What to wear for marathon (Read 1893 times)

I'm running my first marathon Sunday (Twin Cities).  The forecast as of now indicates the following:

42-43 Farenheit at the start

46-47 Farenheit around my expected finish time

Overcast, very slight chance of rain.

Wind at 8 mph

I'm not sure what to wear.  If it was above 50, I'd go with short sleeves.  I'm thinking long sleeves for sure.  Do I need anything more, like a vest?  Or a very light jacket?  I expect to run it in around 4 hours.  Thanks.

ymmv

I would consider a singlet under a throw-away shirt. I've dressed too heavily for 3 of 4 marathons. My 4th was 50 degrees or so and quite windy. I was fine in a singlet, and I'm from Maryland. You're from Minnesota, right? you might ditch the singlet, too! Smile

I'll be there with you Bdags. 

I'm planning on a singlet, but wearing a throw away shirt and gloves at the start.  I'm guessing they'll both be gone by the time I hit the lakes, maybe even before I'm out of the shadow of the Dome.

uncontrollable

I run around that time frame.  50 ish I know I am good with shorts, tank, thin one size fits all gloves (maybe keep - maybe toss).  Figure core body temp going up approx 20 degrees once fully warmed up.  So, 40 is like running in the 60 degree range. 

Depending on your build: skinny-tend to be cold or a little more medium build & tend to sweat easy ... you can adjust.  I would say shorts - a couple light type layers as the previous person suggested - one layer COULD be tossed if you get too toasty, if not - the extra layer will help keep your core warm enough.  A thin cheap throw away hat if it's 40 really holds heat in but would most likely be tossed by a few miles.

Rain is always tricky, as is a windy forecast, not only can it add a chill but it can actually very sneakily dehydrate you more than usual.  If possible - bring a few options close to the start & decide as close to starting as possible.  Forecasts are so not on the money.

Just remember, most people struggle with this on some level, especially with the first few times you do a race this distance.  You will see a great mix off attire at the start - don't get distracted or persuaded into something at the last minute.  Once you decide what you're going to wear - feel confident & know if it isn't 'just right' you'll still have a great race ... it's part of the learning 'what works for you' - you have to go through it first to really know!

Bottom line, good luck, HAVE FUN, & don't over think the wardrobe too much!

peace

Singlet and throwaway it is.  I tried it this morning on my 2 miler.  Seemed OK.  Thanks.
              Singlet and throwaway it is.  I tried it this morning on my 2 miler.  Seemed OK.  Thanks.

dont forget the shorts as might be some families around

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!