What's up with my foot? (Read 1224 times)

dontpunchit

Well IDK if this is serious or not so I'm going to ask you guys..

Here's my story:

I've been running fairly consistently but low mileage for about 2 years. Recently I took a break of about 6 weeks with no running but an occasional 1-2hr session of full court basketball. Well I started back running a couple weeks ago. The last two runs I've been on I noticed a sharp but not killer pain on the top of my foot that would last ~ the first 1/2 mile of the run then go away.

A few hours after my last run (wed. evening) I noticed pain in that area when I move my foot around. Here it is friday morning and the pain is still there, possibly a little worse, esp. when I press on the area. Any ideas what it is, or should I have it checked?

Thanks

coastwalker

I don't know if this is your issue, but I wonder if you have a bruise on the top of your foot, and if you are tying your running shoes too tightly? Try loosening your laces and see if that helps. Maybe even re-lace your shoe so the laces don't cross over the area where you feel the pain. It should be helpful to find out if this may be the cause of your pain, or to cross it off.

Good luck,

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

...if you are tying your running shoes too tightly?

This is what popped into my head, too.  Overtightening the shoes did it to me back in the day.

dontpunchit

thanks for the replies. i wish i could have some faith in that theory.

i never tie/ untie my shoes. i just slip them off and on.

i don't really  think i could do that so easily if they were laced too tight, but i'll double check that.

thanks again

xor

The list of topics shows a thread called "what's up with my foot" by a poster named dontpunchit.

Indeed, that can be an issue.

dontpunchit

sure enough

#artbydmcbride

You never untie or tie your running shoes?  wow, you must have flexible feet.

Runners run

ymmv

pain on the top of my foot that would last ~ the first 1/2 mile of the run then go away.

You are aging. There will be more pains like that in many new places. The good ones are those that go away after a mile or so.

dontpunchit

You never untie or tie your running shoes?  wow, you must have flexible feet.

Well technically I tie them once but then don't untie.

How so?

dontpunchit

You are aging. There will be more pains like that in many new places. The good ones are those that go away after a mile or so.

I hear ya.

So I'm probably ok to continue running?

Feeling the growl again

They don't have to be laced too tight....just wrong for your foot.  Slopping around on your foot, or injuring it trying to squeeze back into your shoes rather than retying each time, could also be the cause.  If the shoe is too loose your foot muscles have to do extra work to keep it on correctly when you run.  I suggest you start tying them on each time and see if that helps after a week or so.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Queen of 3rd Place

I had exactly this problem when I took up running, as well as plantar fasciitis. Both got worse and eventually became debilitating. Went to a proper running store and had them take a look at my gait, and it turned out that my shoes were completely wrong for me. Problem fixed 100%, that was 4 or 5 years ago.

Ex runner

SMART Approach

Also try another lacing technique. Pin point pain at top of metatarsal could also be a stress reaction that when it gets worse can become a stress fracture. Keep an eye on it. Generally, a stress fracture does not feel better as the run goes on though!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

dontpunchit

well it hurt all day friday. that evening i decided to take a test run.

first 200 yards were uncomfortable... then it went away!

i only ran two miles then another two this morning... no pain at all

strange, but i'm not complaining

Bugs

I would go see a podiatrist. Podiatrist would likely do this test, in bare feet see if you can stand on your tepee toes. Look at your toes are able to put normal weight on your big toe? Are feet adjusting to putting the weight on the otter part of your foot? If you have supenation when you do this test go directly to a podiatrist. Best to do this test after running, or when you are hurting. If I had done that would have saved me a lot of misery figuring out why I was hurting.

Bugs