Download log as an excel file (Read 39 times)

Fujiokan

Hi, I'm new to this website and apparently slightly computer illiterate, so I'm having problems downloading my log to a file I can open in Excel. I go to Tools, then Download Training log. Then which format should I pick? I go with the tab delimited and then download that. It creates a zip folder to my computer. I then open excel and then open the text doc called "log". It doesn't seem to recognize it and it opens it in more of a word looking document and it's all jumbled. Sorry if I'm not making any sense. Can someone give me a step by step instructions on how to open it so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Also, how far back will it download my training log? Does it do the whole thing? Like ten years from now, can I tell it to just do the last year, or amount since last download, or will it pull all ten years every time?

Thanks!

an amazing likeness

Within the ZIP archive you downloaded (xxxx.tab.zip), you would extract the "log.txt" file from the zip archive before opening it in Excel. Usually, you drag it from the archive to a location like (for example) desktop or documents.

Then open Excel, and when you tell Excel to open the LOG.TXT, Excel will walk you through importing the tab delimited file.

Shorter version -- pull the LOG.TXT out of the zip file and then have Excel open it, don't open LOG.TXT from within the zip -- that will just launch it in Notepad (or your text app).

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Fujiokan

Thanks, milktruck. I guess I didn't describe it well, but I did pull the log from the zip folder to another folder and tried to open it from there, and had the problem. But, maybe it's because I'm not using Microsoft Excel and was using the Open Office version. I've never had a problem with it opening any sort of csv or tab delimited file before, but maybe that's it in this case. I'll try it with Excel and report back.

Do you know anything about if I'm able to only pull a range? Or will it download the whole training log every time?

Thanks!

an amazing likeness

Do you know anything about if I'm able to only pull a range? Or will it download the whole training log every time?

Thanks!

You get your full log, not a range.  For a range you would want to use a report to view it here on RA, or use your OpenOffice Calc to sort and filter.

Quick wiki OpenOffice opening tab-delimited files is here.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.