Maximum cushioning trainer - Hoka Bondi 7 or Saucony Triumph... (Read 64 times)

mikes425

Hi, I'm a longtime runner but had to stop for about 7 months after a freak accident caused me to hit my head with some internal bleeding. Fortunately this appears to be nearly resolved, and my Doc thinks I can resume running, as long as I avoid any 'hard pounding - and minimize impact/shock, to avoid aggravating the condition again. I'm with him on that. I have a neutral pronation, flat-foot strike. I would be on a treadmill for now. I'm not a speed runner, just 15-20 mi/wk for general weight maintenance and cardio strength. I have a wide foot, also...(2E) Previous shoes have been NB 882/883, 840 and Brooks Ghost 10 among others.

My local running store guy thought the Saucony Triumph 17 or 18 or Hoka Bondi 7. Can anyone tell me any experience you've had with these or have you ever specifically compared these two?

Reviews suggest the Bondi is pretty heavy but maybe the most 'forgiving' for what I need(?) That said, I like what I've read about the Saucony Triumph...seems to get a lot of love...as it seems a little more nimble, for lack of a better description... Is there a significant enough difference between one or the other? Would the Triumph be fairly equivalent to the Bondi as far as maximal cushioning?

Any advice on this really appreciated, and Happy Holidays!

Thanks!

Mike

Try this.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snl2xQqrDDw

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Check out Skechers MaxRoad4, 4+ reviews, too. 4+ has the more adjustable upper.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

an amazing likeness

Most days I run in the Bondi. It's not heavy that I notice. I migrated to it based on medical advice following traumatic knee injury. I do not have 2E feet, so can't offer any insight there. Previously my routine shoe was Asics Nimbus & NB 1080. Adjusting to the Bondi's "rocker" was easy, but I'm not comfortable switching back and forth from that gait to more standard shoes.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

If you’re looking at Hoka Bondi then it’s worth considering the Skechers Max cushioning range as they are half the price and more comfortable imo.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

If you’re looking at Hoka Bondi then it’s worth considering the Skechers Max cushioning range as they are half the price and more comfortable imo.

It's tough because generally there is no where to try them on, you have to order them. The OP has 2EE wide feet, so the "one size fits most" might not fit right. The Bondi, even in "wide", might not be wide enough either, but at least they can be tried on at a local store first.

Say, New Balance has widths, I wonder about the 1080 or Fresh Foam More?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

I agree with this statement.   

I wear Skechers MAX Cushion shoe exclusively for running now.  I have a nasty case of HAGLUNDS so I like as much padding as possible and the Skechers are great and IMHO as good as the Hoka and as stated half the price.   You can usually get them for $80 to $85.    I even found a deal and got 3 pair for $44 each so deals can be found if you look...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Christirei

my feet aren't as wide as the OP but i have found the Topos Phantoms to be fabulous. super cushy and wide in the toe box. i can only find them online, but its another option. i tried Hoka Cliftons and they gave me blisters on my toes so i gave up on Hoka

BoutWorkout

Sketchers are really comfortable.