pulled hammy? Trent please help (Read 1083 times)

hopey46

While I was running the other day my hammy got tight. It is sore like a sore muscle and tight. I don't think I pulled it, but I don't know. I have never experienced this. What should I do? Should I run or not? I only run 3 miles a day at like 9 min/mile pace. I will take any advice Smile
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

True hammie injuries unfortunately last a while and can be difficult to cure. The best thing for it is to keep active. In general, it is useful to keep running, albeit at a lower effort. Ice and stretching after runs may also help. A bad hammie strain can take weeks to months to recover. Where do you hurt?
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

If you think it's really injured (i.e. strained or pulled), don't try to stretch it. And even if it's not injured (but just sore), don't stretch your hammy unless you're really well warmed up. Cold stretching + hamstrings = prolonged injury.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

If you think it's really injured (i.e. strained or pulled), don't try to stretch it. And even if it's not injured (but just sore), don't stretch your hammy unless you're really well warmed up. Cold stretching + hamstrings = prolonged injury.
          I'd have to agree. Mine only got worse with cold stretching. Slowing down will also help.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Agreed. My original post was not clear. DO stretch, but only AFTER your exercise.

A Saucy Wench

I just wanted to add that while a TRUE hammy injury can take a long time, my hammies often twinge and are fine in practically no time at all. I actually dont worry about hammies much compared to other things getting sore because 9/10 it is nothing serious. But I like the title to this thread. Like Trent has magical healing powers that can be dispensed over the Trenternet. Wink

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

hopey46

True hammie injuries unfortunately last a while and can be difficult to cure. The best thing for it is to keep active. In general, it is useful to keep running, albeit at a lower effort. Ice and stretching after runs may also help. A bad hammie strain can take weeks to months to recover. Where do you hurt?
                Hmmm How do I explain where I hurt? In my hamstring.....ummmm pretty much in the middle of it and a bit off to the inside of my leg. Like I said it is like a sore muscle feeling, but it is super tight. I have tried heating it and then stretching, but it still is tight and sore. I don't really know if it is pulled or if it is just sore and tight or what. I just dont want to injure it more because I know that it takes forever to heal.

Just Be

Talk to your doctor about your symptoms and get them to clear you for exercise. From what you describe I'd say you'll be fine running on it, just don't run very fast, especially up hills (stick with your normal pace or drop it a bit).

Old, Slow, Happy

I'd say stretch it when it's warm. I'd say slow down your running. I'd say get your log going. I'd say make your profile and log public. I'd say I'm your father!! Hi Hope!!! Thanks for helping her Trent and the rest of you people. RA is really a great place!!

hopey46

I'd say stretch it when it's warm. I'd say slow down your running. I'd say get your log going. I'd say make your profile and log public. I'd say I'm your father!! Hi Hope!!! Thanks for helping her Trent and the rest of you people. RA is really a great place!!
                      Thanks Dad Smile

Old, Slow, Happy

Nice Profile!! Smile Now get your log going. You should be in bed at 3:00 am!! Shocked