7 Hour European Marathon Recommendations? (Read 42 times)

Tiger Rag

I'm looking at doing another marathon next year.

I did London last year, for which I was so under prepared for various reasons. I ended up coming home in 7:32.

I need a marathon in Autumn (I have asthma and find the heat makes it worse) or winter with a 7 hour + time limit.

I live in Plymouth, UK and am happy to fly. I don't drive.

I'd prefer somewhere flat, if possible.

All I can find (unless I'm looking in the wrong places?) is Dublin and York. Looking at Dublin atm, which is a bit quicker to get to - even if I fly up to Manchester from Exeter. I know there's Athens too; but have been told it's hot there in November?

Thanks.

running metalhead

I was checking the two big races here in the Netherlands and both, Amsterdam and Rotterdam have a rather short cut off time: Amsterdam 6 hours and Rotterdam 5:30.

Another good one is Utrecht, but again, the time limit is 5:30.

Why don't you run a trail race of 30-50km ? The pace is usually slower so that you aren't going to be in trouble whit breathing and the air is definitely cleaner. Another plus is that even if you reach the finish after the cut-off you will be received as a winner.

The cut offs for trail races and ultras are calculated based on a person hiking the race course.

I could suggest the Wisenttrail here in the Netherlands, it's a 50km race with only 300m height difference (thus practically flat) and a generous cut off of 8 or 9 hours. It's a small and cozy trail in September, easy to reach by public transport from Apeldoorn: 

http://www.wisenttrail.nl/

Good luck !

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
      - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
      - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
      - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
      - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
      - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)