Why am I so nervous?! (Read 839 times)

Ok, so I didn't make a full 16...at least not in one try, LOL! ... Then I went back out and ran about 14.75 miles ...
    Kirsten - this is too funny! I was laughing when I read this....i did an almost identical type of thing last summer. I was on a business trip in San Diego, which happened to coincide with my 20 mile training run i needed to do, so i wasn't familiar with the area...well, I had mapped an out and back course, and was wearing my Garmin, when at some point I forgot to start the Garmin back up after a water refill (Tongue); by the time I realized this, i had to try to figure out where to turn around. I get pretty ditzy when running, and i thought my turn around point was 10 miles and I would be okay. But as i neared the hotel, i realized i was over 2 miles short. I ran about 1/4 mile past the hotel, but my mind had decided 9 miles ago that the "end" was at the hotel; I bee-lined back to the hotel, going only about 18 miles (with the "missed miles" added in). Well, this is the funny part - I was soaking my legs in the cold water in the tub, and my brain (or something resembling thinking) kicked in saying "landy -you came here to do 20, NOT 18!!!!!!". Roll eyes Luckily i had a second set of running clothes that weren't salt encrusted, which i got into, and out I ran from the hotel - in a different direction this time, for the final 2 miles....And as I was returning to the hotel with about 1/4 mile to go, a lady on a bike ride says to me "your still running? I saw you this morning at Mission Beach!" and I could truthfully say...."Yea, I'm almost done", with a smile Smile, and a laugh.
    I had to stop to get more to drink (only put about 24oz in my Camelbak--next time I will fill it closer to full). Of course, after stopping to drink my last mile was stiff and painful. .. I've never been so crampy after a run, either. My calves and feet are pretty angry with me at the moment. I'm really not sure at the moment how I could ever contemplate a full marathon. I think this 25k might be the death of me. Anything over 2.5 hours seems to be my limit....
    Make sure you are drinking enough...recomendation will vary, but typically about 8 oz per mile? It's a lot of water to carry/stash, or pick up along the way. I actually did a "dry" run a few weeks back on a mild tempurature day, to see my own personal water loss, and was surprised that in 3.8 miles, or about 45 minutes, i lost 2 lbs - or roughly 32 oz. worth of water. Also, with the distances you are going and the amount of time you are out there, make sure you get enough salt and carbs. Long runs and long times out there become a very delicate balancing act, one we all need to watch carefully. A "bad" run is the best you can hope for if you get an imbalance of water-salt-carbs.
    I'm really not sure at the moment how I could ever contemplate a full marathon. I think this 25k might be the death of me. Anything over 2.5 hours seems to be my limit....k
    Don't get discouraged. Look at how far you've come in such a short time, really! Each run can be totally different - I've had awful 13 milers and a great 18 miler, all within a month of each other. So many factors....I could go on and on....but I'll let this post end with a loud "STICK WITH IT". There is nothing quite like completing that long-term goal, and you'll be ecstatic when you've done it! And remember ...HAVE FUN! Smile
    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Imminent Catastrophe

All my long runs lately are races. That way I have lots of company, people handing me water, nuns cheeering, and I get a medal at the end!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Scout7

All my long runs lately are races. That way I have lots of company, people handing me water, nuns cheeering, and I get a medal at the end!
        Nuns? What kind of races are you running?