Advice needed on a treadmill with at least 15 inch screen (Read 140 times)

I'm looking for a good treadmill as our family runs a lot of miles. It has to go to up 12mph and would like it to do the online fitness stuff. I want to stay under 4000 and have at least a 15 inch screen.

Looking at Norditrack 2950, the new Pelton without the slots and the new Proforma 9000 (bigger screen).  I keep seeing so many negative reviews I'm quite worried. Any thoughts?  Anyone have these. Comments on iFit vs Pelton?  Am I missing another brand?

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
    • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
    • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

Our hack: Mount a TV the size of your choice on the wall in front of the treadmill.

Our various free craigslist treadmills over the years have changed, but the TV remains the same. An older 32" with a built-in DVD player. Remote is velcro'd to the treadmill control panel. With one particularly loud treadmill, I set up a headphone jack.

This way you are not limited by the screen on the treadmill, you can get any treadmill you want that meets your speed/incline/workout needs, and also a TV/screen that meets your viewing needs.

*I rarely run on our treadmill because I live in coastal California, but my life accomplice walks 3-4 miles daily while watching stuff. In bad weather I've watched an entire football game (Go Ducks) while running/jogging, walking during commercials. Works great.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm looking for a good treadmill as our family runs a lot of miles. It has to go to up 12mph and would like it to do the online fitness stuff. I want to stay under 4000 and have at least a 15 inch screen.

Looking at Norditrack 2950, the new Pelton without the slots and the new Proforma 9000 (bigger screen).  I keep seeing so many negative reviews I'm quite worried. Any thoughts?  Anyone have these. Comments on iFit vs Pelton?  Am I missing another brand?

My understanding is that the screen on the Nordictrack ONLY does iFit.  You can't watch TV on it, surf the internet, or use any other online fitness program.  Not sure if that's a dealkiller for you.

I considered the 2950 but nixed it, with one of the big negatives being the screen.  That is a BIG screen and since I'm small it is close to my face.  I don't personally like online fitness stuff, and I thought the screen would just get very annoying.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

I have a bigscreen TV in front of my treadmill, which is wonderful.  The display on the treadmill gives me the exercise data, but doesn't play other content. I'm totally happy with my set up.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

rmcj001

We have 2 treadmills, Sole f85 purchased in 2009 and a Matrix tf50 xer purchased in 2018.  The xer console is only 10", but can be purchased with the xir console that is 16" (you can also get the xr console, but that doesn't have the bells in whistles that you want). The TF50 is one of the quieter TMs that we were able to find. Of, course, we have our TMs setup with a large screen TV in our garage. I still use the Sole for most of my TM runs, mostly because it doesn't block my view of the TV .  The deck on the Sole is slightly wider, but the Matrix is adequate. I sometimes run on them barefoot and it is a good idea to move around on the bed when you do as hot spots develop if you don't and this is easier on the wider bed. That said, DW uses the Matrix exclusively because it is quieter. We've been happy with both TMs. YMMV

Ray

rufustrunt

I would highly recommend the Woodway 4Front. You could also look at the Technogym Artis treadmill. I've run on both, but we own the Woodway 4Front and I can say for a fact that the Woodway is a fantastic machine... a total tank. It's not really a treadmill, its more like an outdoor simulator machine. That Technogym piece is pretty fantastic though. They have a showroom in SOHO, and will certainly let you try one out.

We ordered our Woodway with just the simple, most basic display. After 5 miles or so the screen will be covered by sweat getting flung up there, so having a minimum amount of stuff up there is the way to go.

Make sure you have concrete floors in your work out room and at least a 10 foot ceiling.

If you want a treadmill, and will be using it, don't skimp on cheap crap, get the Woodway.

Thanks for the replies.  Does anyone use a TV with any of the apps?  One things that I think will motivate me is competing against others in the classes.  Would love to know how that works and if it can be done on your TV with Peleton or iFit?

BTW - would love a woodway but those are the price of a small cheap car.

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
                lindasaffell

Fighting senescence

Thanks for the replies.  Does anyone use a TV with any of the apps?  One things that I think will motivate me is competing against others in the classes.  Would love to know how that works and if it can be done on your TV with Peleton or iFit?

BTW - would love a woodway but those are the price of a small cheap car.

I haven't tried using a TV (a "smart" TV probably would work for it I bet, though.  We only have "dumb" tvs here).  But just to see if it would be feasible, could you just install the app on your phone, and try it there?  I know when Zwift and some other similar apps launched, I did try some of them on my phone with my TM.  It at least helps you know if you even enjoy the content and the competition aspect.

I have an ancient Proform, very bare-bones, although it has iFit connections.  I just never used them, because I am not a very competitive person I guess.

Yes, those woodways are gorgeous tho!

