnitude of that one.

Let me guess - they actually ran the participants through active traffic lanes, instead of just next to them.

JimR

Yeah, sure.

But she also complained that she was famished during a 9 mile race.  And that they should have fed her on the course.

Really?  Famished?  During a race?  Of just 9.3 miles?  And that is the race's fault?

Really?

OMG, you're right.  Clearly this person cannot be trusted.

xor

Fondue!

BTW, the writeup doesn't mention it, but I caught it in the apology.... so they sent the $45 5kers off in the wrong direction.  Oh man.

christyturns25

I never blamed the race for the fact that I was hungry during the run. Yes, I was hungry on a 9.3 mile run because I sat in traffic for 2.5 hours.  I never blamed the race for that and I never said that they should have fed me. I simply stated it as a fact of my experience running the race. I didn't  say the race should have fed me on the course, I said that I would have liked some Gatorade but couldn't get to it. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I got a bit warm last race I ran.  There was a big hill too.

I dunno.  To me it reads like a review of the race, and it reads (to me) as if the race was responsible for you hunger.  That may not have been what you intended, but again, that is how it reads.

Smile

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

they sent the $45 5kers off in the wrong direction.  Oh man.

Yeah.  Bad.

Very bad.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Let me guess - they actually ran the participants through active traffic lanes, instead of just next to them.

Well, sure, that was part of it.  The race was run on an open road that was NOT closed to traffic, AT ALL.  And there was no traffic control.  Just racers versus cars.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Well, sure, that was part of it.  The race was run on an open road that was NOT closed to traffic, AT ALL.  And there was no traffic control.  Just racers versus cars.

Are you gonna give us the name of this race? I mean, why not turn this into a thread about bad races -- seems appropriate enough Smile

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Last marathon I ran...don't even wanna utter its name.