Running on Canadian Side of Niagara Falls (Read 645 times)

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Hello all,

Anyone here ever run along the Canadian side of Niagara Falls? I'm taking a family road trip, and one of our stops is Niagara Falls. It is hard to tell, looking at Google Maps, if running along Niagara Parkway or River Road is runner/pedestrian friendly. I'd love to park near the falls (we're camping a few miles in from the falls) and run 5 miles out, 5 miles back, along the river. If there are no good river-side, river/falls-view running areas, then I'll just run on ordinary streets from my campground.

Thanks!

chris

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

I did it a couple years ago and the road that runs along the river is mostly runner friendly. Nice side walk. I think I was more annoyed by the attaching red-wing black birds than the cars.  If I recall, you can go either direction for quite a few miles before running out of real estate.  As an added bonus, it's quite a hill from the main hotel area down to the river! 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I did it a couple years ago and the road that runs along the river is mostly runner friendly. Nice side walk. I think I was more annoyed by the attaching red-wing black birds than the cars.  If I recall, you can go either direction for quite a few miles before running out of real estate.  As an added bonus, it's quite a hill from the main hotel area down to the river! 

This.

Very easy to do. There is a nice greenway/sidewalk that goes along the river. I will look for my route, when I get a chance.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Cripes, I no longer have the GPS tracts. I apologize.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Thanks for looking, Trent. I appreciate the effort! And thanks, Tom, for the note.

I'm really glad to hear that it is possible to run alongside the river and falls in Niagara. I'm looking forward to it, as I love to run along great scenery (here in St Paul, MN, I run through a few miles of city neighborhoods, light industrial, and near an interstate just to get a chance to run for a few miles along the mighty Mississippi River ... and it is worth it!).

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Looks like I did do 2 ten mile runs, which means I was able to go at least 5 miles out before turning around. I remember going each direction, upriver and downriver.

If you want to do hills you can run up and down a walkway from the gift shop at the bottom to the fountain behind the Fallsview Hotel (or the Marriott?), otherwise the bike path past the power station upstream from the falls is nice, as already suggested.

Agree that another nice route would start near Lundy's Lane and go East (downstream) along the river.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I did some runs from the falls heading West and it was very nice.  The paths were excellent and it was pretty scenic

As a side note the Marathon comes from the West and ends at the falls.

Tomorrow will be worse

There are also pathways between the falls proper and Niagara-on-the-lake. I highly recommend a one-way ending in a vineyard. You might be looking at more like 15miles though, depending on where you start and finish. You'll be thirsty...

When I did the half marathon last year, I did a few extra runs the next couple o' days down by the falls.  The only advice I have is to run before the tourist come out to play.  It can get pretty crowded on that sidewalk. 

Also looked around Niagara-on-the-lake.  As mooyootoo said, it looked like it would be a great place to run.  If I go back, I'll be staying there rather than the falls.

I have found Google Street View is very helpful in determining whether or not an area is runnable. 

Have fun in Canada!

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

When I did the half marathon last year, I did a few extra runs the next couple o' days down by the falls.  The only advice I have is to run before the tourist come out to play.  It can get pretty crowded on that sidewalk. 

Also looked around Niagara-on-the-lake.  As mooyootoo said, it looked like it would be a great place to run.  If I go back, I'll be staying there rather than the falls.

I have found Google Street View is very helpful in determining whether or not an area is runnable. 

Have fun in Canada!

Niagara-On-The-Lake is just a beautiful place.  Truly, if I could find a job up there, I would consider moving.

Shame one can't say that for Niagara Falls. 

Jeff