2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Run Grandma's!!! We need to plan to meet up again for the 2nd time for a beer in the finishing area, because clearly neither of us met our goal at CIM to do so 

I may regret this, but I will volunteer to run the thread next year. I plan on 2 marathons next year, so why the hell not? Get ready for the return of your benevolent dictator 

Look at the ambitious youth. So full of energy. Just make sure you don’t hang out in the half marathon thread all year long. You’ll have to focus on the marathon if you’re the thread dictator.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - great result from you, considering you had so little time to train and you really got to great shape so quickly. I am still puzzled by your "adventure" near the finish. It's almost like a drunk Russian running a marathon. Glad you didn't break anything serious - just a nose Smile Kidding of course, hope it was just a brief loss of concentration. Btw, please make sure you register for London in October - I might have a chance to get there, it seems actually very real at the moment. London and then revenge race in Boston?

I didn’t qualify for London next year...but I entered the lottery the same as you!  I’ve started reading ‘The Secret’ book again and visualising us getting in...and of course I’m also visualising me beating you!

JT - Wow that sounds awful after your booster.  Our 6 months of normality/no restrictions in the UK sadly came to an end last week as we have a new milder variant which gives you a runny nose. In pre COVID days we used to call it a cold which was quite common during the winter months. I’ve decided to donate my vaccine to someone who needs it more than me...like someone who is either obese or over 80 years old.

Marby - Great RR!  I checked your race out on Strava and you ran it in Alphaflys?  What did you think of those shoes?

Piwi - You can humblebrag all you like as you’ve got a 100% sub3 marathon record!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

I didn’t qualify for London next year...but I entered the lottery the same as you!  I’ve started reading ‘The Secret’ book again and visualising us getting in...and of course I’m also visualising me beating you!

I do not know how, but you have to do better than just a lottery, because I assure you my chances to get in to London is far far better than lottery chance (I think it's even wrong to use the word "chance" in my case) - so, get your s**t together and make it happen.

JMac - looks like we are on the same running team?  Smile

RP - I see your name in the list, but I cannot find you on any of the teams...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I do not know how, but you have to do better than just a lottery, because I assure you my chances to get in to London is far far better than lottery chance (I think it's even wrong to use the word "chance" in my case) - so, get your s**t together and make it happen.

I am going to email Vladimir Putin and tell him that I have a good Russian friend on RunningAhead and need a London bib!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

I am going to email Vladimir Putin and tell him that I have a good Russian friend on RunningAhead and need a London bib!

I am afraid it will work against you as your good Russian friend left Russia 15 years ago for, as he thought, for a better pasture (we all making mistakes, right?) and never came back Sad

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

Cal I signed up too late to be on a team. I just posted in the thread because I thought that was how sign ups worked. I didn't click the link at the top.

Is 17 pages single spaced a lot for a race report?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Is 17 pages single spaced a lot for a race report?

I knew you wouldn't disappoint!

(Were you around RWOL a few years ago, when MrMattM broke 3hours in Chicago?  His RR was so long he released it in daily installments over a two week period.)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I am afraid it will work against you as your good Russian friend left Russia 15 years ago for, as he thought, for a better pasture (we all making mistakes, right?) and never came back Sad

Ah, so the grass isn’t always greener on the other side!  Hopefully we both run London next year, but you might find the course tough as it isn’t downhill. 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

That is nothing compared to turning your back on the metric system, that's your major sin 😀

Mikkey - The Portuguese government decreed that all restaurants must check if people have the vax passport.

The restaurants answered: LOL

I just realized something funny. In Portuguese there's a saying "Para inglês ver" which translated literally is "For the Englishman to see" but means "for the sake of appearances" and is usually used for government decrees which are for appearances only and nobody will ever follow the law. It seems to come from a time where the British crown would demand stuff from Portugal (one of their many vassal states) and Portugal would create a decree "for the Englishman to see" but nobody followed it 😆

Jmac was a great dictator over the sub 90 min half marathon thread. If he was able to rule the superior thread over there, I'm certain he can take care of this one

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - The Portuguese government decreed that all restaurants must check if people have the vax passport.

The restaurants answered: LOL

I just realized something funny. In Portuguese there's a saying "Para inglês ver" which means "for the sake of appearances" and is usually used for government decrees which are for appearances only and nobody obeys them.

It seemed very strict in Valencia.

Want a coffee or beer? QR code please.  Can I see a proper menu?  Nope, scan this QR code please. Sad times.

Cal - If you’re still training in max cushioned Skechers then check out the Nike ZoomX Invincible shoes as they have a nice bounce and great for easy runs. I wouldn’t pay full asking price, but if they’re on sale then check them out. 👍

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Jmac was a great dictator over the sub 90 min half marathon thread. If he was able to rule the superior thread over there, I'm certain he can take care of this one

The Milkman will be the perfect dictator for the marathon 2022 thread as he leads by example.

I’m sure that he’ll occasionally pop into The Waltons thread to say hello. 👍

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I’m sure that he’ll occasionally pop into The Waltons thread to say hello. 👍

Finally I'm too young to understand a reference 😎

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Finally I'm too young to understand a reference 😎

The Waltons are a lovely beautiful family....just like the folk in the half marathon thread. ❤️

It was a compliment. 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The Waltons are a lovely beautiful family....just like the folk in the half marathon thread. ❤️

It was a compliment. 

I will only pop in to that thread to say hello going forward. No more arguing about anything, just kudos. We will keep all the arguing in here, including our annual tradition around needling cal on CIM's ski slope course 

I was trying to think of a thread title. I don't like 2022 Marathon Training, as this probably isn't suited for beginners, but also sub 3:00 is very relative depending on age/gender. An older female going for sub 3:20 should certainly be here.

Will take any ideas people have.

Cal - looking forward to the team!

Mikkey - looks like NYCM is going to require a vaccine, would be shocked if they don't, so I guess you're out. I can't imagine Boston 2023 but we'll see.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I will only pop in to that thread to say hello going forward. No more arguing about anything, just kudos. We will keep all the arguing in here, including our annual tradition around needling cal on CIM's ski slope course 

I was trying to think of a thread title. I don't like 2022 Marathon Training, as this probably isn't suited for beginners, but also sub 3:00 is very relative depending on age/gender. An older female going for sub 3:20 should certainly be here.

Will take any ideas people have.

Cal - looking forward to the team!

Mikkey - looks like NYCM is going to require a vaccine, would be shocked if they don't, so I guess you're out. I can't imagine Boston 2023 but we'll see.

I believe "marathon jerks" is still in fashion?

also IIRC Mikkey has been vaxxed already.