Allergic to Running???? (Read 797 times)

Every now and then, after a run, I get this awful runny nose and sneeze for a day or two. Well I got it again today after my run, and I am frustrated with using up all my kleenex. I only happens every month of so, after running outside in the cold (today), outside in the heat (middle of the summer), inside on a treadmill, so I dont know what the deal is. (I thought it was going to be colder today than it was, so maybe it has something to do with overheating???) I also feel really tired. Histamine release maybe??? Does this happen to anyone else????
      I've never heard of that. Getting a runny nose after coming in from the cold's pretty common. Hayfever in Spring & Fall makes sense. From the treadmill...dust in the airducts of the ventilation system, maybe. But, you only get it once a month or so? What triggers a histamine release (I just looked on Wikipedia & am a little confused)? Are workouts particularly stressful/challenging right before the episode?
        I understand that a training program that is too strenuous can lower one's immunity (I guess too much of a good thing) so some runners may get colds more easily. I wonder if just maybe if you train very, very hard some of your allergies are triggered by too much effort. I don't seem to see what is the thing you are allergic to. Can't be running, how could anybody be allergic to running? Big grin But seriously, are there any other common factors besides running that is, that you can find? Like same clothes, same food, and so on. Ewa
        I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is it possible that you are just developing adult onset allergies? Do you have any history of respiratory allergies? I'm on Allegra year-round, but in the past week something has had me sneezing a lot. I thought I just had a cold, but the fact that it's just continuous and nagging makes me think some allergen is not being controlled by the meds. Your symptoms sound a bit like mine. Maybe you just have a variety of things that your body goes on the attack for. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Check this link, if you haven't already: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=636
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Exercise induced allergies. Just like exercise induced asthma. Yep. It's real. You can pre- or post-medicate with antihistamines.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Exercise induced allergies. Just like exercise induced asthma. Yep. It's real. You can pre- or post-medicate with antihistamines.
                You know, that kind of makes sense. According to my PCP Allergies, Asthma, and Eczema are a trio that tends to come as a package deal. I have year-round allergies and asthma that only seems to flare-up when I run (mostly when the air is really cold and dry or really humid--Summer and Winter running requires my inhaler). I also had my first bout with eczema around my eyes when I first started running (I was basically having an allergic reaction to my own sweat--wearing a wicking hat whenever I run solved that issue). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent - there is something very strange about your telling me the same thing on-line as you told me an hour ago in person. I appreciate it and am sure others who werent around this afternoon also appreciate your answer, its like deja vu or something. Wink The weird thing is that it is totally random and only once a month or so. If it was only when I went to the gym, I could blame the dreadmill or whatever. Or if it was allergy-season, I could blame that. But no such luck. And I wish my workouts were too strenuous - definately not the problem! Roll eyes As for respiratory allergies, very minimal\questionable history. The last couple years I think I developped allergies where I had these weird headaches (I never get them any other time) during pollen season which improved with clairitin or allegra, but not really any runny nose or watery eyes. I hear everyone gets allergies on moving to TN. As a child, someone thought I had exercise-induced asthma and I did use an inhaler for a while until I ran out and never refilled it. I definately have times, especially when it is cold or I am running hills, that my lungs feel tight and I think I am wheezy. (I dont generally take my stethoscope on runs!) Hard to tell if this is truly wheezing or just breathing hard. Also sometimes cough a bit after a run, but only for a few mins. Goes away pretty quick on its own. My family seems to have this tendancy to have a post-viral dry cough for several weeks - myself included, which it is pretty similar to my post-run cough. It definately gets worse when I run. But all these problems (allergies, cough) are very mild at the worst. Just curious if others have the same problem. But it seems like I am the lucky one. Roll eyes