H-Wave vs TENS vs hamstring healing (Read 67 times)

an amazing likeness

I constantly struggle with hamstring issues. No amount of dynamic stretching, static stretching, focused strength training, PT or anything keeps me immune from being 1 stride away from a grade 2 strain, or tendonitis so bad I can't sit comfortably.

I've been reading (superficially) on the TENS and H-Wave, and the descriptions are of pain relief as the primary benefit. Do these devices actually promote healing and muscle function restoration?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

kilkee

runktrun

Tchuck has some good insight and will probably weigh in.

I'd try the H Wave first.  Lots of peer reviewed literature out there, but yeah, mostly focused on pain relief and reducing need for pain meds.  Thinking about it in simple terms, my take is that anything that potentially increases/changes blood flow and disrupts scar tissue or promotes better collagen in connective tissue is worth a try.  At the very least, it might allow you to more effectively do PT or strength exercises.  My go-to is working my glutes and totally avoiding the hammies.

Most likely won't hurt, but then the main question is are you paying for snake oil?  n=1, I've had good results with ESWT on my Achilles.  Similar technology.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

SMART Approach

Sorry for long response bjt nere goes. I am a consultant with H-Wave and can certainly answer any questionson here and/or personal message. I can relate with chronic hamstring issues over the years. As a consultant I draw up protocols and help with exercises as well and can give you first hand experience. I currently have zero hamstring issues coming back from chronic high hamstring tendinapathy.

H-Wave is unique and evidenced  based and so multifunctional. On HIGH setting, H-Wave provides pain relief and as is FDA cleared to treat acute, chronic and post op pain as stated above but the pain relief is not a masking pain relief like TENS but more of a physiological response that can shut down pain for hours. It works on the sodium channel.  It has to do with the unique patented waveform H-Wave offers. All electrotherapy is not the same....how your body reacts to it is what separates H-Wave from other devices. H-Wave is FDA cleared to use as dental anesthesia to give you an idea how potent the waveform is in HIGH setting.

The LOW setting is where the rehabilitative properties take over. On this setting the FDA clearances are to increase circulation and angiogenesis, muscle re-education, improve function, reduce spasms, prevent or retard disuse atrophy, prevent DVT post op....it does an awesome job of preventing and treating swelling post op or post injury. I work with athletes where I direct them to put on H-Wave immediately after injury (instead of ice) to get the fluid flowing. The inflammatory phase is so crucial to recovery. We don't want to halt or delay this with ice. We actually want to accelerate this process which is where H-Wave comes into play. Post injury (or work out), using H-Wave provides non fatiguing rhythmic muscle contractions that then activate the lymphatic system to milk out excess waste and fluids post injury or work out thus enhancing recovering. Now that I am healed, this is where it benefits me most after my runs. I bounce back so much faster. At age 53 I am running better and harder than ever with no aches.

Inflammation and swelling are not the same. After a hard work out there is inflammation which is good. This is our body's innate response to injury. We can't skip this phase but we want to get through it ASAP to get it into the repair and remodeling phases. Swelling is the part of the inflammatory phase which is the body's inability to evacuate wastes and fluid in a timely manner. Why? After injury or surgery the body is not moving so no lymphatic activation. With H-Wave it keeps moving (active recovery) while doing no harm. You can recover faster sitting in a chair.

For chronic conditions, H-Wave benefits as well. I work with chronic hammy, elbow, shoulder, back and foot conditions. Yesterday I worked with a 12 month old plantar fascitis patient. A lot of these long term injuries go from tendonitis type conditions to tendonosis type conditions (I had this in hammys). Simply, you have diseased and congested tissue that does not function well. Diseased tendons give you chronic soreness when stressed or over stressed. The goal with H-Wave is to remodel the diseased tendons into a more clean red functioning tissue from the brown gooky tissue. This takes time but H-Wave has been shown to increase angiogenesis which is formation of new capillaries/blood vessels. With proper rehab work including strength work, H-Wave  can offer huge benefit. Locally,  the Green Bay Packers use it (have multiple units) and 100+ professional  teams and over 500 colleges (including WI teams) as well. Pepper, the head of athletic training for Packers told  me H-Wave is one of the favorite modality players ask for and they love it. I felt so strongly about this device and company, I left my past career after 14 years because I know I could change people's lives. The comlany is family run and not a big device company. They simply want to help and service people and always offer a 30 day money back guarantee. They also invest in a ton of training in consultants like me who help insure patients/athletes utilize the technology to get the best outcomes possible. This where ai can help and my exercise physiology background is of help as well. I hope this provides a little  bit of background and was helpful.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Tchuck, thanks for the background on H-WAVE. I've got a chronic upper hammy tendon (self diagnosed, so...). Whenever I combine too much speed/miles/sitting I tend to aggravate it, which is my current situation. This has been on/off for 10 years or so. Basically, when I aggravate it, running becomes slow and painful and sitting is a literal "pain in the ass." What are your thoughts on H-WAVE, or other treatments?