Happy Garmin newbie

Renewing my interest in running, sloooowly

Feeling the growl again

I highly recommend you mount the TV of your choice either on the wall in front of the treadmill, or on a stand in front of the treadmill.  In addition to all the advantages of being able to have exactly what you want and not be constrained by the sub-optimal options built into a treadmill, you can replace/repair more easily.  As a bonus you can mount it at the appropriate height to support proper running form.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

BCRV2, I don't think you suck cause the times you aspire to are very decent times IMO. I am also on the hunt for a treadmill and I am unfortunately addicted to the Star Trac pro series which are prohibitively expensive units with a 20' wide track and 60' length on 3 inch rollers. These are impressive TMs. I need a treadmill that absorbs the shock force of a heel striker but that can take the punishment without breaking down. I have looked at the Nordiktrack 2950 looks ok and  the Sole F85 which looks good specs wise. As far as the screen is concerned I have a bigscreen in my gym room so that is not a problem. Because my gym is in the basement, they have to take the TM down the stairs and set it up which might be a problem. Winter will be here in 3 days so running outside will no longer be an option for a while. I am in a quandary.

"run" "2" "eat"

i second this recommendation.

I highly recommend you mount the TV of your choice either on the wall in front of the treadmill, or on a stand in front of the treadmill.  In addition to all the advantages of being able to have exactly what you want and not be constrained by the sub-optimal options built into a treadmill, you can replace/repair more easily.  As a bonus you can mount it at the appropriate height to support proper running form.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Feeling the growl again

BCRV2, I don't think you suck cause the times you aspire to are very decent times IMO. I am also on the hunt for a treadmill and I am unfortunately addicted to the Star Trac pro series which are prohibitively expensive units with a 20' wide track and 60' length on 3 inch rollers. These are impressive TMs. I need a treadmill that absorbs the shock force of a heel striker but that can take the punishment without breaking down. I have looked at the Nordiktrack 2950 looks ok and  the Sole F85 which looks good specs wise. As far as the screen is concerned I have a bigscreen in my gym room so that is not a problem. Because my gym is in the basement, they have to take the TM down the stairs and set it up which might be a problem. Winter will be here in 3 days so running outside will no longer be an option for a while. I am in a quandary.

A sidebar to the thread topic, but (see my sig line) I've worn out 3 ~$1500-1700 treadmills.   I started with a Sole F85, it lasted about 3 years with a good number of repairs including several decks.  Then a NordicTrack Commercial that I had less than a year, it was broken as much as running.  5 or 6 decks iirc, a belt, power switch, drive belt, motor, 2 consoles, finally the main board.  I actually got NordicTrack to refund my money as a lemon.  Several others here got the same machine around the same time, I think there was a fair consensus that they weren't awfully durable if actually used.  Finally a LifeSpan, it was the most durable of the three, but still just ok.

One doesn't always have a choice, but IMHO one won't find any $1500ish treadmill durable under regular use.  Though occasional or light use they will of course hold up longer.

I've had a Landice for about 3 years now.  It doesn't get the mileage the others did but I haven't had a single issue yet.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Anyone looking for a home TM for $2K or less should be prepared for breakdowns, maintenance, and some fiddling. I have had a Sole F85 for 12 years, 8700 miles, 1300 hours. It is on its 3rd deck and belt, all replaced under warranty. Interesting story there, Sole arranged to have a tech replace the deck and belt the first time. The tech arrived with the parts, but they also shipped a deck and belt separately directly to me. The tech just told me to hang on to them. So when the deck wore out the second time a few years later, I replaced it myself. It's not hard.

Apart from the deck, the weakest link is the speed sensor connection to the main board. if the connection becomes lose, then the speed regulation can be unstable. The effects range from an interesting experience (sudden acceleration) to an abrupt shutdown with an error code (LS Error). On mine, I have some fine-gauge copper wire jammed into the connector to keep it tight to the control board pins. I have to wonder how often boards were replaced due to the "Low Speed Error" when the root cause was just wear on the connector and pins.

If I ever get another one, it would be tough to choose between a Sole and a Landice. I'm cheap and don't mind fixing things, but certainly there is a lust factor when it comes to Landice.

Spaniel, I hear you. I've not had much luck with TMs either other than the Star Trac (which I consider damn near indestructible). I don't however run any faster than a 6'40" mile and I prefer 7s after warmup. I have beat up on Star Trac Pros for 6 years at the gym I frequented and never had an issue with any of them. Unfortunately the cost is in the 10 k range (new) for the 5 - 7 CHP versions and I would have to be sure I can get it into my basement gym which is not guaranteed.Then it would have to be set up by a tech that knows what he/she is doing.  Also, it weighs a helluvalot which means manoeuvering the deck could be hell.... RunnerKSA I agree with you completely, I would be happy with that!

I did my homework on the Landice TMs L7 ($5,559.75) and L8 (6,189.75) and they look very well built but I wonder if I should go with the wider (22 inches) longer running belt of 63 inches versus the 58 inch running belt of the L7. The cost difference of the units isn't very much and it has 31/2" rollers as opposed th 21/2" rollers on the L7. Ideas anyone?