Intro and Shoe Question (Read 751 times)

Hi all, I just joined RunningAhead a couple of days ago and really enjoying it so far. I love the training log...better than any other I've found thus far. I've also been perusing some of the forums/posts and enjoying those, too. A little bit about myself: I'm 46 and have run off and on over the years, though never beyond a 4 - 6m routine. Usually, I get off track (pun intended) and end up ditching my running after a few months. This time, hopefully, I'll stick with it. I'm thoroughly enjoying it - a little obsessively, I might add. Quick question for those in the know on shoe models/styles. I picked up two pair of Nike Xcelerators at the end of July (the same time I began running again). So far, they're great. Very comfortable and seem to have enough cushion. I was simply wondering if this particular style is okay for longer distances, half-marathon and beyond. Please don't misunderstand, I'm a long way from entering a half. Still, are these okay for training and races of that length? One more quickie: If anyone is of a mind to do so, please check out my log (if it's viewable) and let me know if my routine seems appropriate for a beginner. All my runs say "EASY", but that's not quite true. Actually, they've all been rather difficult and rather intense (for me). Thanks a bunch! Steve P.S. Please forgive any errors in spelling, etc....this type is so small I can barely read it.
      If you'd have check in a bit earlier (before shoes), it would have been suggested that you purchase your first pair of running shoes at a running store. They could have evaluated your foot type and recommended a few appropriate models for you to choose from. With knowing your foot type, none of us can know if the Nike Xcelerators are good for you or not. At this point just run with them (no pun intended) and see how they work out. If you start having leg issues then the shoes would likely be the culprit and would need replacing. If you are having difficulty with your "easy" runs, you are likely running them at too fast a pace. None of your runs should leave you breathless. They should all be done at an easy "conversational" pace. That means it should be difficult but not impossible to carry on a reasonably intelligible conversation while you are running. Just be careful talking to yourself, most people think runners are a bit flaky as it is. Wink Tom
        Thanks, Tom, Yeah, since I bought my shoes I've seen much advice extolling the virtues of a good shoe fit at a proper running store. Oh well, too late for now, but maybe someday soon.... As for my easy/difficult runs, I wonder if it's even possible for me to run slow enough for it to be a "conversational" pace. Much slower and I'd be walking. My pace is somewhere around 11 or 12 minute miles. I'm up to about 4.3m, but that's where I begin to fade rapidly. Probably couldn't do much more without having a heatstroke and passing out. Smile That's why I say they've all been pretty intense. I've been pushing myself from the beginning....but I'm enjoying it. Am I overdoing it? Should I tone it down some, perhaps back to 2 and 3 mile runs? I just can't imagine trying to hold a conversation during any of them, even the shorter ones. Even at my snail's pace, I'm near maximum breathing capacity after a couple of miles. Of course, I just started a month and a half ago, having sat on the couch and added an extra thirty pounds or so during the previous three years. Sad Steve

flatland mountaineer

If you'd have check in a bit earlier (before shoes), it If you are having difficulty with your "easy" runs, you are likely running them at too fast a pace. None of your runs should leave you breathless. They should all be done at an easy "conversational" pace. That means it should be difficult but not impossible to carry on a reasonably intelligible conversation while you are running. Just be careful talking to yourself, most people think runners are a bit flaky as it is. Wink Tom
          Read this again.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

As for my easy/difficult runs, I wonder if it's even possible for me to run slow enough for it to be a "conversational" pace. Much slower and I'd be walking.
            Yup, and walking is fine if that's what it takes. As your conditioning improves you'll spend more time running and less time walking. Looking at your log, you are running quite a bit after only a month. You might want to consider cutting back a bit for a few weeks until your body has had time to adjust. Try to do too much too soon is a classic new runner mistake and can lead to burnout and/or injury. FWIW, I started out running 11-12 minute miles so I know what it's like. Just take it slow and be patient, progress will be slow but well worth the effort. Tom
              Hi r2farm, I did, and I think I understood what Tom was saying, but in light of my second post, I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at. I haven't run in years. Maybe it will just take time for me to reach the level of an "easy" run. Right now, they're all fairly difficult. And believe me, I'm running slow.... Guess I'm paying the piper for all those wasted hours in front of the television or on the sofa with a good book (well, maybe not the books). I was just wondering if I'm trying to do too much too fast. Perhaps I should do less mileage until they do reach the point of becoming easy runs. Steve
                Thanks Tom, Sorry, but I didn't see your message before hitting the "post" button on mine. Again thanks! Steve
                  Coming from a 15-16 min/mile runner I wanted to tell you it is possible to slow down! However, if running slower feels uncomfortable I would definitely recommend that you switch to a run/walk program. One thing I have read over and over on these boards is "easy" is the most important (and sometimes most difficult) thing for a new runner to learn. If it feels too hard at this point, it is not that you just need to get use to it, you need to be doing something different. You might try playing around with different intervals (1 or 2 minutes walking for every 3-5 min. running) Then you can build up the amount of time you run vs walk. Before you know it you will be running truly easy runs without the walking! Keep at it. I am the first to say....if I can do, I know anyone can!
                    Hi Debbie, You're right. The interval walk/run idea or just less miles in general sounds good. I definitely don't want to end up with an injury, especially having just started. Thanks, Steve
                    erendis

try the couch-to-5k program! there's a great group here on running ahead that supports C25K runners and beginners of all kinds. the program itself is from coolrunning.com, and there's even podcasts that can talk you through the different intervals each week!
                      I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso