Different calf stretch (Read 354 times)

I've been ramping up the mileage the last couple of weeks and I have discovered I have one major flaw.  I CAN"T STRETCH! 

I have been starting out feeling a little tight and everything usually loosens up after the first couple of K but every once in a whie it doesn't loosen up and the pain in my mid shin is almost intolerable by 6K.  I know has something to do with the tightness in the muscle but I haven't had any luck stretching out my calves for the most part. 

I do the standard stretches we all learned in school.  Does anyone know of a better one or a site that has descriptions of better ones so I can avoid this in the future?

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

Don't overstride!

I have the same problem and have recently come across and article in Running Times that might help.Smile

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=21918&PageNum=2

Is the problem with your shin or your calf? Front or back?

xor

Yeah, what Tom said.  Intolerable pain in your shins (up front) sounds like shin splints.  I've never had calf pain (in the back, the big muscle) like that.

I never stretch before I run.  If you choose to start this, always always warm up your muscles before you stretch.  And look into 'dynamic movement' rather than static stretching anyway.

The pain is most definately in the front.  It could be shin splints from the extra miles I'm trying to but it only happens when the muscles around the knee and my calves in particular are very tight.  If I can "run loose" then everything seems alright. 

I don't stretch before I run normally but on the days when I feel this tightness I 'd like to loosen things up a bit after a couple of kilometers if they are working themselves out.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K