My First Half Marathon (Read 62 times)

Today was the day. I ran my first HALF MARATHON! This has been a goal for a long time. I didn't want to rush it and have been gradually increasing my mileage. I set September as the month to do it but didn't commit to the distance today until I was about 4 miles into the run. I wanted to make sure it was a day that I felt good with cooperative weather conditions. Once I made up my mind at the 4 mile point, I treated it like my "event" or race. Who knows when real racing will be back so I simulated in my mind as best I could and went for it.

Stats:
    Miles: 13.10
    Time: 1:39:06 for a 7:34/mile pace

Splits:
    First half (6.55 miles): 50:57 for a 7:47/mile pace
    Second half (6.55 miles): 48:09 for a 7:21/mile pace

Weather: 64 degrees/dew point 44 degrees
    Shoes: Hoka Clifton 6

I did no tapering for it and did a hard 10K tempo run two days ago but I think with only running three times per week, tapering is less important. The mental groove I was in felt really good. The world became the rail trail and my breathing. "Relaxed and Strong" - that mantra helped my form to be smooth. I ate and drank nothing during the run but with the temperature and dew point as they were, I think this was fine.

So, what's the next goal? Do I dare say a full marathon..?!!

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congrats - excellent first half!  I bet you'll be even faster when real races return.  As for goals...well, both another half and a full sounds like the right plan for you! Smile

That is fast for the first time

Congrats - excellent first half!  I bet you'll be even faster when real races return.  As for goals...well, both another half and a full sounds like the right plan for you! Smile

Thank you!  I do think a real race environment would help with adrenaline and the whole atmosphere.  I was able to focus pretty well mentally today but a solo run can't quite compare.

I want to err on the side of caution so am not sure about whether a full marathon is in the cards for next year but I think a goal of 20 miles would be a reasonable one to set.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

That is fast for the first time

Thanks.  My goal was 7:45 pace so I did beat that by quite a bit.  After such a hot summer, running in cooler temps definitely helped with my pace.

Personal Records:

an amazing likeness

Wow!  That's a heck of a debut, impressive. More so that it was done as a time trial.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Wow!  That's a heck of a debut, impressive. More so that it was done as a time trial.

Thank you!  I see that you ran 1:38:47 - nice!  I've been looking at that 1:30 half-marathon thread for a while now.  I know that 9 minutes is a lot to knock off but I might check it out.

Personal Records:

an amazing likeness

Sigh...Those days for me are long...long gone.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Sigh...Those days for me are long...long gone.

Sorry to hear that.  I see lots of walking on your calendar so have to assume you're having injury issues.  I hope things improve soon...

Personal Records: