Slowness is killing me (Read 261 times)

Dojotoad

The race is over.  I came in at 28:21 - as slow as I feared but slightly better than expected.  The 3rd mile was significantly slower, so I'm agreeing with the folks that pointed out more miles should help.  Once I get a stronger base, I can worry about the speed.  Thanks again for suggestions.

SMART Approach

Good job. With more miles and more strength you will be able to hold pace better. However, there is a skill to racing and it starts with knowing your fitness. In most cases runners forget about pre-race adrenaline and start too fast. A seasoned and fit person can afjust and overcome a quick start.....a less fit runner will have a less than optimal experience or performance.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

The race is over.  I came in at 28:21 - as slow as I feared but slightly better than expected.  The 3rd mile was significantly slower, so I'm agreeing with the folks that pointed out more miles should help.  Once I get a stronger base, I can worry about the speed.  Thanks again for suggestions.

Good job.   I applaud you getting out there and testing your fitness again.   I think forcing some kind of regular speedwork is necessary for improvement. Otherwise, you'll just be stuck at the same level no matter how many miles a week that you run.  Running more miles a week is good for overall fitness and body composition and can slowly inch your aerobic capacity back up, but you have to challenge yourself a bit with speed to re-excel at 5Ks and 10Ks.  Find a training plan and stick to it and you will re-improve.  Haphazard running will lead to haphazard results.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

This is just my opinion but kind of what runinskirts was saying too.

If I was concerned about my pace I'd do a little speed work just for fun and to prove to myself that I could improve my speed. If you typically run 3-4 miles go out and run a half mile warm up, then rest, and do a half mile at 80-90% of your max. Rest, run another easy half and repeat the fast half mile, then just finish your regular distance. Look at your half mile best time and you'll see what kind of potential mile time you could have. You might be surprised.

Luciplay

I agree with JerryBZA, pacing is the key. Though, I hope COVID hasn't affected you area much. That is one of the factors that affects my running.

Dojotoad

Okay - next race is on the calendar for May 29th.  Still building up a mileage base and doing more running than walking now during training.  Last race came in at 9:07 per mile.  Think I can shoot for 8:45 in the next 5K.  Main goal would be more consistent pacing and under 9 minute miles throughout.

Still not doing anything for speedwork, but I'm still worried about injury.  Body just doesn't recover any more.  If I try back-to-back days I usually end up with with aches somewhere, but every other day seems fine.  I'll try adding some fartlek as an intro to speedwork.  I'm just afraid trackwork, intervals, etc. might be too much for me right now.

zebano

Good work!! Much better than your initial post indicated. If I were you I'd strongly consider just doing some strides after an easy run 2x per week. That should help a little and when you feel ready you can introduce tempo runs.

edit: a fartlek is a great idea too

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

redcurran

Someone on RA referred me to the below site/tool when I first started out to be able to calculate prescribed training paces based off current ability. This already factors in goals for slow, steady improvement so be honest with your current ability.

https://runsmartproject.com/calculator/backrooms game

Also, nothing has been mentioned about the shoes you are using. How old are your current running shoes and have you been fitted at a local running store? If you only have 1 pair, you will wear them out quickly at 20+ miles per week so I would have a pair for easy runs/walking and another pair used for long or fast runs. Get whatever is most comfortable and new is better than expensive so don't worry about spending $150 on the latest model.

Running apps on your phone will be better than nothing but if you are looking to take running seriously over the next few years, invest in a decent GPS watch. You don't need an $800 watch but something with true GPS made for running. I have the Garmin 45 for only $200 and it works just fine for me.

https://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-ELECTRONIC.html

Yep, thank you!