Where o where have the Power Bars gone? (Read 151 times)

Arnoldziffel

For many years, Power Bars were my go to source of pre-race or pre-hard workout fuel.  They've now disappeared from most store shelves, and the only Power Bars I find are the Protein-Plus variety of Power Bars.  Anyone have any idea what has happened?  And what are runners eating to fuel up before workouts now?  Power bars have clearly lost the battle for shelf space in most stores.

April 21- Fast Half Marathon

May 5 - Colleen Ritzer 5K

June 22 - Mad Fox Trail Fest 10K

CalBears

For many years, Power Bars were my go to source of pre-race or pre-hard workout fuel.  They've now disappeared from most store shelves, and the only Power Bars I find are the Protein-Plus variety of Power Bars.  Anyone have any idea what has happened?  And what are runners eating to fuel up before workouts now?  Power bars have clearly lost the battle for shelf space in most stores.

If you are talking about these ones, they are back at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/PowerBar-Protein-Chocolate-Peanut-Butter/dp/B009VV7G60/ref=sr_1_4?crid=HXS84F3YQS94&keywords=powerbar+protein+plus&qid=1580091778&sprefix=powebar%2Caps%2C213&sr=8-4

They disappeared even from Amazon for couple of years, but now the stuff is back. My favorite gels are from PowerBar and they are back at Amazon too.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

kcam

Probably means these ... they were pretty bad but I used em way back when.  I just eat food to 'fuel up' these days.

I haven’t thought about Power Bars in years.  They were like bricks.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

CalBears

I never used bars for my fueling but my favorite gels by far are PowerBars - they discontinued Double Latte with 2x caffeine but their new Green Apple gel is just awesome and plain yummy - it's so smooth to digest and they are not disgusting like most of the others I tried - including GUs, Cliffs and Honey Stingers.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

kcam

Yeah, even in the best conditions those things were hard and barely chewable.  The first marathon I ever ran was in very cold conditions and I tried to eat one of those nasty things and it really was like trying to break off a chunk of a brick!  Sorry OP but good riddance, IMHO!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I loved the berry version of these...not the other ones, though (the citrus ones tasted like straight-up orange zest). And back when I was buying these for long bike rides, the berry ones were more pink in color. It's been a few years since I bought any. We had to hide them from our son...he loved to casually snack on these $$$ things when he was going through his 6"-in-a-single-year growth-spurt.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Arnoldziffel

Power bars sure were not known for being tasty.  Years ago, I became accustomed to forcing one down before a race or hard workout.  Over time, I grew to really like the peanut butter flavor.  And I felt as if it gave me a little energy boost - and I'm aware this might just be the placebo effect.   Until recently, my peanut butter power bars were still available at a local convenience store.  Is there any particular energy bar that you rely on now for the same purpose?

April 21- Fast Half Marathon

May 5 - Colleen Ritzer 5K

June 22 - Mad Fox Trail Fest 10K

Organic Whole Fat Milk...

power bars were the worst! weren't they!?

agreed with others who have said get your protein naturally...

300m- 37 sec.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Haha, another Power Bar fan like myself! I gave up eating them pre-race/long-run only very reluctantly, due to lack of supply. I've switched to Clif Bars (regular, not high-protein) fairly successfully. I like Blueberry Crisp or Oatmeal Raisin for pre-race (easy flavors to keep down) and some of the chocolate flavors (e.g., Chocolate Mint, Chocolate Chip) for pre-LR. Good luck!

Power bars sure were not known for being tasty.  Years ago, I became accustomed to forcing one down before a race or hard workout.  Over time, I grew to really like the peanut butter flavor.  And I felt as if it gave me a little energy boost - and I'm aware this might just be the placebo effect.   Until recently, my peanut butter power bars were still available at a local convenience store.  Is there any particular energy bar that you rely on now for the same purpose?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I remember getting a Power Bar in a goodie bag after a marathon years ago. I took one bite and chucked the rest of it in the garbage. Disgusting. Give me a Snickers bar any day.

I’m a Maurten fan...drink mix 320 pre race and gels during the race. Very easy on the stomach. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)