4 weeks to race (Read 124 times)

erinr

I have a goal half coming up in 4 weeks, and I'm hoping for some advice about how to best use my time between now and then.

I haven't trained as much as I'd hoped, but I've been more consistent than for previous races.  My PR is 1:50:00 from May 2014, and I was hoping to break 1:45, but I don't think it's going to happen, so I'll be happy with a PR.  I ran 1:50:55 in a half today, on a course that's a little rolling.  The goal race is supposed to be flat and fast.  The weather should be slightly better, too, so I'm feeling good about my chances at a PR.

Any recommendations for what to do in the next few weeks?  I was thinking about a few fast finish runs, because I ran out of gas 11 miles in today, and my last few miles are usually my fastest.

hog4life

I think we all have have them lapses in our training. I would think breaking 1:50 is doable if you have an "on" day during your goal race. With just 4 weeks to go, I don't think there's enough time to realistically shoot for 1:45, but you might surprise yourself. I would try to get in some long - ish tempo run. IMO, the 10-12 mile runs with 8-10 at goal HM pace minus10-15 seconds is a good test of being pushed.

erinr

Yeah, I agree about the goals.  Ugh, those runs are the worst.  I think it's a great idea though, so I'll have to suck it up and do it.

onefatchick

Congratulations on your PR!

erinr

Thanks!!  I haven't been this sore after a race in a while Smile

Megan29

link spam...