Question for Dogrunner - posterior tibial tendon (Read 1867 times)

How are you treating your posterior tibial tendon? How is it progressing? Thanks.
      Bump. Anyone dealt with this? What was the outcome? What treatment was used? How long to recover? Thanks.
      t_runner

I had pain on the inside middle of my arch that really troubled me on and off for a while. A sports doc diagnosed me with posterior tibial tendonitis - that is what was reaching under and attaching at the point I felt pain. Physical therapist got me doing all sorts of hip stability strengtheners, foot stretches, and calf stretches. I took about 2 weeks off in the beginning, but in the 1.5 years since then, it gets inflamed now and again and I have to take off a few days to a week. The green Super feet actually helped me get through the marathon I was training for at the time. I put them in a pair of kind of dressy Skechers and wore those to work every day, and wore them in my running shoes (Saucony Hurricanes). It limited the pain, although I think the exercises prescribed by the physical therapist were what actually solved the problem.. and even 1.5 years after it first started, if I go too long without doing the exercises, or increase my mileage at all quickly (even well within the famous 10% rule), I start to feel a bit of pain.
          T_Runner. Thanks. I am hoping it is only a strain and some time off will clear it up. I see my podiatrist tomorrow for a better idea of how serious the problem is what course of action to take.
          t_runner

You're welcome, good luck! Hope the doctor has good news for you.

Bugs

Bump. Anyone dealt with this? What was the outcome? What treatment was used? How long to recover? Thanks.
              I did graston treatment. Better in six weeks. I was able to train through it. Went from 25mpw week to 60 now. Seems fine but I have learned to cutback quite generously on my cutback weeks. MTA: Last year I had a tear where this tendon goes into your middle foot. Very painful. After two weeks of aquajogging, the podiatrist gave me styrofoam cushion inserts and was train for marathon without issue. I no longer use the inserts.

Bugs

protoplasm72

I currently have a partial tear in this tendon. Had the same pain in the middle inside of my arch that just kept getting worse. I took a week off and it was better for a few days but then it just kept coming back and getting worse. The docs got me in a boot now so I can't bend my ankle at all, been a month since ran and I can still feel pain if I push on the area. I've been in the boot for a week and probably have at least 1 more to go.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

t_runner

The two stories of a tear in this tendon is scaring me.. sometimes I feel the pain and I decide to push through because it will go away after 3-4 miles. I never know how far to push. I am concerned about mine because it keeps coming back just getting mileage up a bit over 40... I want to go up further than that. Bugs, that Graston treatment sounds interesting. I may talk to my doctor about it when it crops up yet again.
                  protoplasm72

If it makes you feel better, a tear doesn't start to feel better after a few miles. It just hurts all the time. I still wouldn't push it if it hurts but that graston treatment and some reduced training might be able to help you avoid more serious problems.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Hey yeah, it is much better now. Big grin...Did the PT thing (acupuncture and ultrasound probably total of 5 visits). The thing that really helped though was stretching my calves ALOT. When I woke up, while making breakfast, after the shower etc....probably about 6-8 times per day. Also I now wear running shoes in the house (an old pair), never bare feet and I threw out the flip flops (although there are a few brands out there that may be okay (birks, teva etc??). Now I get to deal with shin splints cause I'm at the "need new shoes" time and I have a race this w/e so I'll have to suck it up for another week...lol....hope your podiatrist was helpful...keep us posted.
                      t_runner

If it makes you feel better, a tear doesn't start to feel better after a few miles. It just hurts all the time. I still wouldn't push it if it hurts but that graston treatment and some reduced training might be able to help you avoid more serious problems.
                        Thanks, that seems like sound advice. I do hope to get rid of it a bit more permanently, I'm sick of reducing my training, it seems to happen too frequently. I want a log that looks like Bugs'! I think next time it crops up, I will head back to my doctor and see what he has to say about the graston treatments...