YOU SOLD MY BIB? (Read 481 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

When there is a new policy such as the one described here, isn't it fair to wait to see how it works before criticizing it?

To me, this sounds like a terrible idea - saying "no one is allowed to criticize a new policy" until after the fact -- whether discussing sports events, or government planning, or any other field.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

an amazing likeness

I have no idea what you're referencing here...but I'd have a hard time comparing the challenges and needs for organization and structure of a Olympic trial to a local race in CT.

Apparently this is the kind of thinking that USATF had about ties at the Trials, before last summer.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CT JEFF

just an update from OP:

I feel this race has been organised and communicated extremely well. As another poster stated, this is really now a non-issue. The original RD post only stated that for the 9am race, unregistered runners were allowed to show up and hope they get a bib from those that were already assigned and that those bibs would be sold at 8:50am.

I started this post not to bash the RD, or this decision, but to ask (since I am a newer runner) if anyone has heard of anything like this happening.

I truly appreciate all the feedback.

To me, this sounds like a terrible idea - saying "no one is allowed to criticize a new policy" until after the fact -- whether discussing sports events, or government planning, or any other field.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Feeling the growl again

When you register for a race, you are buying into the way that race is organized. As a race announcer I know has often said: You are not obligated to sign up for any race. If you don't like how it is organized, don't go.

When there is a new policy such as the one described here, isn't it fair to wait to see how it works before criticizing it?

I would disagree, because much of the way a race is organized is not visible to the entrant until race day.  I've entered plenty of races where nothing seemed amiss from the web page and signup, but were a complete mess on race day.  Yet you would claim I'd agreed to buy into the snafu?  I would not agree.

For things that are clearly communicated up front  (walkers starting ahead, etc) I would agree that some of that you must weigh in when selecting the race.  There are raced I did once and never again because I did not like how they were run.

But in this case that's not what we had (before it became a non-issue that never happened).  We had something (supposedly) changing between when people registered and race day.  Nobody signed up for that, but I have seen it before.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

This.

From the POV of doing timing and results, I'm having trouble comprehending why they would want to reuse bib numbers instead of using new bib numbers?

+1.  I've been at plenty of local races where they had many more entrants than originally anticipated.  I've seen them use unused bibs from another race and just record the number or write the number on a blank bib.  It's not really that difficult to get some blank bibs quickly unless your race is in Antarctica and a quick search revealed at least one site that promised 48 hour turn around...

I help organize a half, and we also send our walkers off a half hour early. The slower walkers are spread out well enough by the time the runners catch up to them that they do not present a problem. Our faster walkers are 11+ miles into the race by the time the first runners catch them, so most runners won't ever see them until the award ceremony.

I'd point out the result: the fastest-moving runners are the ones who see (and must avoid colliding with) the slowest-moving walkers.

Can you start the walkers 45 minutes early instead of 30 minutes?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

beat

Break on through

+1.  I've been at plenty of local races where they had many more entrants than originally anticipated.  I've seen them use unused bibs from another race and just record the number or write the number on a blank bib.  It's not really that difficult to get some blank bibs quickly unless your race is in Antarctica and a quick search revealed at least one site that promised 48 hour turn around...

It looks like they are using bibs with timing chips embedded in them, so they can't use just anything.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

an amazing likeness

I'd point out the result: the fastest-moving runners are the ones who see (and must avoid colliding with) the slowest-moving walkers.

Can you start the walkers 45 minutes early instead of 30 minutes?

Don't know how often Coastwalker swings by these parts, so I'll share that his race is very well organized, and there's no issue with the walker start...many are racewalkers knocking off paces that many of the runners don't match. When the lead runners do catch the walkers, they're well down the course and have a full road lane to use.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The Stump Jump 50k is next weekend. This is a GREAT trail race put on by a GREAT race organization in Chattanooga. Stump Jump usually sells out pretty fast, over a few weeks to a couple months, and well ahead of race day.

Today's email from the race included this:

We're selling up to 20 unclaimed bibs on race day.
                    It might sound crazy, but despite the demand for this race we always have a handful of runners who never show up to toe the line on race day. This year, instead of just writing "DNS" on a clipboard, we're going to re-sell 20 of those bibs. How will it work? At 6:00 AM, we'll start a first-come, first-served waiting list. At 7:30 AM, we'll close packet pickup and up to 20 people from that list will get into the race, based on how many didn't show up. Cash or check only. Come prepared to run, but ready to be disappointed.

"Come prepared to run, but ready to be disappointed."

Sounds like every one of my races ...

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau