Seeking Advice for returning to running from ITBS (Read 910 times)

I started having ITBS symptoms about a month ago after a HM. Stupidly because of a PR I decided to pick up mileage to run a full marathon in the fall. After 3 weeks of running with varying degrees of pain. I decided to stop running and try and heal. I am planning to wait another week to see if the symptoms stop. Pain is gone but I still feel some weakness in the knee climbing stairs and the IT Band feels tight. I am doing some stretching. Assuming the weakness and tightness disapate over the next week, how should I resume running to best prevent a reaccurance?

gimme some sugar, baby

I don't check this board frequently so if your reply, I probably won't see it. But I'll point you to some things that may help you. First off, check out the tutorial at www.saveyourself.ca for IT Band injuries. I think it might cost money now, but that tutorial saved me. Paul, the author of the site, really knows his stuff. Secondly, I'll give you a few links to places in my running log where I have recovered from IT band injuries. I don't know if this will help you but you can see what I did... 1) http://www.runningahead.com/logs/410638778070421b8eeb6528356bb542/calendar/2008/4 This is my most recent bout and recovery, and definitely my most successful comeback. 2) http://www.runningahead.com/logs/410638778070421b8eeb6528356bb542/calendar/2007/3 This is my second most recent bout and extremely slow recovery. You can watch me deteriorate after the marathon (the 18th) and then suffer for many months on the bike (not the best idea) and resting (slightly better idea) but not enough swimming without my legs (the best way to cross train with IT band issues). 3) http://www.runningahead.com/logs/410638778070421b8eeb6528356bb542/calendar/2003/11 This is my least recent and final IT band injury and recovery. The entries here are a little funny because I imported them from coolrunning, and no cross training entires show up [I was in the pool and on the bike]. This was also while I was running on the XC/Track team @ William & Mary, so I was getting ultrasound (which is great for IT Band stuff), but I also accelerated my running post-injury faster than I should have and ended up with tons more crap later (see the months ahead). Good luck. Hopefully I'll check this board to see how you do.
      George: Runner/Law Student
      www.gimme-five.com
        ive been back for only 3 weeks now from my injury, but luckily i have found what works for me. i did my round of physical therapy, and then i found some yoga moves (through trial and error) that really seem to stretch my hip out well. ( i never knew i had tight hips until going to therapy. never had any pain in the hip. once i get them nice and relaxed, everythign else falls into place) now every time before i go out and even the day before, i do those 2 or 3 yoga stretches a couple of times and make sure i don't build my base more than the 10% rule every week. it seems to be taking FOREVER to get back up to what i was running, but i'm not chancing it again. many people swear by the foam roller or the Stick, but i havent needed to use these things since introducing yoga into my life 2x a week. (i rented some dvds from the library, so i'm not paying for something i might not like). but basically trial and error will be the only thing for a while. just dont aggrivate it!!
          Update on recovery Took 10 days off running. Started with 30 minutes of walking on treadmill and have graduated to 30 minutes total of 5 min walk and 5 min recovery run. Finish with a 15 min ice bath. DW doesn't think I am nuts just knows I am nuts. Went to doctor, who perscribed Pennsaid a topical NSAID. I have started PT and have been going to MT. Pain has stopped, though there is tightness in the hamstring. I am doing stretching 3-4 times a week. I am following a 7 week program to resume running. Key lesson. Be patient and ease back into training.