Hello (Read 87 times)

AnniceM

Hey. I'm new to the forum. I'm not a runner, but I want to start running. Can you advise where to start?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Google Couch to 5K - that's really by far the best program.

Resist the temptation to go faster than the program, to skip steps.  The big risk in starting to run is that the cardiovascular system adapts and responds much quicker than one's tendons and bones.  So...you'll get to the point where running feels surprisingly easy and you can do much more than the program outlines.  But...sticking to the program ensures that you don't get injured by ramping up quicker than your body can handle.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Adding to that — it’s ok to repeat weeks if you don’t feel ready to progress. I think it’s at week 5 where there’s a pretty big leap in run time (I may be remembering the week incorrectly, but I’ll never forget how tough it was).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

John Wood

When I went back to running after a 20 year hiatus, I used a variant of the Cto5K plan.  podrunner.com has a series of podcasts you can run to, one for beginning to 5K, then one to 8K, then one to 10K.  Also, as zoomy said, don't worry about repeating.  I started with the 5K plan and just ran every other day instead of 3 days a week and kept doing the same week until I felt comfortable enough to move on to the next.

Google Couch to 5K - that's really by far the best program.

Resist the temptation to go faster than the program, to skip steps.  The big risk in starting to run is that the cardiovascular system adapts and responds much quicker than one's tendons and bones.  So...you'll get to the point where running feels surprisingly easy and you can do much more than the program outlines.  But...sticking to the program ensures that you don't get injured by ramping up quicker than your body can handle.

Agree. It's easy to feel the need to do more. I filled that need with walking a few miles on the off-days from the C25K program.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

dcowboys31

I think the main thing is to start real slow and easy (pace and volume). Get a good pair of sneakers & socks (worth the money) and possibly a running watch that offers the basic functions (distance, time, hear rate) and at first maybe just run for time not mileage. So maybe 10 - 15 minutes easy running two or three days a week and see how that goes. Gradually increase the time as you go carefully assessing how you feel as you go out longer, making sure to use good form and assess any aches and pains you might start getting and deal with those accordingly.

I started a little over a year ago just by running 1 mile three time a week for 30 days as training for a 2 mile race. Once that was done I decided to keep going and trained for a 5K 30 days after that and used a training plan that just gradually increased the mileage it went like 1 mile Tues/Thurs 2 miles Sat...1.5 miles Tues/Thur 2.5 miles Sat...2 miles Tues/Thur 3 miles Sat and I really feel the gradual, easy build up in both mileage and effort helped me in not getting hurt as that was my biggest fear.

Hope this helps and hopefully you will keep everyone updated.

Jay