Hiking/camping areas in Louisville or southern Illinois/Indiana? (Read 27 times)

Joann Y

Got a three day weekend next week and had planned on a family road trip to Louisville. We really like the town but I'm also thinking camping and getting on some trails would be really nice seeing that there are plenty of forests and parks around there and it should be warmer. Anyone have any good recommendations for camping and/or hiking around Louisville (or even southern Illinois or Indiana)?

Feeling the growl again

It's a bit north of there, but Brown County State Park between Columbus and Nashville, IN on IN-46 is beautiful (and hilly).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Joann Y

It's a bit north of there, but Brown County State Park between Columbus and Nashville, IN on IN-46 is beautiful (and hilly).

This looks really great! Thanks!

Kalsarikännit

Shawnee National Forest in far Southern Illinois is pretty cool. The have the "Little Grand Canyon", a really pretty (and big) natural bridge that you can hike over or under that was along some great trails, and the largest waterfall in Illinois. I enjoyed my time hiking and camping there.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Joann Y

Shawnee National Forest in far Southern Illinois is pretty cool. The have the "Little Grand Canyon", a really pretty (and big) natural bridge that you can hike over or under that was along some great trails, and the largest waterfall in Illinois. I enjoyed my time hiking and camping there.

Cool, thank you. Been wondering about that place and if it was worth the drive.

alizuk

Check out Red River Gorge! It's actually by Lexington, so not terribly far out of the way, but it's amazing. I've done a 3 day backpacking trip there in the winter, and it was gorgeous!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

If you head to that area also check out Giant City State Park and a section of the Shawnee National Forest known locally as the Garden of the Gods.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.