Avoiding the common cold during marathon training (Read 973 times)

bigkenny

I'm ramping up for my 8th and 9th marathons this fall - Sep-27 and Nov-2. Training is going nicely, but I have this nagging fear that I'm going to catch a cold. It has happened a couple of times before, most recently last April when I got sick two weeks out. I assume my body and my resistance are breaking down during the hard training making me susceptible. Does anyone have a similar problem, and has anyone found a good way to avoid the cold virus during the weeks of physical abuse leading up to a marathon?
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There is only one way: lock yourself in the house. I am serious. You can eat right, get plenty of fruits and veggies and wash your hands often. But if the viruses are out there, you risk getting them. This is true whether you are stressing your body or not. Sorry. Undecided And this: do get your flu shot.

bigkenny

Thanks. However, my wife is a teacher and I have two chilluns coming home from school every day. I might be safer locking myself OUT of the house rather than in. Maybe a surgical mask...

Drink a lot of water, eat a healthy diet. As Trent said, you can't avoid the germs and if they prove stronger than your immune system, you are going to get sick. Training can damage your immune system. Therefore, you want to be drinking plenty of water and eating plenty of fruits and vegetables so that you can help your immune system repair itself and recover from your workouts so that it can fight off the nasty things that invade your body. If you do get sick and have a good diet, you'll get healthy again quicker than if you ate fast food for dinner every night.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

This is happening to me right now. I had an 18 mile run on Sunday and was sick with flu-ish symptoms Monday and Tuesday, and my body didn't feel too hot after my long run last week either. I think I might start taking a vitamin on long run days to give my immune system a little boost.
              Thanks. However, my wife is a teacher and I have two chilluns coming home from school every day. I might be safer locking myself OUT of the house rather than in. Maybe a surgical mask...
              That probably has something to do with it. Have you tried any homeopathic remedies to boost your family's immunity? I know some people swear by stuff like echinacea. We homeschool so our exposure to the general population comes from weekday activities that are outdoors and seems to help reduce sickness. I am not prone to flu or colds...the worst I get are headaches and that sucks. but running actually makes them feel better.

Jennifer mm#1231

A Saucy Wench

Last year during marathon training I had to quit alcohol. Every time I drank I tipped over the edge and got sick. This year I am doing better, but school starts next week so I may stop drinking for a month or so.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Does anyone have a similar problem, and has anyone found a good way to avoid the cold virus during the weeks of physical abuse leading up to a marathon? Good luck, I get a cold every year leading up to my marathon.
                  kcam

Wash your hands - alot. Short of wearing a mask, this seems to be the most effective way of reducing chances of getting a cold. If someone in your house has a cold maybe sanitary wipes on door knobs, stair railings, kitchen cabinet knobs, etc once in a while would help.
                      99.9 percent sanitary wipes and soap have done it, I haven't been sick in over 3 years, I carry it with me in my car, at work, especially at restaurants, and maybe a touch of vitamin C for immune system and Tylenol to fight pain. As the last comment, wash hands and then follow up with a wipe or soap.
                      TJoseph

Didn't Howard Hughes burn his clothes after wearing them?