Flat 4 Turn Marathon? (Read 99 times)

Seems easy enough to create... No?

If we're trying to break records anyway...?

300m- 37 sec.

Still kicking

This one is pretty close, 6 turns. Coming up next month

Chisholm Trail

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

I counted 25 turns on Chisolm Trail. Maybe those gradual ones aren't really "turns". Also, it's two laps. Might be able to call it an 11 turn marathon if only counting the 90 degree turns.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Still kicking

Whoops... I forgot it's two loops... so I'll go with 11 turns. The meandering areas aren't turns at all. I've ran the course, and if you are a good tangent runner, those are great places to make time. This is a new race (inaugural) and I'm looking forward to running it. Our local fall marathon uses much of this course in the first half, but then the second half is in another direction. Everyone has alway said the first half was so fast, and wished they would just make it two loops for a super fast BQ type race. So finally someone did it! And since we don't have a spring marathon around here, they decided to do it in the spring. I think this race has to potential to be a good one, and really grow.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

mikeymike

Why though? Is there any evidence that the number of turns is a limiting factor?

Runners run

Seattle prattle

rlopez

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

Seattle prattle

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left" ...but make one more right and you're right back to where you left.

Right?

Half Crazy K 2.0

There is a one near me on a rail trail that is 2 turns. You run a loop on the road around a private boarding school, then turn right onto the rail trail, run 12+ miles to the turnaround. It ends on the rail trail, so only 2 turns. It's not totally flat--1% grade, so it's a slight uphill on the way out and downhill on the back.

Aren't there a few point to point marathons?

The Bizz Johnson in Susanville CA has very few sharp corners, and drops 1300' in the last 20 miles. Finish is about 1000' below the start. Averages about 4500' elevation, though.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Aren't there a few point to point marathons?

The Bizz Johnson in Susanville CA has very few sharp corners, and drops 1300' in the last 20 miles. Finish is about 1000' below the start. Averages about 4500' elevation, though.

I think the OP was implying a record eligible course, which this course would not be due to the PTP nature of it, and probably the elevation drop as well.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

I think the OP was implying a record eligible course, which this course would not be due to the PTP nature of it, and probably the elevation drop as well.

Bizz claims to be certified and BQ qualifier, I don't know if that also means it's record eligible. There are probably faster courses, because Bizz is at moderate elevation and much of it is on dirt roads. I just used it as an example of a point to point that I know of.

mikeymike

The requirements to be record eligible are very different from being entry standard eligible. Boston, CIM and any other point-to-point course or courses with significant elevation drop would not be record eligible.

Runners run

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

And two (W)rights make an airplane!

Seattle prattle

And two (W)rights make an airplane!

Which begs the question: if there were two Wrights and one left, there's one Wright left, right?