supplementing interval training with all-out intensity set on the punching bag (Read 1552 times)

dallasboycows

I work at a gym and get bored.  I recently got back into running and my legs of course in the beginning have been quite sore.  I figured since I can't run as much or hard as I want sometimes I would add some high intensity boxing sets of 30 secs.  It really is one heck of a load on your cardiovascular system.  I'm wandering if this would at all compare to running short intervals on the track.  I guess I'll see how fast my track intervals progress in terms of speed improvement and if my short interval endurance increases.

any thoughts??

Ask Manny P.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

dallasboycows

According to Pacquiao, he runs 10 miles every morning, does 2,000 sit-ups a day, eats 7,000 calories daily, and trains for eight weeks straight.

2000 situps.  Good lordie.  That would take me well probably all week. maybe all month.

xor

What name did you use last time you were here?

We've played Quiz Bowl before with you, I'm sure of it.

dallasboycows

What name did you use last time you were here?

We've played Quiz Bowl before with you, I'm sure of it.

huh, are you implying that, I've registered under another name before?  What purpose would that serve.  That's absolutely ridiculous.  john kuykendall, nice to meet you. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1249844192

Lane

Nice to meet you, John.  My name is Horace.  Horace Cheeseman: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1504196

xor

I do not believe in facebook.

runwietecha

It may help you burn some extra calories, which could help your running. However, punching a lot will just make you a more efficient puncher, not runner.

I work at a gym and get bored.  I recently got back into running and my legs of course in the beginning have been quite sore.  I figured since I can't run as much or hard as I want sometimes I would add some high intensity boxing sets of 30 secs.  It really is one heck of a load on your cardiovascular system.  I'm wandering if this would at all compare to running short intervals on the track.  I guess I'll see how fast my track intervals progress in terms of speed improvement and if my short interval endurance increases.

any thoughts??

The last white man to win Olympic (1980) 100m, Allan Wells of England, used to include a bunch of boxing exercises.  One of the sprint exercises I do (not myself but the one I give others! ;o)) is punching to get the feel of "stomping" the ground.  It's a simple physics of action-reaction.  You push your fist out in the front real hard and you stomp your foot down hard (on the same side).  This is a very effective exercise.

That being said, however, if you are talking about equivalent energy expenditure of boxing and interval (running) workout, especially talking about the activity of "running", then you are so far off that it's not even funny.  Let me ask you to use your brain and think about this for a minute; so you just got back to running recently and, for however much you had run, your legs are already sore.  So what does that tell ya?  YOU USE LEGS IN RUNNING.  So, in order to strengthen your legs further, you decided NOT to use your legs and substitute with boxing?  Now does that really make sense to you?  Boxing, to most people, is the act of upper body, especially particularly your arms.  When they punch the punching ball, or whatever they call it, their arms would become like rubber.  But also, most, if not ALL, boxers also run.  It is because some of (a lot of) aerobic development cannot be achieved by upperbody exercises alone.  Try to see how much you can bench-press with your arms vs. how much you can leg press and see which set of muscles are stronger.

I'm not saying that boxing is not a good over-all exercise.  It is.  It is enough to get your heart rate elevated.  But that is NOWHERE near what you can do with running. 

xor

I do believe in Nobby.

Purdey

Self anointed title

The last white man to win Olympic (1980) 100m, Allan Wells of England

Yeah baby. Never forget this.

As an ex-boxer I feel that I can chip in here. Nobby is on the mark with regards to it improving your running - it wont be as effective as running intervals. However, it is a great workout. You rightly point out that high intensity sets on the punchbag are a fantastic cardio and strength session. They also work your legs more than most people might realise. They aren't a substitute for actual running... but as some cross training? Yep. Very good indeed. I have never felt so shattered as I did after a session of 10 x 2 mins on the bag with 30 secs rest.

The last white man to win Olympic (1980) 100m, Allan Wells of England, used to include a bunch of boxing exercises.  One of the sprint exercises I do (not myself but the one I give others! ;o)) is punching to get the feel of "stomping" the ground.  It's a simple physics of action-reaction.  You push your fist out in the front real hard and you stomp your foot down hard (on the same side).  This is a very effective exercise.

That being said, however, if you are talking about equivalent energy expenditure of boxing and interval (running) workout, especially talking about the activity of "running", then you are so far off that it's not even funny.  Let me ask you to use your brain and think about this for a minute; so you just got back to running recently and, for however much you had run, your legs are already sore.  So what does that tell ya?  YOU USE LEGS IN RUNNING.  So, in order to strengthen your legs further, you decided NOT to use your legs and substitute with boxing?  Now does that really make sense to you?  Boxing, to most people, is the act of upper body, especially particularly your arms.  When they punch the punching ball, or whatever they call it, their arms would become like rubber.  But also, most, if not ALL, boxers also run.  It is because some of (a lot of) aerobic development cannot be achieved by upperbody exercises alone.  Try to see how much you can bench-press with your arms vs. how much you can leg press and see which set of muscles are stronger.

I'm not saying that boxing is not a good over-all exercise.  It is.  It is enough to get your heart rate elevated.  But that is NOWHERE near what you can do with running. 

I agree that running is much better for improving running, but boxing is in absolutely no way, shape, or form an upper body activity.  Power comes from the posterior chain -- the same muscles as running, the arms simply articulate that power.

Please start out by working with a QUALIFIED instructor.  You can do some damage to your hands/wrists with improper technique.  If you're doing this a lot, you might want to consider adding wrist/forearm/finger training exercises in.

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

Purdey

Self anointed title

They also work your legs more than most people might realise.

as some cross training? Yep. Very good indeed.

There's a video about Allan Wells here - I saw it on TV many years ago. It has quite a bit about his training if I recall correctly.

MTA - missed out the link Roll eyes - http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=4713

dallasboycows

well I knew its no replacement. Thts why I said supplement. I just thought maybe it increase aerobic or aerobic or VO2 max or something. I'm going to wear my Hr monitor today because it feels like it gets super high.