What to do next? Thinking ahead... (Read 656 times)

redleaf

I am working on my learn to run program (from a book). I'm on week 7 (of 13 weeks). I had to repeat week 6 and have to repeat week 7 (it was 10 minutes running, 1 minute walking 5 times and I could only do 3 the first time; but I could only do half of week 6 day 1 the first time!) so I'm guessing it's going to take me more than 6 weeks to finish the program. You can see my log to get more info I guess. I am doing a 5k race on September 28 - the day of the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon. The local shop "The Running Room" runs some clinics. http://www.events.runningroom.com/hm2/?running=true There's a 5k running clinic that starts at the beginning of October. There are also "Learn to Run" clinics. I won't have finished my own "learn to run" by then so I'm not sure which I should I do. I would stop my own schedule and pick up with the clinic. I am enjoying my running so far (amazingly enough) and don't want to push it - although on the other hand, I know I am a much better goalie for having played a couple of levels above where I usually do. Do you think there is some minimum ability requirement (or recommendation) for a 5k running clinic? Do I risk getting bored with the "learn to run"? Someone suggested by that time I might be ready for the challenge of the 10km running clinic which I honestly hadn't considered. (for what it's worth, my mom's first reaction was "talk to your uncle, he runs" and "I think 5 km is far." My Dad's? Do the 10km) My long term goal would be to be able to run 10 k (haven't decided at what speed yet) and participate in triathlons with hopefully a supersprint in early Spring 2009 as my very very first. Thanks very much for your help!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

You have a month until your 5K race. That's a good chunk of time to build your fitness and/or endurance. If you are looking for a clinic in October, I would probably go with the 10K. You'll have the experience of a 5K race behind you and the LTR will be behind you since you are doing 10:1 intervals now. Can you wait to see how the race goes before you pick the clinic? You might surprise yourself and do far better than you expect which would suggest you can do the 10K clinic. You've already been doing 5k runs. Good luck.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Can you talk to someone at the running shop that leads the clinic. I'd start there, and get their feel for where you should start. Since they're running it (no pun intended) they know the experience level you would need, and what will be covered. If not, I'd say start with the 5K clinic. There's always something new to learn, especially by having soemone there to advise you on what you're experiencing (vs a book which can only give you the answers the author came up with). I'm not putting book programs down, but there's no better teacher than experience. Also, as the experts here say, take it slow. Build your miles, build a base, and avoid injury. Trying to push too much too soon is a quick road to doing almost nothing for a while, as you recover. You've got the rest of your life to run.
          First off - I think your doing really well - Congrats on starting and sticking with it....it definately gets easier wiith time. I think it makes more sense for you to stick to 5K's and a 5K program for now and as you feel comfortable perhaps work your way up to a 5 mile runs (race) somewhere. You are new to running and you are carrying extra lbs......you need to be careful not to get hurt, get tired of running (from doing too much) or simply quit because it all seem to difficuly - not saying you cant do it - saying that most beginners underestimate how long it takes to see good improvement and get impatent and try to do too much - and try to run too far - and that often results in injury, boredom, fatigue and on and on and on...... If you stick to shorter distance (for a while) and get some hands on training from the 5K clinic, it may take a little longer, but you will have a much higher possibility of success, more knowledge and a stronger base. Running is a long term process - so think of it in term of increasing your ability over the years and not weeks...... I suspect the "learn to run' clinic will be pretty good and you might get to run with other people like you that are just starting out --- this will be some great motivation and if you happen to be a little ahead of some of them, all the better for your motivation and running self esteem Wink -- besides it will be fun.... I am a more experienced runner and finally joined a running club and now have a coach.......Cant believe how much Im learning from him and from running once per week with a group (instead of always going it alone).... I think you should give the 5K clinic a shot....

Champions are made when no one is watching

If your schedule says run for 10 mins., 5 times and you can only manage 3. Start off running slower this will jusy have to give you more energy. Yes it is possble to run even at a 17 min/mile pace. My two girls thought they'd run with me one day. I said I was going for 25k, they thought they could do it. Well they couldn't and they short turned. When I was 3 blocks from home I saw the 2 girls upahead. I was very surprised one was walking and her sister was running alongside. I never thought a person could run so slow but there was no doubt she was running, she wouldn't giveup. Just slow down. Now when you are running slow, continue with the running motion use your arms just like you do when running fast. Do not take the approach, I'll just walk at this speed. I have seen a few runners in their 80's on the bike paths they are running very slow..but they are running. 5km is far, when you reach that goal you can either try and get faster or try and run longer. Running longer will make you faster, but running faster won't help with running longer. I think running in a group is much better, so the running clinics are the way to go. You just have to get in with the right group and hopefully the clinics have a group suitable to you. Hangout and watch some of the groups. Start from day one don't try and catch on midstream.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

redleaf

If your schedule says run for 10 mins., 5 times and you can only manage 3. Start off running slower this will jusy have to give you more energy. Yes it is possble to run even at a 17 min/mile pace. My two girls thought they'd run with me one day. I said I was going for 25k, they thought they could do it. Well they couldn't and they short turned. When I was 3 blocks from home I saw the 2 girls upahead. I was very surprised one was walking and her sister was running alongside. I never thought a person could run so slow but there was no doubt she was running, she wouldn't giveup. Just slow down. Now when you are running slow, continue with the running motion use your arms just like you do when running fast. Do not take the approach, I'll just walk at this speed. I have seen a few runners in their 80's on the bike paths they are running very slow..but they are running. 5km is far, when you reach that goal you can either try and get faster or try and run longer. Running longer will make you faster, but running faster won't help with running longer. I think running in a group is much better, so the running clinics are the way to go. You just have to get in with the right group and hopefully the clinics have a group suitable to you. Hangout and watch some of the groups. Start from day one don't try and catch on midstream.
              It isn't that I didn't have the energy - I had to stop because my calves were starting to hurt. No matter how slow I go, there's still all of me coming down on my legs. All the stuff I've read so far on here tells me to listen to what my body tells me and not try to finish what's there just 'cause "it's there." Even during my cool down they were aching. I'll finish the rest of the week and then try it again.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

It isn't that I didn't have the energy - I had to stop because my calves were starting to hurt. No matter how slow I go, there's still all of me coming down on my legs. All the stuff I've read so far on here tells me to listen to what my body tells me and not try to finish what's there just 'cause "it's there." Even during my cool down they were aching. I'll finish the rest of the week and then try it again.
                You are correct don't try and run through pain, ever. Try to use some energy in placing your foot down easily rather than just letting gravity take over and slamming your foot back to the ground. Try shuffling, just don't pickup your legs as high. Alberto Salazar did well by shuffling. I checked your log (Go figure), I think you're doing great, keep at it the best things are worth waiting for.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius