NordicTrack treadmill issue (Read 125 times)

ebizash

I have a NT C900 treadmill (about 11 months old).  It has been working fine but I have had an issue couple of times now.  First time the issue somehow resolved itself but this time no such luck.

The issue is - I had to unplug the treadmill because of some electrical panel work where it was plugged in.  After a day, I plugged it back in and since then it has not worked.  The console comes up, the fan also works but nothing happens when I push any other button such as speed, incline, or volume buttons.  I have powered off and on couple of times but nothing has worked so far.  Then I recalled that I had same issue few months ago when I moved to new home.  But at that time, somehow the treadmill started working after couple of days of plugging it back in.  I don't recall whether I had done anything special to make it work.

Can someone think of a way to get it working again or what I can do to isolate / troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks in advance!

if it's only 11 months old, it should be under warranty. Call a TM repair person.

ebizash

BoilerTom90 - thanks for your reply.  I have that in mind but I wanted to see whether I am missing something that I need to do after I unplug and plug back the treadmill.

Feeling the growl again

You will most likely find that in some of the jostling or through some sort of voltage surge when you plugged it back in, the console went bad and will need to be replaced.  Symptoms were similar.  Long story short but my opinion is that they do not protect the electronics well and it doesn't take much variance in the current....even if you use a surge protector as they recommend...to blow the console.

I had to have six or seven consoles replaced on my NordicTrack in 18 months -- I lost count.  On the upside, their customer service was good to work with and yours SHOULD be under warranty.  You need to call ICON (NordicTrack's parent company), not a random TM repair person.   They will probably try to just send you the part and have you install it.  If the service call is covered under warranty you will probably need to ask them for that service, and they will be the ones to choose who comes out.  They will give your info to their contracted local person, who would then call you to set up the service appointment once you have the part in your house (ICON will ship it to you).

Depending on how handy you are, doing it yourself could save you a lot of down time and headache waiting around for a repairman to show up.

Before you do anything, you need to verify that the place you are plugging the treadmill in is properly grounded and not faulty.  If not a fix may not do you any good.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

ebizash

spaniel - The console seems to be working as the LCD screen lights up and shows that the incline is at 0.5.  Fan is working too.  But when I hit speed (+ or -) or incline (+ or -) buttons, nothing happens.  Is there some sort of "reset" that I need to do?  Do you think switching the outlet might help?

BoilerTom90 - thanks for your reply.  I have that in mind but I wanted to see whether I am missing something that I need to do after I unplug and plug back the treadmill.

As spaniel said, make sure the outlet is grounded properly. I doubt it will fix anything now. I did find this tidbit that might be of interest: http://www.livestrong.com/article/406896-why-wont-my-treadmill-start/

The fact that your display lights up, but nothing happens when you try to increase the speed is an indication of a more serious problem. Like a fried console board...

Feeling the growl again

spaniel - The console seems to be working as the LCD screen lights up and shows that the incline is at 0.5.  Fan is working too.  But when I hit speed (+ or -) or incline (+ or -) buttons, nothing happens.  Is there some sort of "reset" that I need to do?  Do you think switching the outlet might help?

Bolded -- therefore, your console is not working.  Smile

No, there is no reset.  The only reset you can try is to unplug the machine for 30min and see if that fixes it by wiping the memory.  The TM repairman told me this is a known software issue that causes the console to need replacing; ICON denies this.  Mine would progress the same way each time...Stop button would stop working, then speed buttons, incline, and eventually it would not start.

I mention the outlets because after going through a number of consoles I tested and found my outlet was not grounding correctly.  I am not an electrician and one can correct me but if not properly grounded I cam imagine any stray voltage being more of an issue...and a ground fault won't work.  I found out when I plugged in a new ground fault that had a light if you were properly grounded and it didn't light up.  I ran a cord to another outlet and that console went longer.  IIRC I still went through another one or two though.  I won't know if that was really it because then the rear roller and main board went bad at almost the same time, and they declared it a lemon and refunded my money. (6-7 consoles, 1 deck, roller, and main board all in 18 months or so).  I would eliminate a grounding issue just to guarantee it is not YOU damaging the electronics before you start serially replacing parts.

MTA:  The customer service number you need is 1-877-993-7999.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Sounds like the console to me too.....   I had a similar issue with m Nordtrac last year and called their help line.  They were very helpful and ended up sending me a new panel and after replaced it's been fine since...

It's not hard to do -.

Champions are made when no one is watching

Feeling the growl again

It's not hard to do -.

No, if you can map a handful of connections and turn a few screws it is not very hard.  I made them come swap a couple of them just because the connections on my machine were short and it was a PIA to get them matched up and after doing a few myself I kind of wanted to stick it to them.  Wink

Wing

Joggaholic

I mention the outlets because after going through a number of consoles I tested and found my outlet was not grounding correctly.  I am not an electrician and one can correct me but if not properly grounded I cam imagine any stray voltage being more of an issue...

Just want to chime in. I had a fancy electric dryer that wouldn't run, even though the lights and LEDs would come on. It turned out I had a floating ground due to the main ground wire coming loose inside the main electrical panel. So check your ground to at least rule that out.

ebizash

Thanks everyone for your responses and assistance.  As suggested, I called the customer service and after couple of troubleshooting steps, they ordered a new console.  I should receive it in next 5-7 business days and then will update this thread with how it goes.

By the way, given that many people are having problems and the parts seem to be pretty expensive, I am thinking of buying extended warranty.  Do I have to buy their own extended warranty (thru UTS) or are there third party options such as SquareTrade?  If I have to use UTS, are there any coupons to lower the warranty costs?

Thanks again and I will keep you guys updated!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

We have found the UTS warranty to be worth the cost.  The guy comes out every year and fine tunes the treadmill (Nordic Track).  He has replaced several parts, too.  It's almost five years old now and gets lots of use.  We're hoping we can extend the warranty beyond five years, but I haven't contacted UTS yet.

Our console just shows distance and pace now.  Our 200+ pound teenager somehow fell on it or something, and damaged the screen.  Grrrrr.  Kind of looking forward to an empty nest.

Feeling the growl again

Thanks everyone for your responses and assistance.  As suggested, I called the customer service and after couple of troubleshooting steps, they ordered a new console.  I should receive it in next 5-7 business days and then will update this thread with how it goes.

By the way, given that many people are having problems and the parts seem to be pretty expensive, I am thinking of buying extended warranty.  Do I have to buy their own extended warranty (thru UTS) or are there third party options such as SquareTrade?  If I have to use UTS, are there any coupons to lower the warranty costs?

Thanks again and I will keep you guys updated!

It should be easy for you if you're swapping consoles yourself. Just make sure you understand how the connectors work before you start prying on them.

I am not sure on your warranty options but if you want to got that route I would highly recommend going through them.  The non-affiliated ones are probably going to give you a real hassle about actually doing repairs, and may have a bigger problem getting parts.  At least that has been my experience with such things.

I am of the opinion that extended warranties are a big rip-off scam.  But I actually bought them for my last two treadmills.  If you use the machine a lot, you WILL break it.  Just make sure the warranty covers things that break -- electronics, deck, rollers, motor.  A deck will run you $100-200 and a motor $500.  So the warranty pays off in 1-2 repairs.  The people who will get ripped off by treadmill warranties are people who rarely use them.  We put ~2000 miles a year on ours and I am on my third machine since 2007.

And, make sure you check that ground.  Smile

ebizash

ok.  I guess I will go with UTS then.  They have two options - standard and premier.  Premier is $289 for 5 years while standard is $179 for 4 years.  Is premier really that much more worth or should I just take the standard warranty?

Plus, are there any coupons to make it cheaper?  I looked around on the usual deal sites but couldn't find any so thought may be someone knows here of a coupon code.

Feeling the growl again

ok.  I guess I will go with UTS then.  They have two options - standard and premier.  Premier is $289 for 5 years while standard is $179 for 4 years.  Is premier really that much more worth or should I just take the standard warranty?

Plus, are there any coupons to make it cheaper?  I looked around on the usual deal sites but couldn't find any so thought may be someone knows here of a coupon code.

I'm not sure the difference between the two levels, aside from the extra year you'd need to read the differences.  I've never heard of a coupon code for these but that doesn't mean there isn't.  I've seen them give it cheaper if you buy it with the machine or within a defined period after.