iPhone App for treadmill use? (Read 118 times)

npaden

Anyone using a good app for the treadmill?  Seems like it would be very easy to make one, but they all seem to be lacking.

Runkeeper is pretty much useless on treadmill workouts, I've been using WahooFitness and at least I can wear my HRM and count laps with it, but even though it seems like you can set the distance for each lap, it doesn't show up in the data when you try to export it, just the duration and 0.00 miles.

I wish there was an app that I could just push the lap button on the phone at a preset interval distance and it would track mileage based on your selected lap distance.  i.e. set a lap for 1/4 mile and push the lap button each .25 miles and it actually counts that lap as being .25 miles.

I'm going to be running 12 X 400m intervals tonight and the weather is crappy so I was going to run them on the treadmill.  I can run them on the treadmill just fine, but would like to have the data on them with HR and all that fun stuff that I would get if I did the same workout outside with the GPS enabled.

Not sure if there is anything like this out there but I thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance.  Nathan

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

npaden

Just double checked WahooFitness, and the big problem is that if it doesn't actually track GPS points, the GPX track that it tries to export is worthless.  No information whatsoever.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

http://www.wahoofitness.com/Products/Wahoo-Fitness-Wahoo-Treadmill-Pack.asp

Upload to Training Websites

Workout data is easily and wirelessly uploaded to popular training websites such as TrainingPeaks, MapMyRUN, Nike+, Garmin Connect, and Strava so you can track your fitness over time and share with friends. You can also e-mail workout data to yourself or your coach.

You can export a .tcx file from Garmin Connect and upload that to RA.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

CT JEFF

With older iPhones, 4 and earlier, Nike had a good app that worked with a shoe sensor- the sensor cost about $20.

When I changed to Android, I wasnt able to use the Nike App with the sensor, but I could still use the motion if I held the phone in my hand the whole run. I prefer not to have anything in my hands when I run, but thats not always possible.

The upside, is that once you completed your run, NIKE+ has a good website (not as good as it was a year ago). I have recently purchased MapMyRun full version. Some issues Im still working out.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

npaden

http://www.wahoofitness.com/Products/Wahoo-Fitness-Wahoo-Treadmill-Pack.asp

Workout data is easily and wirelessly uploaded to popular training websites such as TrainingPeaks, MapMyRUN, Nike+, Garmin Connect, and Strava so you can track your fitness over time and share with friends. You can also e-mail workout data to yourself or your coach.

You can export a .tcx file from Garmin Connect and upload that to RA.

I'm using Wahoo currently and I can upload the HR data to runkeeper and then I can put in my total miles in runkeeper, but not the intervals.  It just assumes that the total miles were run evenly through the duration of the workout.  Runkeeper will only export GPX files so there isn't any GPS data so it doesn't import into RunningAhead.  The email from Wahoo is in GPX format as well and doesn't have any data to bring into RunningAhead.

npaden

Did the workout tonight and clicked the laps on wahoo fitness and exported to runkeeper and the HR info doesn't even show now.  The avg HR is all that came over.

Went back and double checked and saw that I could export from wahoo fitness via email of a TCX file.  Took a little bit to go in and mess with the intervals, but I have a detailed record of my workout now.  The graphs on runningahead don't work with distance for the X axis, but they do work with duration for the X axis and HR on the Y axis.

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/17b912e64ad246e9bbe4a270366a97f6/workouts/177852f03f59426aa5267a4d72f386fa

Was a pretty good workout.

Chasing the bus

Yeah, I use Runmeter, and export as TCX. It will show total time, HR data, and also laps, but no distance for treadmill. Must be input manually to RA after export. They need to start bluetooth pairing for treadmills and phones, so the apps could get distance.

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/08b78dba209146deae05029c867b321b/workouts/dc286cb372d04967a01b3a77c386d26c

So it imported interval duration, and HR data, but no distance. I manually entered into RA the distance for each lap and added notes.

Here's a graph of HR vs. duration, but it will not graph vs. distance or pace, since those are added manually, I guess, instead of as data points during the run?

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/08b78dba209146deae05029c867b321b/workouts/dc286cb372d04967a01b3a77c386d26c/graphs?x=21&y=82&y1c=0000ff&y2c=00ff00&avg=1&w=640&h=480&rng=10

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Are you using the foot pod with it?

I have a foot pod for my Garmin and as long as I turn off the GPS, I get distances recorded from the foot pod.

I'm using Wahoo currently and I can upload the HR data to runkeeper and then I can put in my total miles in runkeeper, but not the intervals.  It just assumes that the total miles were run evenly through the duration of the workout.  Runkeeper will only export GPX files so there isn't any GPS data so it doesn't import into RunningAhead.  The email from Wahoo is in GPX format as well and doesn't have any data to bring into RunningAhead.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

npaden

No, I'm not using a foot pod.  I guess I'm running enough miles on the treadmill that maybe I should look into it.

Just checked and so far in 2013 I've logged 234 miles on my treadmill here at the house.

can't you just use a watch?

---------

npaden

can't you just use a watch?

Why would I need to wear a watch, the treadmill keeps track of all that.

I just want to log it so I know what I did later if I want to go back and look at my workouts.

I think you could get a Garmin foot pod and pair it up with the Wahoo key you are using with your HR monitor as it just needs a foot pod that sends out an Ant+ signal.

Why would I need to wear a watch, the treadmill keeps track of all that.

I just want to log it so I know what I did later if I want to go back and look at my workouts.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

npaden

I think you could get a Garmin foot pod and pair it up with the Wahoo key you are using with your HR monitor as it just needs a foot pod that sends out an Ant+ signal.

I'm actually using a Bluetooth Smart HR monitor right now since I upgraded to an iPhone 5 and would have to use an adapter to use the ANT+ dongle thingy since they switched to the lightning connector instead of the old 30 pin connection.  Looks like Polar just came out with a Bluetooth Smart Foot Pod, but I'm not sure if it will work with Wahoo or not yet.  As soon as I find out I will probably get one and update this thread if I get one.

zonykel

Yeah, technology can suck sometimes. The Ant+ dongle works with the iphone 4. It'll work with the iphone 5, but you'll need an adapter, since, as you mentioned, apple changed to the lightning connector.

Another option would be to get something like 4iiiii's Viiiiva heart rate monitor (probably roughly the same cost as the Ant+ dongle + lightning adapter). It'll send all of your Ant+ data to your iphone 5 (without the need of an Ant+ dongle). Of course, you'll still need a foot pod to gather speed and distance information when running on the treadmill.

Here's DC Rainmaker's preview of the Viiiiva: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/09/4iiiis-debuts-viiiiva-bluetooth-smart.html

I'm actually using a Bluetooth Smart HR monitor right now since I upgraded to an iPhone 5 and would have to use an adapter to use the ANT+ dongle thingy since they switched to the lightning connector instead of the old 30 pin connection.  Looks like Polar just came out with a Bluetooth Smart Foot Pod, but I'm not sure if it will work with Wahoo or not yet.  As soon as I find out I will probably get one and update this thread if I get one.