Inserts for Supination? (Read 51 times)

Derf

I supinate only on my right foot. It's more noticeable when I walk than when I run, but for me running pretty much always involves an amount of walking.  I get this sensation that my right foot is trying to roll off the sole and bust trough the outside of the shoe. It's not a problem in and of itself. Like, it doesn't seem to lead to injury if I mange to just ignore it. The problem is, it's such a wonky feeling that I often can't ignore it, and just as a reflex I try to adjust my foot inside my shoe while running/walking, and that twisting motion can be problematic - causing knee pain.

I've tried many different running shoes. None seem to correct it. My left foot pretty much feels okay in anything, and my right foot pretty much always behaves that same way. I've tried different types of lacing - looser, tighter, different patterns. That doesn't consistently help.

If I happen to be running on a left leaning slope (like the way a sidewalk often leans on the right side of a road) that helps. I guess it causes my foot to move back more toward the center inside the shoe, keeping it from pressing against the outside as severely.

Another thing that seems to be true is that getting my heel very well situated can help. Altering my stride so that I land more on the heel first - that makes me notice it less. But I'm not interested in trying to alter my stride in any permanent way.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of an insert that can help to recreate these things that seem to help. So, one that holds the heel in place. Or one that creates that outside to inside slope. And if you have any other ideas, I'll take those too. The answer may well be to just focus on ignoring the sensation and letting my foot land how it wants to land. But, I just want to make sure there's not some easy cure out there that I haven't tried.

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Sit down on the floor with you legs extended and feet relaxed. Do your feet seem to turn inward? Mine do this which cause me to land on the outside of my feet when running. Before any serious runs, I stretch my feet outward by wrapping my foot with a strap and pulling on the outside of my foot. After 5 seconds per foot, I can see my feet aligning when I relax them on the floor.

This has helped me a lot over the years and I have very high arches. Give it a try.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

mikeymike

If it's not causing you pain or injury, I wouldn't try to correct it. Everyone is built differently.

Runners run

Derf

Sit down on the floor with you legs extended and feet relaxed. Do your feet seem to turn inward? Mine do this which cause me to land on the outside of my feet when running. Before any serious runs, I stretch my feet outward by wrapping my foot with a strap and pulling on the outside of my foot. After 5 seconds per foot, I can see my feet aligning when I relax them on the floor.

This has helped me a lot over the years and I have very high arches. Give it a try.

That's a great tip I've never heard before. Definitely notice the right foot doing that. I have a strap and I'll give that stretch a try before my long run on Saturday.

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I hope it helps a bit. I use a nylon cargo strap and wrap it around my foot serveral times to get a strong hold on my foot. My shoes used to wear down on the outside treads faster than the rest. Once I started stretching my feet like this, I noticed much more centered wear on my shoes.

That's a great tip I've never heard before. Definitely notice the right foot doing that. I have a strap and I'll give that stretch a try before my long run on Saturday.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

I may not be as severe as you, but I also roll along on the lateral edge of shoes. Some shoes are instantly bad, some start to fail after 100 miles. I've found that the kind, mostly trail, that wrap the midsole up a bit and cradle your foot are best. Several Hoka trail shoes do that, and the Challenger and Stinson are "road and trail" shoes and do fine on the road. Another option would be the New Balance Rebel, especially V1, as it includes a lateral flare for people who roll along the lateral edge like us. Kind of the opposite of a "stability" shoe, which has a medial post; these have lateral support.

Most of my miles are in Skechers MaxRoad, and they seem to do fine with my gait. Even though the foot isn't cradled much, I don't push out past the midsole.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Derf

I hope it helps a bit. I use a nylon cargo strap and wrap it around my foot serveral times to get a strong hold on my foot. My shoes used to wear down on the outside treads faster than the rest. Once I started stretching my feet like this, I noticed much more centered wear on my shoes.

Tried it before my 15 mile long run yesterday. It was definitely a better-than-normal day for the foot. So, early signs are that it was helpful. (It is also possible that all my attention was being taken by how cold it was outside). I used a resistance band, but the cargo strap makes sense. I'll keep this up and take note of how it goes over time.

Derf

I may not be as severe as you, but I also roll along on the lateral edge of shoes. Some shoes are instantly bad, some start to fail after 100 miles. I've found that the kind, mostly trail, that wrap the midsole up a bit and cradle your foot are best. Several Hoka trail shoes do that, and the Challenger and Stinson are "road and trail" shoes and do fine on the road. Another option would be the New Balance Rebel, especially V1, as it includes a lateral flare for people who roll along the lateral edge like us. Kind of the opposite of a "stability" shoe, which has a medial post; these have lateral support.

Most of my miles are in Skechers MaxRoad, and they seem to do fine with my gait. Even though the foot isn't cradled much, I don't push out past the midsole.

My current shoes are New Balance Fresh Foam Beacons, and I like the way those fit for the most part. I notice the Rebel is a try-before-you-buy option on Amazon, so I might give those a go when I need my next pair in a month or so.

Derf

It's crazy how effective this has been. Even without the strap, just focusing on stretching the foot in that direction prior to running.

My current shoes are New Balance Fresh Foam Beacons, and I like the way those fit for the most part. I notice the Rebel is a try-before-you-buy option on Amazon, so I might give those a go when I need my next pair in a month or so.

I can confirm that the Rebell-2 runs short, width is fine, so you need to go up 1/2 or full size for length.

Also, they can be had (in black) at Hibbett Sports for about $50! online

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying