Upcoming race...oncoming cold (Read 499 times)

Giants Fan

Murphy's Law...I have a half-marathon coming up on Sunday and of course, I'm battling an oncoming cold. Only thing that bothers me is that it seems to be settling in my chest also. (no wisecracks please) Anyway...what can I do? I've been taking Airborne and Zinc...any suggestions? I really would like to still run and finish with a decent time. CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have no suggestions--I had to bail on a 10 mile race last month. That'll teach me to not wait until race day to register whenever possible. Black eye Get your rest, take it easy, up the fluids...not much you can do, other than that. I don't know that anyone has really found a way to rush the common cold virus through its course any faster. Sad

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

That sucks. Keep up with the zinc! You have a few alternatives: Don't run and save it for another 1/2. Run it but know you're not going to be at 100%. As I run more, I find this option less desirable as it's a constant reminder that you're not 100% Go down to a lesser distance, if possible, like a 10K. If you don't run, consider volunteering at the event. You'll find it very rewarding and you'll gain a greater appreciation of the work that goes into an event. My job at the last event I worked was to cut chips off of shoes. So many people thanked me for volunteering.

2008 Goals

Run Jax Bank 12/21/08 under 4 minutes (1st marathon)
        5K 23.99
        10K 50.40
        1/2 1:52
        Manage injuries so I can stick to training plan
        Make healthy food choices