What to do at stoplights /crosswalks??? (Read 762 times)

When running in the early morning -- look around.

If no cars coming then continue running.

If one car coming, wait without pushing button, allow car through intersection, proceed on run without slowing down other cars by making them wait through a "WALK - DON'T WALK" cycle.

I get particularly annoyed by people who push the crossing request button and then jaywalk without waiting for the crossing permission, so when the little green man does appear then the person is long gone but we all have to wait for the cycle anyway.

I am the same way!  I get annoyed when folks mash all the buttons which causes a long delay.  (It adds about 40 seconds to the light cycle where I live because there 8 lanes of traffic, 4 in each direction, so they set a long amount of time in there for them slow walkers to cross that big distance.  So everyone is waiting, no one moving, but the walker is long gone.

I don't use the button, ever.  I usually go with the light if it is heavy traffic, but I will cross without waiting if the road is clear.

To be honest, I think an observant and aware person who does not mash the button is probably safer than the folks I see who mash the button, then start walking automatically when the white walk light comes on.(Often while their eyes are on their cellphone)...  Many of those folks never even look to the side to see if anyone is coming!   People do occasionally run red lights... and folks make right turns on red without ever looking both ways first for walkers or bikers.    It would be the car's fault, but what does that matter if you are croaked!

It usually takes 2 to have an accident like that:  One person who slips up and runs a red light for whatever reason, and the other who puts 100% trust in a white light and just goes on autopilot with no situational awareness.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

i keep things simple,  don't use a garmin but use a polar hr monitor w/o strap to keep total time.  don't bounce & keep watch going.  if stopped by hwy traffic  or train will subtract 30-90 scds of so from total time.  makes very little difference. been doing this running thing for awhile & am pretty good at knowing pace & therefore distance.  if doing intervals or tempos will go to track/lake loop (1.63 miles/lap) or trail where there will be no interruptions.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

To be honest, I think an observant and aware person who does not mash the button is probably safer than the folks I see who mash the button, then start walking automatically when the white walk light comes on.

Towns without traffic signs make things safer for pedestrians and increase traffic flow.

While most enjoy the change, apparently the blind don't see it the same way.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Towns without traffic signs make things safer for pedestrians and increase traffic flow.

While most enjoy the change, apparently the blind don't see it the same way.

Our city is making a big move away from signals toward traffic circles.  Drivers were skeptical at first, but are finding that traffic is moving better as a result.  I am not so sure they are safer for pedestrians, though.

Am I doing this right?

Our city is making a big move away from signals toward traffic circles.  Drivers were skeptical at first, but are finding that traffic is moving better as a result.  I am not so sure they are safer for pedestrians, though.

There is a city nearby that has done the same thing.  The first thing I thought of when driving through one for the first time was how I would never want to be running near that intersection with lots of traffic.  Looks like a death trap.

As for stoplights/crosswalks...can't help you as I never encounter them.

No excuses....

xhristopher

We've got these. I agree they move traffic along much better than lights but, in my experience, I'm not so sure they make it easier for pedestrians or bikes. I cross several on my routes and sometimes it's an absolute guessing game as to where a car is going to exit.

drrbradford

I stop my garmin if I'm not running. That includes "walking" through an intersection or even just slowing down to dodge cars through an intersection.

I don't care about my walk/stop time or speed, I care about my running time/speed so the watch only goes on those periods.

+1

Also, being a Brit I have to deal with many, many roundabouts (our name for traffic circles at least in most parts of the country). They can be good and bad. If it's busy then most of the time a driver will let you cross.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Stop my watch and just tand there looking pissed waiting for the light to change.  Sometimes I'll even stretch a bit.

I don't stop the watch.  I let it keep rollin'.  For easy runs I don't care about my time.  If it isn't an easy run, then I won't be doing it where a stoplight  gets in the way.  I've also been known to jazzercise at intersections. Big grin  I hate stopping since it is hard to get my body cranked up after a long rest (Hate "standing rest" track repeats for this same reason!).  Sometimes I'll do jumping jacks, high knees or butt kicks.  I don't care if it looks dumb...maybe it is entertaining for the drivers around.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

DanMoriarity

I always just stop my watch and stand there and wait. If I have a tempo run scheduled I'll make sure my course doesn't include stop lights, but for easy runs I don't worry about it at all. I don't think the brief stop has any effect on the workout.

Loves the outdoors

I always stop my watch and I generally walk across the busy pedestrian crossings to ensure I'm fully engaged with the traffic, rather than running. I started doing this after Milktruck's accident. I also never jog in place, just stand there staring out the cars until some finally stop at the crossing.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Stop my watch and just tand there looking pissed waiting for the light to change.  Sometimes I'll even stretch a bit.

Sometimes I'm standing there wondering if I'm going to piss if the traffic doesn't hurry up.

MTA: That could account for some of the dancing runners you see at intersections.

Sometimes I'm standing there wondering if I'm going to piss if the traffic doesn't hurry up.

I don't think pissing on traffic will help, but then again I haven't tried it.

Feeling the growl again

Typically I just stand there and wait for an opportunity to cross (I usually don't care about the signal unless there is a police car at the intersection).

If I want to get in a good surge, I'll pound on the hood of a car that deliberately sticks its nose into the crosswalk.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

1. Stop watch

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com