knee cartlidge (Read 996 times)

Okay, am I spelling cartlidge right? I need your expert advice Wink Please don't flame me...I just want to run... Here's the deal. I had a MRI about a year ago and found torn cartlidge in my left knee. The doc said I'm right at the age where it may or may not repair itself. I practiced yoga and ran with 3 knee braces on. After about 6 weeks the pain was gone. (Still running 2-4) times weekly. Now I have the same thing in my right knee. I am not about to stop running yet (Have to stay ahead of that damn rabbit) Anyway, I will continue with yoga and the 3 knee braces, so my question is this...What else can I do, to speed up recovery or at least make it possible to run a mere 20 miles weekly. Ice? Heat? GNC supplements? Please help!
    Goals: Maintain 120 beat 5k time: 25:52 beat 10k time: 55:48 Complete one half-marathon-Jan. 10th

Now that was a bath...

Hi Chloe, Sorry to hear that you are having a knee problem again! Don't worry about the Pace Bunny - far more important to find out what's going on with your knee and get it better. My knee injury was cartilage related too. I didn't have a tear, it was just rough and inflamed. Mine got better with 10 days of complete rest/physio and I haven't had a problem since. Hopefully your injury will be a quick healer and if there is a tear it will be minor and mendable. I was told that if there was swelling - use ice as it will reduce it. If no swelling use heat as cartilage is a very poor healer due to the low blood supply to the area. Heat increases blood flow and is a catalyst to quick healing. Massage does the same thing - increases blood flow to the cartilage. I say rest - try some gentle massage and gentle heat, cross train on a bike if possible and ignore the bunny. He is getting way ahead of me too at the moment as I am recovering from a race and have a sore tendon but my recovery is most important to me in the big picture of my running. We can always catch the bunny later! Claire xxx
    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
        wow! You made me feel much better. I think I can run if I wrap it tightly and go slllllllllllooooooowwww. Like 12 min miles. That's okay with me though. I do not have swelling, so I will try the heat tonight. thanks again
        Goals: Maintain 120 beat 5k time: 25:52 beat 10k time: 55:48 Complete one half-marathon-Jan. 10th
          Certainly won't hurt, but give some glucosimine chondroitin a try. I started taking it to help with a recent knee injury and it worked better than anything else I tried.
          Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi Chloe, Sorry to hear that you are having a knee problem again! Don't worry about the Pace Bunny - far more important to find out what's going on with your knee and get it better --snip-- We can always catch the bunny later!
            Yep. What she said. Your long-term running health is far more important than a computer-generated idea... no matter how intimidating or how clever it is...

Roads were made for journeys...

Slow-smooth-fast

I feel your pain....in both senses. I have trouble with my lower knee/shin at the moment, had 5 days off running, and another couple yet before I give it a proper try. Hate not being able to go out and run, but I have to listen to my body.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Dog-Love

Chloe: I am going through what you are with my knee and I finally went to my favorite sports med doc (after 8 weeks of this) and he took x-rays of my bones (said I have bones of a 25 year old thanks to running) and then had an MRI. Seems as if I have a horizontal oblique tear in my meniscus which I have been faithfully running on (less mileage and slower) but running on anyway. Sometimes it really hurts and sometimes its just a bit sore and lately I have felt OK. So I am going in tomorrow to discuss the immanent minor surgery and get this over with because I really miss my regular runs and I don't think running with pain is an acceptable alternative. I am fascinated how I have slipped from page 2 to page 3 and now I am on page 4 of the running results for the 1000 mile club. I guess that will give me more folks to pass when I finally get back on track. I am not that concerned with the bunny ...really!
                Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                  I am fascinated how I have slipped from page 2 to page 3 and now I am on page 4 of the running results for the 1000 mile club. I guess that will give me more folks to pass when I finally get back on track. I am not that concerned with the bunny ...really!
                  Sorry to hear about everyone's knees! Sad I agree it's important to stay as non-injuried as possible. I like Claire's "We can always catch the bunny later!" since I will be joining that "club" too. I'm not going to be able to run for a bit, but the doc says I'll be able to walk. Heavy Sigh! So guess there will be a few of us catching the bunny later! Big grin So pass the ice pack!

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble