Are Trail Shoes Warmer? (Read 112 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

If trail shoes are waterproof or water resistant, are they also warmer than regular running shoes?  Are some materials warmer than others?

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Generally no.  It's the socks that make a difference.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Generally no.  It's the socks that make a difference.

I switch to hiking socks in the winter. Still wool like I wear all summer but a bit thicker.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Merino wool, baby.  They keep my feet toasty over here in Grand Haven (assuming you're from the GR area based upon your signature).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Merino wool, baby.  They keep my feet toasty over here in Grand Haven (assuming you're from the GR area based upon your signature).

Ha no, he lives in the Chicago suburbs, he just runs HMs all over the place. GR Marathon was actually my first, and still one of my favorites, other than the fact I was totally miserable for the last ~8 miles.

I love SmartWool socks, but I finally stopped buying them, because they seemed to get holes way faster than others.

This morning for 6 miles my route was completely covered in slush, at 32 degrees. My feet got completely wet & frozen pretty quickly, and stayed that way throughout the run; some toes were still numb for quite some time afterwards. Would the right socks have made a difference?

Dave

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The only winter socks I have are SmartWool and I don't think they help that much.  It just feels like I'm wearing sandals when it gets below 20* and that's why I was hoping that the trail shoe might keep the cold out.  Maybe some duck tape will help.  I run on an asphalt bike path and try not to run in slush or snow.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Ha no, he lives in the Chicago suburbs, he just runs HMs all over the place. GR Marathon was actually my first, and still one of my favorites, other than the fact I was totally miserable for the last ~8 miles.

I love SmartWool socks, but I finally stopped buying them, because they seemed to get holes way faster than others.

This morning for 6 miles my route was completely covered in slush, at 32 degrees. My feet got completely wet & frozen pretty quickly, and stayed that way throughout the run; some toes were still numb for quite some time afterwards. Would the right socks have made a difference?

I hear you. The quality in Smartwool has really gone down the last few years, but I still wear them. I think I might try some Icebreaker wool socks next.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

There are some shoes with Goretex uppers.  They will be warmer.  I think Brooks has some kind of less permeable upper, too.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Joann Y

Huh. I never have a problem with feet getting cold when it's super cold outside. I wear the usual socks and shoes. It's usually my hands and fingers alternating between freezing without gloves/mittens or sweating and too hot with.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Huh. I never have a problem with feet getting cold when it's super cold outside. I wear the usual socks and shoes. It's usually my hands and fingers alternating between freezing without gloves/mittens or sweating and too hot with.

Same here.  My feet never bother me.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I hear you. The quality in Smartwool has really gone down the last few years, but I still wear them. I think I might try some Icebreaker wool socks next.

Icebreaker are good, as are Darn Tough and Point 6.  I no longer buy Smartwool.  They were good 5+ years ago, but ones bought more recently than that haven't held up well at all.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

No cold feet here either, like Joann Y said, only cold fingers. I use a pair of liner gloves that KIND of work. I wear Darn tough socks too, the No show light cushion, wear those bitches everywhere. I don't think you can wear them out.

Yeah shoes and socks don't seem to make any difference as long as I'm wearing some. If my core is warm enough my feet stay warm and if not they get cold.

Runners run

Christirei

Agree, feet no problem, but hands bother me! best solution so far has been a pair of thin liner type gloves that have a mitten piece that slides over my fingers, when i start out and it's freezing then i slip the mitten over my fingers and i am fine, once i get warm and my hands get hot i slip the mitten piece off and tuck it back into the glove and my hands can cool off that way. i found them at TJ Maxx  Smile

Daydreamer1

You may want to try some of these http://www.hanzusa.com/.

My feet bother me quite a bit once it gets into the 20's. I found these years ago when I was riding my bike through the winter. Since they are waterproof they also block the wind and keep your body heat in. I've run into the low teens with these and have little problems with cold feet.

The pair that I have do not really stretch very much. Rather they fit more like a loose bootie so you have to wear a base layer. Obviously that means a tighter fit in your shoes so you have to take that into consideration. I've had no problems with blisters in runs of up to 12 miles. I can't remember if I've run further than that in them. I just take more time to smooth things out when putting my shoes on.

Your feet will get wet from sweat. For me I'd rather have warm but wet feet,  than dry but frozen feet.  When I get home I just make sure I take care of my feet so there is no skin breakdown from being wet.

Oh yea, they are not cheap, but I'm sure your friendly neighborhood banker will be happy to give you a loan .

Hope this helps.  For me they are the difference between running outside or staying inside when the temp is in the 20s or lower.