Boston Marathon Bracelets / Donations - $1500 raised so far (Read 365 times)

Dad on the run.

Hello everyone, I don't post here much as I usually just stick to my little beginner and beyond corner. However, I am trying to raise money for the Richard Family, they are the family that lost their 8 year old son Martin Richard in the explosions yesterday. If you want to simply donate anonymously that is up to you, however if you wish to donate and send me your address I will mail to you a Run for Boston - 4/15/13 blue and yellow bracelet once I receive them approx 2 - 2 1/2 weeks. I have already ordered 50 but have already went through those. I will have the fundraiser going for 30 days after which I will send the proceeds to The Richard Family If you are interested or have any questions please let me know.

Here is the link to donate

Richard Family Fund

My email is therunningnerd777@gmail.com

140/250 bracelets accounted for.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Is this another scammer?  Shameless.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

delicate flower

No, many of us know him online through this place, RW, facebook, and the various running games going on.  We trust him and a lot of us have given him donations.  We know who he is...it's not just some random username asking for money.

<3

Dad on the run.

It's hard to prove I'm no scammer as you don't know me. But I have been active on RW as well as the beginner and beyond section since May of last year. I would never dream of trying to scam people out of their hard earned money. Not to mention how sick it would be for someone to take advantage of a situation like this. I am a hard working honest man with a beautiful family of my own and I'm just trying to do something that I hope in some small way will bring comfort to this family who has experienced great loss due to the terrorist activities that happened Monday.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

The website I ordered the bracelets from are running a order 100, get 100 more for free (just pay the handling fee $10.00) I have ordered these so anyone who is interested just follow the directions from above and as soon I receive them I will start sending them out.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

Here is my original thread in starting this and you can see the replies I have from the beginners and beyond community. Hopefully this will at least prove I'm not trying to scam anyone.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/f32afa89815a456a8378d786107e552e/0

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Ok, sorry to jump to conclusions.  I've been seeing a lot of scams elsewhere about the marathon and also a lot of annoying conspiracy theories.  Having been there, I'm a bit sensitive to the topic I guess.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

What I'd really like to see is people raising money for the living, both the short term physical treatment (i.e. prosthetics for amputees) and  long-term mental health of those in the finish line area at the time of the incident. Please consider donating the excess of your $500 goal towards that, once it is clear what the main charity will be.  Millions have been raised for Newtown/Sandy Hook for those purposes. Chronic PTSD and Panic Disorder affect a significant fraction of survivors of traumatic events, as seen in 9/11 survivors and rescue workers.

BruceD555

What I'd really like to see is people raising money for the living, both the short term physical treatment (i.e. prosthetics for amputees) and  long-term mental health of those in the finish line area at the time of the incident. Please consider donating the excess of your $500 goal towards that, once it is clear what the main charity will be.  Millions have been raised for Newtown/Sandy Hook for those purposes. Chronic PTSD and Panic Disorder affect a significant fraction of survivors of traumatic events, as seen in 9/11 survivors and rescue workers.

Actually, I think Jimmy's original designee (The Richard Family) would serve all your functions. While dad was running the race the blast killed his son, a daughter lost a leg and the mom has a serious head injury ... survivors with lasting physical and emotional scars.

Train smart ... race smarter.

dickchase

The governor and mayor have set up the One Fund to help families directly affected by the bombing.

xor

Ok, sorry to jump to conclusions.  I've been seeing a lot of scams elsewhere about the marathon and also a lot of annoying conspiracy theories.  Having been there, I'm a bit sensitive to the topic I guess.

And this is not one of them.  I personally vouch for this guy.

Actually, I think Jimmy's original designee (The Richard Family) would serve all your functions. While dad was running the race the blast killed his son, a daughter lost a leg and the mom has a serious head injury ... survivors with lasting physical and emotional scars.

All victims deserve our support, and that is best done via a central charity.  That's all I'm trying to point out.  Glad to hear that they already have this going with the One Fund.

Chris T

All (legitimate) charity efforts should be appreciated. I chose to support this one. Good work, jblackjr.

Dad on the run.

Its OK and I don't fault you at all, I would have my suspicions as well.

On another note I have 88 of the 250 bracelets accounted for and we are already up to 1125 in donations. If this thing continues to grow and the mass majority agree to it I will certainly consider splitting up the donations to different charities. Please feel free to leave links to such charities. I would like to try and keep it related to Boston Marathon incident as that was the original purpose. Perhaps if they have a disaster relief fund or something of that nature.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

mikeymike

Please feel free to leave links to such charities. I would like to try and keep it related to Boston Marathon incident as that was the original purpose. Perhaps if they have a disaster relief fund or something of that nature.

As dickchase pointed out above, http://onefundboston.org/ has been set up as the centralized charity to help the victims of Monday's attacks.

I am aware of several funds for individual families as well but for the most part those are being organized by the communities/friends/families of those victims.

I understand why the Richard family of Dorchester resonates so much with people and especially with anyone with young kids. It is heartbreaking. But there are literally dozens of families who will need serious help and it's not clear at all who will need the most help. My personal suggestion for people who are not directly connected to one or more of the victims would be to use the OneFund. But that's just my 2 cents and I can certainly appreciate anyone trying to help however they see fit.

Runners run