The new log is here! (Read 7547 times)

delshanx

I just wanted to say thanks Eric. I started running about 13 mos. ago and one of the things that keeps me going is being able to see the progress I have made. You have made it very easy for me to do so. Keep up the great work!!
    BillyGoat

This may have already been posted on here, but how do I get the 'Reports' back for the rest of my group?? It used to be listed on the left hand side along with Forum, etc??? Eric - Thanks for all your work!Smile
      Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out. Robert Collier
      iostesso

Just became a new member and I love it. Keep up the good work and have a great vacation.
        Ronnie H

How do I get the summary page to show the strength training and cycling summary? Great work
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I like the new numbers that give instant access to past pages of my workouts -- recently I had to push Previous over and over to get to some old workouts, to look some stuff up (to find some distances for someone else).
            Don't get used to it. I may remove this because tallying up all the entries is putting a strain on the database. If you have lots of workout entries, I'm sure you'll notice it takes a while for the workout list to display. In my test environment, not tallying it brings up the page almost instantly.
            Oh well. Maybe you could have buttons to jump back 10 pages, 20 pages, 30 pages, 40 pages, and 50 pages? I mean, without troubling to calculate whether that many pages exist, just always have the buttons -- then we could still jump back faster, but the server wouldn't have to do extra work to render the buttons? MTA: Just an idea for consideration at your leisure, of course. Thanks for all the work and the pretty new logs.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

eric :)

Oh well. Maybe you could have buttons to jump back 10 pages, 20 pages, 30 pages, 40 pages, and 50 pages? I mean, without troubling to calculate whether that many pages exist, just always have the buttons -- then we could still jump back faster, but the server wouldn't have to do extra work to render the buttons? MTA: Just an idea for consideration at your leisure, of course. Thanks for all the work and the pretty new logs.
              I'm considering several possibilities right now. The immediate near term is to temporarily disable the paging index and go back to just prev/next. Jumping 10/20/50 pages is not a good option since the server doesn't know how many pages remaining. Then why can't you go to the last page if jumping to page 10 yields no data? Because the server doesn't know how many entries are there without doing a count. I'm using MySQL as the database and I'm beginning to think that it cannot handle the user load. I am considering switching over to SQL Server since that's what I'm familiar with at work. Of course, I don't know how well SQL Server can performance under the same load. Anyone got any performance data?
                What happened to the summary page in our running group?
                jdmcgregor

All business

Thanks for your hard work Eric. Love the new log and all the customizable features!

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

jodan

Thanks, Eric! The new training log page looks great!!!
                      Is anyone else having trouble saving an entry that only has a distance and not a time? I often don't time my runs but I couldn't get them to appear on my graph unless I made something up.
                      Whitkirk Craig

I must admit I'm having a few problems with the new system. On my computer anyway, plotting the routes is a lot slower than it used to be. It also seems to be taking an inordinate amount of time going into and saving a course entry. Something appears to have happened to the elevation calculation also. I recently plotted an event that I was doing. The organisers had described the couse as being 21.5 miles with 4400ft of ascent. While the mileage calculated seemed accurate the ascent came to over 6800ft on Running Ahead. This seems a big discrepancy so I edited one of my old routes which had previously shown 715ft of ascent. I unitcked then reticked the elevation button. It now shows 1184ft. Something is going wrong.
                        mikeymike

I'm considering several possibilities right now. The immediate near term is to temporarily disable the paging index and go back to just prev/next.
                          I'd vote for that. Having the new paging index is a tiny benefit compared to how many times a week I go into the "Workouts" view and have to wait for it to tally all my workouts. I have a lot. All in all I'm loving the changes though.

Runners run

jwood944

Hi everyone, It's a little late so I may not make much sense. I'm sure you've noticed by now that I upgraded to the latest code. I've been saying that it's coming soon for a long time and I'm glad that it's finally out the door. Although you may not notice, but much of the log has been rewritten. It has a similar look and feel as the old log but it should be easier to use. For one thing, you can now customize your summary page. You'll see a customize link at the upper right corner of the page. The customize page may not be as slick as Google's, but the idea is the same in that you can arrange the gadgets anyway you like. I will be adding more gadgets in the future. As you may know, I use a commercial graphing package to create the charts. The new log uses the latest version of this package but I do not have a license for it, yet. Since we're so close to the New Year, I figure I'll wait until next year to purchase it for tax reasons. Once I obtain the license, the graph will not have the company's name on it anymore. As I said in a previous post, there are too many features to name in the new log so you'll have to discover them yourselves. This was an enormous project that took me well over a year to complete. Despite the valiant efforts from the beta users (we all should thank them for putting their data on the line for testing), there will be bugs. I am on vacation this week, which is why I waited until now to upgrade the software, so I can fix them as you find them. Just report them in the tech support forum. Happy New Year, everyone! eric :-)
                            Eric thank for you hard work Happy New year and keep running Jon
                            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Another idea -- push off the previous page calculations to a historical page, so only when people want to get to past data will that page get rendered. I mean, instead of rendering it on the main workout page, that lots of us visit frequently, instead the user has to go to the workout page and push a button labelled (perhaps) Historical Data, and then when they go there, the server calculates the paging buttons. BTW, another feature that I really like, which I think is new, is that now I can add new course names by just typing them into the course box, just like adding new interval sets. I think in the old system I could only create courses via the New Course page, which I didn't like to use because it tried to pull in some online mapping application which tended to be so slow as to hang the page -- so I quit adding courses and just used Random Route a lot instead. Now I can just type in names for new courses or areas -- it's very convenient Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Duncan

eric, thanks for running ahead and the love and work you pour into it i deeply appreciate it. take care and have a wonderful 2009.