Garmin 205 Waterproof (Read 228 times)

Question for anybody that uses or has used a Garmin 205/305:  Have you run in the rain and did you have any issues with it?  I know it is suppose to be waterproof, but curious how it will hold up in a downpour for 26 miles.  Running the California International Marathon on Sunday and the forecast calls for downpours and heavy wind during the time I will be running.  Hoping I can rely on my Garmin not giving me any issues.

an amazing likeness

I've used mine (FR205) year-round in rain, sleet, snow, hot, cold, whatever since May 2006 with no issues..

(.I've even actually done a bit of ocean swimming with one, knowing full well it's not certified for that use.)

Others here have reported moisture problems inside the case at times -- seems to be related to the seams on the side loosening or the speaker holes on the back.

If you're real nervous, you may want to tape over the speaker holes.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Chair Warmer

I would say they are water resistant.  I have had my 305 since early 2008 and it is still going strong.  I run frequently in the rain and ran the Minneapolis Marathon with it in mostly rain in 2008... never had a problem.  I would suggest limiting the number of times you push the buttons while out in the rain... I think this will help keep water from getting inside.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The Forerunner 205/305 are supposed to meet IX7 waterproof standard, which is 1m/30 minutes.  What that translates to above water is anyone's guess, but I think you should be fine.

The biggest problem I had with my 305 is that over time, the sound degraded to nothing due to sweat getting in through the sound holes and corroding the speaker (on the wrist side).  A little scotch tape over the sound holes seems to do the trick.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Thanks for the replies.  I did run a 16 miler a few weeks ago in the rain but I was wearing a long sleeved undershirt and it was covered.  Like Jeff said, I did notice the sound being a bit muffled with each mile notification.   Living in Sacramento, I don't have to experience the wet weather running too often, but this storm Sunday is suppose to be one of the biggest we've had in awhile.  Should make for an interesting race.  I'm actually looking forward to it though.

The Forerunner 205/305 are supposed to meet IX7 waterproof standard, which is 1m/30 minutes.  What that translates to above water is anyone's guess, but I think you should be fine.

The biggest problem I had with my 305 is that over time, the sound degraded to nothing due to sweat getting in through the sound holes and corroding the speaker (on the wrist side).  A little scotch tape over the sound holes seems to do the trick.

Until this past year my only problem was with the sound eventually degrading to nothing,  However, this past year my battery life seemed to get worse with each run until finally it wouldn't last an hour and a half.  I finally ordered an i-Pod replacement battery thru Amazon.com and replaced the battery myself and now I am to almost 10 hours of battery life!

Oh yeah, and I have run in some extremely bad weather from downpours to sleet, hail and driving snow storms and have never had an issue wth my 305.