Lower Achilles Tendonitis (Read 3110 times)

AleXC94

Hi everyone, I've been getting some pain lately in the lower part of my achilles. Most likely achilles tendonitis. Its right above the back of my heel where your achilles runs into your heel. I haven't done any workouts or hard running for the past two weeks but I just don't see any improvement. Is there anything I can do to facilitate repair? Any exercises? Need help from you Achilles experts. Has anyone else had this before? Thanks

Hi everyone, I've been getting some pain lately in the lower part of my achilles. Most likely achilles tendonitis. Its right above the back of my heel where your achilles runs into your heel. I haven't done any workouts or hard running for the past two weeks but I just don't see any improvement. Is there anything I can do to facilitate repair? Any exercises? Need help from you Achilles experts. Has anyone else had this before? Thanks

I had something similar. The pain developed gradualy over time, and eventually would not subside during my runs. I too suspected achilles tendonitis, so I went to a podiatrist. An x-ray revealed Haglunds Deformity/pump bump/heel bursitis. If you there's a tender spot on the back of your heel with you push on it, there's a good chance it's an inflamed bursa.

http://www.footphysicians.com/footankleinfo/haglunds-deformity.htm

I suggest you get an xray to confirm if this is what you have, or don't have.  

Good luck!

Same as Tom I had similar discomfort and found it was Haglund's deformity.  The clincher was when I realized it was not quite pain in the achilles but very uncomfortable at the very bottom of the tendon and only painful when my heel was bumped.  I mean it hurt like hell when my kids kicked me there while we would wrestle around.  I finally just quit running a year ago when I had both my plantar fascia and Haglund's hurting me. 

I started running a little again in July.  The fasciitis problem is still there a little but Haglund's hasn't bothered me yet.  I expect it will likely come back when I start getting over 100 miles a month.  The right shoes (or time without shoes) could help. 

AleXC94

Haglund's seems like a very likely diagnosis at this point. But did it hurt for you guys when you pinched the very bottom of your achilles tendon? Cause thats when it hurts for me the most. My heel bone is kind of sticking out when you compare it to the other foot but this might just be the swelling...

Haglund's seems like a very likely diagnosis at this point. But did it hurt for you guys when you pinched the very bottom of your achilles tendon? Cause thats when it hurts for me the most. My heel bone is kind of sticking out when you compare it to the other foot but this might just be the swelling...

yes it hurt to squeeze, push, or touch, and still does to some degree. If you have that "bump" it's likely haglunds, but I'd still see a podiatrist for a professional opinion.

I'm managing it with ice and lots of stretching, and sometimes NSAIDs. The podiatrist also prescribed some flector patches (http://www.flectorpatch.com/) that are suppose to help with the inflammation, though I'm not sure if they make a difference. 

I feel for you as I know  how painful this is. 

AleXC94

I've actually been experimenting with my achilles and all signs point to retrocalcaneal bursitis. I think the Haglund's may have caused by the bursitis but at this point im pretty sure its bursitis. ANyone have experience with retrocalcaneal bursitis?

I've actually been experimenting with my achilles and all signs point to retrocalcaneal bursitis. I think the Haglund's may have caused by the bursitis but at this point im pretty sure its bursitis. ANyone have experience with retrocalcaneal bursitis?

I'ts my understanding that it's all related, if not the same thing, but i think you stated it backwards. The Haglund's deformity is irritating the bursa, and results in bursitis. The technical term for bursitis in that area is retrocalcaneal bursitis. This is exactly the diagnosis the podiatrist gave me.

Here's a pretty dismal article on it: http://www.syracusechargers.org/therapy/chapt48.htm

Why is it sideways?

Yeah, about 4 years experience. Like the fellas said, it's all related with Haglunds and Achilles tendinitis.

What most helped me was actually switching my non-running shoes to a shoe with a heel (like a cowboy boot.) This seemed to give it relief during the day and allowed it to heal. I also healed while running in a shoe with a bigger heel (NB 890) instead of say something with a small heel drop like the Kinvara.

Or, maybe, after 4 years it just got better.

Anyways, it never got so bad I couldn't run on it, and ran my marathon PR with it. Time off didn't seem to do much.

AleXC94

Its actually good to hear that you guys were able to run through it. The only thing I'm scared of is that too much running on it injured could cause a calification which would really screw things over. Am i just overthinking?

Its actually good to hear that you guys were able to run through it. The only thing I'm scared of is that too much running on it injured could cause a calification which would really screw things over. Am i just overthinking?

No, you're not over-thinking it. It would be good for you to see how bad/big the spur is. Let the doctor advise you. My spur was pretty small  on the x-ray and that's why he said it was okay to continue running. The fact you said you have a noticeable bump leads me to believe your's is unfortunately pretty big. 

AleXC94

Thanks Tom

and Jeff, when you said you ran on it for four years, did you even notice it? Did you feel it when you took that first step in the morning or was it just on and off like it'd hurt one day and then not the next?

Why is it sideways?

Thanks Tom

and Jeff, when you said you ran on it for four years, did you even notice it? Did you feel it when you took that first step in the morning or was it just on and off like it'd hurt one day and then not the next?

It hurt every morning and then all day after the run. Always tender to the touch (had to avoid banging it against anything.) Usually, it would loosen up by about 10 minutes into the run, though, and I could run without favoring it.

When I was running high miles, 80+, I would take an Alleve every day and that seemed to really help.

Soar like an eagle...

I have  been battling the pump bump onthe outside of my right heal for about 6 years now. With that there is a definite sore spot on the heal, and like somepne else already said, it kills if you accidently bump it.

At one point it hurt so bad that my runs were just limps, so I tried Physio, massage, chiro to loosen up the achilles and the calf muscles, as the pain seems to be somehow connected to lower leg tightness. 3 years ago I bit the bullet and paid a lot of money for shock wave therapy, to break down the calcium build up and promote healing.  It worked amazingly well, Ran well for two years with custom orthotics ( which I hate because it adds so much bulk to the shoes). last winter after wearing my shoes for way too many miles ( at least i think that's what brought it back) the pain came back with a vengance.  Stopped running, swimming and cycling instead, and underwent the shock wave theray again.  This time the max amount of treatments. I am still waiting for the full healing, as the tx works long after the shock wave sessions are done.  So you have to take it easy for quite some time.  having said all that, my biggest problem are shoes. I can run pain free ( every other day) but it seems the footwear I wear at work and at home is the problem.  

I highly suggest having your gait analyzed and think about custom orthotics.  Without them, I would not be running at all.  Mine are made to stabilize my heal in a straight upright position, as I roll my foot way to much over the outside of the heal.  ( Forget what that's called..overpronate or supinate???)  when the outside of my heal of the running shoe wears down, then I am in trouble.  I am also wearing a stability shoe ( wish I didn't have to), Brooks adrenaline which was recommended by my orthotics guy. Hope my experience helps some what.  

AleXC94

Hydro, did your pump bump ever cause other problems such as achilles tendonitis or retrocalcaneal bursitis? Sometimes the calcified bone can rub against the tendon and cause other problems.

Soar like an eagle...

Definitley, the bursitis is now my biggest issue.