Isn't there a point to PRE-REGISTERING!? (Read 1036 times)

I'm sure for guys who've run a ton of races it's probably really not a big deal. What's another tshirt from a 5k no one has heard of anyway? lol. But for me, who is new to racing, the shirts seem pretty cool. My first 10k race didn't give out shirts and I was kinda disappointed! My first 1/2 marathon is coming up and they promised the dri-fit shirts to the pre-registered people so I"m really hoping to get it!

A Saucy Wench

And JK, very few races, in my experience, offer a shirt-free option and price point.
      A bunch of them do around here. ORRC actually does that for about 75% of their events. Which is both cool and too bad. It's cool to have the cheap option, but they usually put the option in when they are doing more expensive tech shirts. I like getting tech shirts at races because then I am not "spending money on running clothes" - Nice way to expand my running wardrobe and at the same time not look like I shop for a living. If I have to check the box and pay to get the shirt then I am shopping. Dont ask me why it's ok to pay $60 for a HM with a crappy shirt, but I shrink at paying $20 for a tech shirt for a $40 HM. "Running" is a non discretionary budget item. "Clothing" is discretionary.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Best Present Ever

My girlfriend would never forgive me if I didn't mention the lack of women's shirts... even the men's smalls don't fit her so I end up with two shirts from every race we do.
        That is my pet peeve as well. If I pay $85+ to register for a for-profit race,I want a nice, techinical tee that fits. It's super annoying to be told the shirts are 'unisex' sizes when I know that's just double talk for mens' sizes. I'm 5'3" and 125 lbs, so I'm not the tiniest woman runner around, and the small mens shirts are way too long and baggy. Our local 5K for the women's shelter gives out a cotton long-sleeved t shirt every year that usually has a cute kid's drawing on it (they have a contest each year). Weirdly, though, they never have smaller than a men's medium, when 85% of the participants are women, and the shelter director is barely 5 feet tall. I don't complain too much -- it's a charity -- but find it inexplicable. Given the number of women walking around swimming in their t-shirts post race, you'd think they'd get a clue one of these years.
          The shirt has a hideous design, according to you, and you wouldn't wear it even if the size was correct. The shirt you received was one size too big. (The horror). The RD stated you could email him/her and receive the correctly sized shirt in the mail in two weeks. It's been two weeks and you still aren't over it.
          Umm, Yikes! Black eye I AM over it. It only twitched me for about a 1/2 second, but I just wanted to throw the topic on here just to see if I was justified at wondering WTF? when I got the shirt. And as a previous poster said, I am new to running as well and don't run many races yet. So eventhough they are pretty ugly most of the time, I still hang them with pride in my closet to wear around the house or to sleep in. But I do like the quilt idea that JK mentioned - maybe I should learn to sew.
          xor

So you were miffed that they didn't have shirts in your size AND you were miffed that the race org offered to make it right and send properly sized shirts later? It seems that the only thing that might have made you happy was to receive the shirt your ordered... which is a fine thing, nothing wrong with that... but sometimes things don't go correctly. And not always because the race director is lazy or (fill in the bad thing). Though it is that sometimes. Anyway, they DID offer to make it right. Are you making too big a deal out of this? If it affected you for longer than 2 minutes and you sent a nastygram to the RD, then yes. If it just affected you for a second and you posted on a message board, then no.

So you were miffed that they didn't have shirts in your size AND you were miffed that the race org offered to make it right and send properly sized shirts later?
              I wasn't miffed that the RD offered to make it right. I just thought it was strange because they would obviously be losing money on that deal. I do agree it was a nice gesture though

Bugs

Ya, I hate cheap oversized shirts. It's really hard to know what size when you're female because you never know if your getting a female size small or a male size small.

Bugs