Dew point / humidity (Read 444 times)

Docket_Rocket

I am basically miserable.  I like that equation.  It has me at 150-170.  Great.

I was depressed before and it's only JUne..... Wink

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I'm for the dew point box as well.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Or our workout entry could have a checkbox for Humid, meaning that we were feeling the humidity on this run.

+1

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Here's a cool metric I came up with a while back. I call it the Misery Index: Temp + Dew Point = Misery Index.

You will start to feel affects above 130. 140-149 and you finish your run like you swam in a pool. 150-159. It will feel like death is running behind you,  blowing his stank humid breath on you. 160+.... don't even bother...

This is the same as DoppleBock's Yuck Factor. My daughter and I use this all the time to describe the weather and your thresholds are about right. Until this morning's run, 9 out of my last 10 runs were between 145 and 160--YUCK.

This morning's was a glorious 129 (65 temp + 64 dew point.) The humidity was 97% and I was still soaked when I finished but I was cool.

Runners run

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I guess I have a low tolerance.  This morning the temp was 62 and the dew point was 60, and I still felt yucky.  I miss winter.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

At this moment our misery index is 166.  I'm tempted to take the challenge, but I'll be biking home from work, and that may be enough to knock some sense into me.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Humidity blows (I should know, I live in Alabama), but for my money, nothing turns a run into a big ball of suck faster than direct sunlight.  A miserable number in that equation is a whole more tolerable if it's overcast or dark.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

dennrunner

At this moment our misery index is 166.  I'm tempted to take the challenge, but I'll be biking home from work, and that may be enough to knock some sense into me.

Today I rode 20 miles ending about noon with a misery index of 166. No problem at all. Then I ran 4 miles (only 4 miles). Problem.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Today I rode 20 miles ending about noon with a misery index of 166. No problem at all. Then I ran 4 miles (only 4 miles). Problem.

I'm still considering doing both.

Mmmmm...beer

The other day it was 77* with a dewpoint of 77* at 4:30 in the morning, brought on a whole new level of sweat.  When I got back my wife asked me if it had rained while I was out there. lol

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Oh roo roooo!

The other day it was 77* with a dewpoint of 77* at 4:30 in the morning, brought on a whole new level of sweat.  When I got back my wife asked me if it had rained while I was out there. lol

Yeah, hub said "oh, you must have found some sprinklers to run thru to cool off today!"  Ah, no, actually that's NOT what happened...

L Train

Humidity blows (I should know, I live in Alabama), but for my money, nothing turns a run into a big ball of suck faster than direct sunlight.  A miserable number in that equation is a whole more tolerable if it's overcast or dark.

Ran in a "Yuck factor" over 150 this morning. More like a suck factor...

I dream that I may be able to run 30 seconds per mile faster in cooler weather and feel good about it, never mind that my legs may not be able to get me to the HR I am running at in this weather.

TJoseph

I dream that I may be able to run 30 seconds per mile faster in cooler weather and feel good about it, never mind that my legs may not be able to get me to the HR I am running at in this weather.

I have been travelling back and forth to Guam this year for work.  It is usually 77-80 degrees with a dewpoint of 75-77 at 4:30 in the morning when I run there.  When I come home, I am at least 30 seconds per mile faster for the same effort than when I run in Guam and that is at 7000 feet elevation too.