Half Marathon Race- came in first place in my age group !! (46 yrs old) (Read 1041 times)

De-slacking in progress

OK- it was a virtual race against me, myself and I but I made you look !!!! Wink I am in training for a real HM on April 19 in New Philadelphia, Ohio and have only ran a 13.1 distance easy run pace once before. Today scheduled run was only suppose to be 12 miles but i felt good for the first 6 miles and was running by feel even though I kept glancing down at my garmin every time it beeped at the mileage markers. I saw I was running 9m/m or less each mile at the 6 mile point so I said what the heck lets turn this into a 13.1 mile VIRTUAL race against myself and see how I can do as a test. I did great but then I bonked MENTALLY near the 9 mile mark and wimped out and walked about 30 sec and did that about 3 more times during the final stretch. It kind of pissed me off that I walked at all but when I got to the 12 mile mark I new I could bag my GOAL of 1:57 for a HM so I HTFU and poured it on- at least poured it own as far as this balding 47 yr old fat guy can do at that distance. When I hit stop on my Garmin 305 it said 1:57 and I was so happy I about shouted HURRAY. I did do a fist pump though Big grin http://www.runningahead.com/logs/52e46b4b1bfb456ab14731f50b2aef4e/workouts/d2ba5942f0e74d8d8487ad41892e1864 So I have another month and a half of running to do and lots of more mileage to put in so I Have it in me mentally to do this !! Also- after entering my data- I notice that this week is my all time high of weekly mileage ran broke the 40mpw mark Big grin

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Nice work man
        Im impressed -- especially since Im running HALF in two weeks and what you ran today is precicely what I want to run on the 15th...... Good job --- you should really be in good shape for you real HALF Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching

Dave

Really nice job, Slap. Your HR was pretty steady at over 160 until your "mental bonk". Kind of confirms that you probably had it physically to continue. Graph didn't show the steady increase in HR that accompanies a crash for me. Couple more 40 mile weeks and you'll be pushing right through that mental block.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

De-slacking in progress

Im impressed -- especially since Im running HALF in two weeks and what you ran today is precicely what I want to run on the 15th...... Good job --- you should really be in good shape for you real HALF Wink
            I'm sure you'll do great- you're running a few more mile than me per month at this point so you should be able to achieve you goal. Can't wait for your VICTORIOUS race report.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

You got me looking Wink - Well done and congrats, with the result
              redleaf

woohoo! that's pretty impressive!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Purdey

Self anointed title

Well done. Nice work - keep it up.

Old, Slow, Happy

Nice job, Slappy!!! HM was my favorite distance until my knee problems. I'm looking forward to my next one. I'll be try'in to beat your time. Smile
                    theyapper

On the road again...

Great job! You've really put in the time and training and are now seeing the results. Very inspiring.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

De-slacking in progress

John A - Will be waiting for your race report tomorrow night. Run your plan. Big grin

HappyFeat

Hurray for you! for your 40 mile week and your HM dry run - excellent job!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

This is is the worst message I have seen on one of these boards. What in the Heck were thinking with that stupid title! What it should have said (Came in first place for the whole race!) Of course you came in First and Last but that does not matter. It is all perspective when one is racing against him or herself.
                              2011 Goals:
                              Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                              Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)