Christirei

im another member of the chronic upper hammy issues, i've been doing strength training specifically on my hammys for over a year, yet when i went to my PT recently for a different issue, she still tested that my right hammy is significantly weaker than my left, it was so frustrating, i'm currently pain free but i'm in the same boat, i feel like i am one speed workout away from being unable to run so i almost exclusively run easy

i've never heard of the HWave before, what type of waves are these? like a microwave type thing? ultrasound??

SMART Approach

Tchuck, thanks for the background on H-WAVE. I've got a chronic upper hammy tendon (self diagnosed, so...). Whenever I combine too much speed/miles/sitting I tend to aggravate it, which is my current situation. This has been on/off for 10 years or so. Basically, when I aggravate it, running becomes slow and painful and sitting is a literal "pain in the ass." What are your thoughts on H-WAVE, or other treatments?

I was there and know exactly what you are feeling for 7 years. You have tendonapathy or diseased tendons. When you stress them they get sore because 100% of the tissue is not viable so you have less good tissue doing all the work.  I had multiple treatments to get me to a tolerable level. When I started with H-Wave late last year.....it got me to 100%. H-Wave enhances blood supply, lymphatic activation which help flush out wastes. The goal is to get a cranked up circulation to the area. H-Wave device does not heal you. It helps your body self heal. It unique waveform creates a stimulus that your body responds to. This response is what helps you start sending in more nutrients, capillary development to remodel that damaged tissue. I also recommend a ton of glute work which I help with as well as a consultant.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

SMART Approach

im another member of the chronic upper hammy issues, i've been doing strength training specifically on my hammys for over a year, yet when i went to my PT recently for a different issue, she still tested that my right hammy is significantly weaker than my left, it was so frustrating, i'm currently pain free but i'm in the same boat, i feel like i am one speed workout away from being unable to run so i almost exclusively run easy

i've never heard of the HWave before, what type of waves are these? like a microwave type thing? ultrasound??

H-Wave is a form of electro-therapy.  There are a lot of electrical devices on market like TENS and other EMS but nothing like the waveform of H-Wave. It goes deep into the red muscle fibers (so non fatiguing) and about 10 times deeper than other e-stims and it also stays in the tissue about 10 times longer (creating a physiological response) all with a very low frequency on both the LOW and HIGH settings. Rather than square bouncy, harsh waveforms, H-Wave is a bipolar exponentially decaying waveform. This is what makes it different and rehabilitative. It is how your body responds to this waveform is what makes the benefits so great.  It simply frees up muscles and congestion like no other device can. AND, help you recover so much faster from your easy or hard runs or races. Like I said, the device itself does not do it, it is your body's response to the device's waveform is where the benefits are realized. if that makes sense. Hope this helps. PM or email me for more questions/details.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I was there and know exactly what you are feeling for 7 years. You have tendonapathy or diseased tendons. When you stress them they get sore because 100% of the tissue is not viable so you have less good tissue doing all the work.  I had multiple treatments to get me to a tolerable level. When I started with H-Wave late last year.....it got me to 100%. H-Wave enhances blood supply, lymphatic activation which help flush out wastes. The goal is to get a cranked up circulation to the area. H-Wave device does not heal you. It helps your body self heal. It unique waveform creates a stimulus that your body responds to. This response is what helps you start sending in more nutrients, capillary development to remodel that damaged tissue. I also recommend a ton of glute work which I help with as well as a consultant.

thanks for the information. very much appreciated

ChristineO

Tchuck - Is there an easy way to find H-Wave therapy in a specific area (location - city - state)? I keep checking local PT, chiro, etc sites to see if they have it and am coming up empty handed.

SMART Approach

Tchuck - Is there an easy way to find H-Wave therapy in a specific area (location - city - state)? I keep checking local PT, chiro, etc sites to see if they have it and am coming up empty handed.

Personal message me or email me tcharnetski@att.net and I can provide insight.